Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry Suits

Options
  • 18-04-2010 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Seen some of these around guys maybe 500 euro+ how good are they for sea kayaking i have cags and wetsuits etc but wondering are they worth it cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

They're excellent for cold weather. Can be a bit warm for hot summer days when a Kag is better. You can sometimes pick up military surplus once from England for about €60 new. They're Typhoon woss ones without the branding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Dry suits are deadly for all types of kayaking I have a dry suit and a shorty cag thats all I think ya need.
    Dry suit is way more comfy than a wet suit and will keep you way warmer once you wear a decent thermal layer underneath and there is no better feeling than stepping out of your dry suit and getting into the car after a good paddle nice dry and warm and watching your mates trying to shelter from the rain and get changed. :p
    Sure on a nice summers day or calm winters day out sea kayaking you wouldn't need to wear a cag really.
    The only thing is the latex of the neck seals and salt water can cause irritation if you are using it for long periods of time and getting really wet, but some suits do try combat this with outer covers and can have hoods aswell Kokatat do a nice sea kayaking Dry-suit.
    There are loads of options for drysuits out there so have a good look around.
    In my opinion they are totally worth the investment I got 5 years out of my first one and I only changed it because I out grew it I have the one I use now 2 years and its still mint.

Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Paddy
    irishcanoekayak.com

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭christramp

I started out in a wet and very cold winter in a two piece set and god knows how I made it through with many many swims. The dry suit is fantastic as paddy says the best bit is stepping out of it and getting into the car, no need to stand there freezing, drying yourself standing in mud and risking showing your arse off to passing motorists.
    There are a good selection of suits out there, I could be a bit biased but I say go for what your can afford. Check out the following
    Lomo
    Palm
    Artisitic
    Sandline
    Stohlquist
    Typhoon
    Kokatat
    All sorts to suit styles and budget, used suits are hard to come by and obviously are sized so that narrows the choice down further. Shop around and see if you can baragin on price especially if you are looking for a few bits.
    Cheers
    Chris
    kayakhut

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭decdev

Great stuff thanks guys:)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Just be careful if you decide to buy a used one. As a previous poster mentioned his lasted 5 years and he only changed because he outgrew it. He obviously looked after the suit well. If you get one that has'nt been taken care of (especially the seals) it will be useless.

• Advertisement

Seals can be easily replaced so if it is second hand make sure the material is all good, it fits well and the seals can be replaced for about €60 so u may get some money knocked off the price if you have to get new ones. :D

Cheers
    Paddy
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

Give these guys a look - they're based in Scotland, they manufacture their own gear.
    A few of the guys have these and they're just as good as the more expensive suits - as long as you like red or yellow!!

http://www.ewetsuits.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

where can you get the sandiline drysuits in Ireland? and has anyone any experience with the nookie assassin drysuit?

I-canoe should be able to get in sandaline I think give them a shout. As far as I know there is no Nookie dealer in Ireland (Open to correction) But ive read on the UK sites that they are good.

pmccormack wrote: »
    I-canoe should be able to get in sandaline I think give them a shout. As far as I know there is no Nookie dealer in Ireland (Open to correction) But ive read on the UK sites that they are good.

East Coast Canoe and Kayak in Donabate are Nookie dealers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 dubes

Dry suits are deadly for all types of kayaking

Try paddling a racing boat with a dry suit!

dubes wrote: »
    Try paddling a racing boat with a dry suit!

Does the Job on those really cold winters days training, sure what stops You paddling a racing boat or any boat in a dry-suit makes no difference at all what you wear, its your paddling that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 steveoracle

I've got an Artistic Aveto and love it to bits, wouldn't paddle in winter without it. We paddled The Racecourse Stretch of The Tees one day last winter when we had to break ice to get into the eddies. If you swam in that, without a dry suit, you'd be in trouble. Also recommended is the Palm Typhoon, Lomo, Typhoon Multi.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dubes

Does the Job on those really cold winters days training, sure what stops You paddling a racing boat or any boat in a dry-suit makes no difference at all what you wear, its your paddling that matters.

I would have to disagree, a wetsuit severely restricts your movement in a k1, not to mention what a dry suit would do . . also if you are training, why would you need a dry suit, you would be too warm!! A pair of shorts, one or 2 thermals and a good neoprene deck and your flying . . no need for a drysuit!

dubes wrote: »
    I would have to disagree, a wetsuit severely restricts your movement in a k1, not to mention what a dry suit would do . .!

Dry suits are made from ultra light materials these day and are specifically designed not to restrict movement. completely different to wet-suit.

You may not want to use it for K1 but someone else may the only rule is you must wear a PFD other then that you can wear what you like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Dry suits are made from ultra light materials these day and are specifically designed not to restrict movement. completely different to wet-suit.

You may not want to use it for K1 but someone else may the only rule is you must wear a PFD other then that you can wear what you like!

Stupid rule really for flatwater racing,PFD's aren't required on flatwater in any other country. Even the rowers dont have to wear them!!!

I agree but if it wasn't there it would just give some idiots the idea that they didn't have to wear them either. Unfortunately some people have to be protected from themselves, especially when water is around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Chiorino wrote: »
    I agree but if it wasn't there it would just give some idiots the idea that they didn't have to wear them either. Unfortunately some people have to be protected from themselves, especially when water is around.

I know, but what annoys me is that the racing sculls got an exemption, and racing kayaks didnt.

Advertisement