Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a let down

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭daedal

sideswipe wrote: »
    Best of luck Daedal, hope it works out for you! I’ve friends that have done it and now they complain about other things instead of the weather. Things like-
    The pubs are crap
    The locals have no sense of humor
    The politicians make Irish one look good.
    Schools are too expensive.
    They live in fear of school shootings.
    And then sometimes they still complain about the weather being too hot! You’ll never beat the Irish:)

This is the thing, i will miss all of that and it's hard to beat the Irish, but I've heard Canada is pretty decent, not what you are trying to make out. The Irish weather is getting the better of me so it's time to see if i can be happy somewhere else. I can't continue to whinge on forums all my life! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Wasn't a bad summer overall. We needed the rain ( well some of it anyway) and it was generally warm(ISH)

Even when it rained, my ground was dry within 24 hours of it stopping.

June and July were ok, but August has been a complete washout. 214mm of rain in Galway city for the month to date! Almost more than the previous 4 months combined...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Must be hard having it all year round so..

Quite a lot of people have it all year round in Ireland. It's worse in winter when the days are shorter but relentless grey skies during the "summer" months can really get some people down.

We had 6 fairly decent weeks this summer, the last 2 weeks of June and most of July. Apart from that it has been sh!te but it's not the worst summer I've experienced by a long shot. The "summers" 2007 to 2012 were a horrific washout, I was on Vitamin D all year round those years. I take it most years September to May but I'm gone back on it now after going off it mid-June.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Worst summer since last summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The sun has just appeared here, hazily, briefly. It's currently 18.9C. The recent high was 19.4C. I've recorded 74.7mm of rain this August (March and April(barely) were wetter months this year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Today is the 19th day in a row it has poured rain in galway .
    I'm talking " Angela's ashes " style rain .
    Rain that when it hits the ground it comes back up a foot .

I can put up winters but I'm getting to hate our so called summers .
    The year is split in 2 .
    Cold rain and warm rain .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Today is the 19th day in a row it has poured rain in galway .
    I'm talking " Angela's ashes " style rain .
    Rain that when it hits the ground it comes back up a foot .

I can put up winters but I'm getting to hate our so called summers .
    The year is split in 2 .
    Cold rain and warm rain .

I've never witnessed an August as wet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Yes June and July were fine. Got loads done.

But August seems very wet. Is it breaking records?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Can people stop saying June was fine?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

June was extremely poor bordering on atrocious, especially the first half of the month. The final few days of June brought a hint of summer and July was decent enough as was the first week of August. The past 2 weeks haven't been great, a few nice days but plenty of unsettled conditions, the past 4 days have been a write off for most of the country.

The upcoming warm spell has been watered down alot, particularly in the west with spells of rain there over the weekend.

Will be interesting to see the rainfall totals to end this month. I'm guessing most places will exceed 100mm, with western areas finishing up between 200 and 300mm for the month.

My local station at Dunsany is currently sitting at 112.6mm which is getting close to double the average August rainfall, and we will have another 8 days of August left.

Athenry is currently sitting at 217.6mm.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    June was extremely poor bordering on atrocious, especially the first half of the month. The final few days of June brought a hint of summer and July was decent enough as was the first week of August. The past 2 weeks haven't been great, a few nice days but plenty of unsettled conditions, the past 4 days have been a write off for most of the country.

The upcoming warm spell has been watered down alot, particularly in the west with spells of rain there over the weekend.

Will be interesting to see the rainfall totals to end this month. I'm guessing most places will exceed 100mm, with western areas finishing up between 200 and 300mm for the month.

My local station at Dunsany is currently sitting at 112.6mm which is getting close to double the average August rainfall, and we will have another 8 days of August left.

The second half of June was very good, the first half was a piece of cake compared to the last three weeks.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The second half of June was very good, the first half was a piece of cake compared to the last three weeks.

Agh. It wasn’t! Maybe the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Depends where you were .

It was in Galway, more rain in August than the rest of the year combined

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The first 10 days of June were a complete washout with temperatures that wouldn't look out of place in December, right up until the last week it was mid teens at best for most of us with constant grey skies, Dublin airport didn't top 18C once until the 28th with rain on most days until the last week

A few days at the end of June and the second half of July are the only remotely summery periods we've had throughout here in Donegal, awful summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The first 10 days of June were a complete washout with temperatures that wouldn't look out of place in December, right up until the last week it was mid teens at best for most of us with constant grey skies, Dublin airport didn't top 18C once until the 28th with rain on most days until the last week

A few days at the end of June and the second half of July are the only remotely summery periods we've had throughout here in Donegal, awful summer

I live in Donegal and was just commenting to someone about the number of really heavy summer showers we have this year.
    They don't last very long so overall rainfall might be similar, but extreme downpours have been quite common.
    Maybe just dodgy memory but I don't recall as many in previous summers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Lads I've so much laundry built up to do for this alleged fine spell it's not even funny!!

Can people stop saying June was fine?

Looking at Athenry, the rainfall in June was less than average and much less than 2016 and 2017. It seemed like a very dry and pleasant month to me.

Looking at Athenry, the rainfall in June was less than average and much less than 2016 and 2017. It seemed like a very dry and pleasant month to me.

Oh fair enough. It was brutal in Dub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

June was fine? Where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Oh fair enough. It was brutal in Dub.

We had visitors last two weeks in June in Dublin and its fine . We sat out chatting a few evening . Cant give dates but I remember hanging out washing quite a bit in June

June was fine? Where?

The fields of Athenry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Cloudy rubbish cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Gonzo wrote: »

Even the last week of June wasn't really great for me, mostly cloudy with only about two nice days.

I didn't really mind June but I will admit that it was a horrible summer month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Even the last week of June wasn't really great for me, mostly cloudy with only about two nice days.

I didn't really mind June but I will admit that it was a horrible summer month.

I originally gave June a 1/10 rating and that was generous. We had low to mid teens all the way till June 17th with temperatures not rising above 18C till June 27th. The 28th to 30th broke the 20C barrier. Much of the month was cold, wet and sheets of rain and drizzle until the 3rd week. It really was a dire month and was the 3rd wettest month of the year so far.

August is currently standing at 114.5mm which is now our wettest month of this year so far, it has beaten the very wet March 2019 which finished at 109.4mm. Despite this high rainfall total, we had a very pleasant first week of August with temperatures in the low 20's and now the past 2 days have been really nice as well with low 20's and plenty of sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

August (74.7) is still drier than March(93.0) and April(76.2) here although it's getting close to April's value.

Advertisement