Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We've built something that can save civil servants thousands of man hours

Options
  • 05-09-2019 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I don't want to go into too many details for obvious reasons so apologies if this is all a bit vague.

We have built a solution for certain processes that would save civil servants thousands of man hours a year.

It's already operational and in use for a small facet of this type of purpose/requirement and certain official offices engage with it indirectly. There's a good chance that the requirement to use something like this will be rolled out further at some point in the future, massively widening the use of it (and its potential) so we went ahead and built it - our view was that if we don't do it someone else eventually will. It's practical, efficient and a clear time saver for all involved.

We're not sure what our next move would be.

If it were to go to tender it's the kind of thing that companies would submit proposals of hundreds of thousands of euro, but ours works great and is sitting here ready to go.

If we were to approach the official offices that can influence its uptake/potential, we'd be worried that they'd copy it or there'd be some other undesirable outcome - someone with a lot of experience in submitting for governmental tenders has told me that there's often a pre-chosen supplier and they release the tender just as a box ticking exercise, with the other candidates having effectively zero chance of getting the project. Since we don't have any kind of relationship with decision makers I'd be worried that they'd see the idea/execution and grant it to a current provider through this process, leaving us in the dust.

I had thought of approaching a local TD about it and seeing if they could advise which could also afford some protection from the above.

We don't have the resources to go the intellectual property route, plus there isn't that much that would be patentable (as far as I'm guessing).

Hoping someone here might be able to advise on what we should do! Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Talk to your local LEO(local enterprise office). They are also the gateway into Enterprise Ireland. Either of them can take a cold hard look at it and look at supports. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Firstly, well done on having built something useful for the public service.

Realistically, you are (a) under advised and (b) undercapitalised.

You want to win all these big contracts but you aren't in the position to actually get the contracts. You don't have expertise and knowledge about how the civil service procurement works. It is hard for a person doing the procurement to believe that you would actually be able to provide all the support that a contract like this would require. As you rightly say, you don't have the relationships with decision makers.

The very most the TD can do is put you in front of the relevant people in a government department (and he will be doing well if he does that). You will have to explain to these people what you are at and what you want to do. He cannot solve the fundamental two problems above. A government department will not sign a non-disclosure agreement to take a sales meeting.

All I can suggest is that you somehow build the relationships with decision makers. Can you get any sort of 'in' from the one customer you do have? Unfortunately the reality is that you will have to explain what you offer in order to do this. You can't keep it a big secret.

You will need to invest money in this process. These costs are a large part of the reason that vendors charge hundreds of thousands of euros for their services and products.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

OP.
    If you are going to be afraid people will copy you then you will get nowhere. Go the other way, share your ideas (sensibly) be first mover and keep pushing.

Some specifics:

Selling software to the public sector is fraught with issues on the public sector side. A few things to consider:

Who gains most if your products is used - understand this dynamic and why. That's your internal champion - the person who might go out on a limb to make it happen. Cultivate a close working relationship.

Remember most public servants have permanent posts so if their work is automated, what will they do? (Back to the who benefits most questions)

Public sector are unlikely to copy your product - they generally do very little intenral systems development.

Politicians are of limited value, they can make introductions but you will need to tell them your target.

Procurement - public procurement rules are complicated but not rocket science. You will have to understand them as it is how your customer will purchase.It may even impact your pricing strategy. Look up Office of Government Procurement for guidance as they run a lot of tenders now.

Finally, is there an existing experienced company with whom you could jointly tender?

Good luck with it. Keep talking to potential customers and keep pushing doors open. These conversations will inform your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

You'll spend your life trying to get into the civil service. It needs to go via a tender, for that youll need to find the right people with the need, then create the tender and even it does happen youll probably loose out to an an established player. And rightly so the public server must select robust partners.

The best way is to get in via a currently in-place tender. Sell to a current provider and let them take their margin. So for example a company like Version1 (the irish one) or another consultancy firm that have existing relationships and you can build a relationship with.

I work on a number government stuff but always via a bigger player. My suggestion is research companies like version1, build a list and see which one will give you an audience. If they think your product will allow them to expand their presence in government your on a winner, if not pack it in.

Local enterprise might help you identify an approach.

I really dont understand what a TD can do and it would really piss me off if I though that they would. Their job is governance, to make sure process is established and maintained (Smile).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cistu

Hi all,
    Thank you all for the replies and helpful advice. By way of an update, the solution has been gaining a little bit of traction at the intersection point between private and governmental usage. Private users have been utilising it and feedback so far has been very good.

Someone from one of the biggest operators in the country gave me a call after seeing it and said they showed it to a colleague who said "Damn, why didn't I think of that" and said they'll definitely be switching over to using it.

We hope that our private users will represent a majority of the big players in the private space, hopefully within the next few months. If they do there's a good chance the rest will follow, and the solution will hopefully become an informal 'standard' of sorts.

If that happens we should be very much on the radar of official decision makers who might look at this solution as being good for other, wider types of usage.

However we're a small, 2 person team. I can't expect that we'd be officially contracted to provide the solution for any type of scale without more clout and resources/infrastructure behind us, so finding a partner would seem like the way to go.

The solution isn't incredibly complex however, it can be built with a few hundred hours by a skilled developer. So I'm not sure if a big solutions provider would even entertain the idea of partnering with us since they could get a team to produce something similar within a few weeks.

Again any advice would be brilliant and much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Well done so far. Would a good Intellectual Property lawyer help to make the concept yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cistu

Well done so far. Would a good Intellectual Property lawyer help to make the concept yours?

Thank you! I don't think there's anything unique about the platform to be honest. I'd be surprised if it could be protected. Maybe I'm wrong though. Would they generally advise on whether something probably can be protected before taking on a contract do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I think you are too close to your project to see its future clearly. Nor do you have experience of dealing with or the procedures of state entities. Worse, you say that your project cannot be legally protected. (Even if it could, that is a huge legal expense that most start-ups cannot afford.)
    Looking at what you have written the following sentences are important.
    one of the biggest operators in the country gave me a call after seeing it and said they showed it to a colleague who said "Damn, why didn't I think of that" and said they'll definitely be switching over to using it.

The solution isn't incredibly complex however, it can be built with a few hundred hours by a skilled developer.

Gaining a state contract in the majority of cases is achieved by winning an open tender and on strict criteria. This is an EU rule. Generally, start-ups have no hope of getting a foot in the door.

Doing it on your own is a non-starter

You need a big partner; prepare what you regard as a fair deal, add a bit for wriggle room and then approach your chosen partner and agree a deal. I probably would structure it as a JVCO (to simplify revenue tracking) with the ‘who does what’ well covered in a shareholders agreement. A good partner could bring you to the next stage, would provide synergies (e.g. stronger brand image, use of their offices would reduce your outgoings, etc.)

A couple of years ago Boards had a thread on e-tenders. My views have not changed.

Best of luck with it, sounds like an interestin project.

Advertisement