Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro Kayak Cyphur

• 14-03-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭

Hi, I got a kayak today. Its a Euro Kayak Cyphur.

Does anybody have any info on this type of kayak. Is it a good kayak for a beginner? I got it for free, i just wanna know if its any good.

Also does anyone know the specific spray deck that should go with it?

I have attached a pic of the same model.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 live to kayak

Hi there

I dont know much about the boat but it looks like a club series boat so ye more or less a begginers 'im guessing' where did you get it ( like a flat water club,white water club) you would get a feeling for what standard it is then. It does look like a very long creeker from the photo.

I hope this was some help
    Eoin:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi there

I dont know much about the boat but it looks like a club series boat so ye more or less a begginers 'im guessing' where did you get it ( like a flat water club,white water club) you would get a feeling for what standard it is then. It does look like a very long creeker from the photo.

I hope this was some help
    Eoin:cool:

Thanks for the reply Eoin. I have no idea where the boat came from. A fellow I know had it lying around. He said i could have it. Its pretty long alright. I only took it as I was hoping to get into kayaking and I didnt want to spend much on my first boat. I have everything i need now.

Save for a suitable spray deck.

Down the line I might buy a more expensive boat.

I just found a pic of the kayak on Ebay. This is it exactly. Down to the colour even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭ec18

looks like the boats we use for general plastic long distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

i know this has been said many times before on this foum, but if your're starting out kayaking, the best thing to do is join a club. If you look at the stickies you'll see plenty of info about clubs and courses run . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

just get a nylon adjustable spraydeck for it is probably best. you are a beginner, the boat is a beginner boat, might as well get a beginner deck. it will do fine to get you through until such time as you need to upgrade your boat.

• Advertisement

i know this has been said many times before on this foum, but if your're starting out kayaking, the best thing to do is join a club. If you look at the stickies you'll see plenty of info about clubs and courses run . . .

Ya I am gonna do a weekend course in the strawberry beds in Dublin in May. But in the mean time I wasnt going to turn down the offer of a free kayak.

just get a nylon adjustable spraydeck for it is probably best. you are a beginner, the boat is a beginner boat, might as well get a beginner deck. it will do fine to get you through until such time as you need to upgrade your boat.

http://www.kayaks.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=45

Would this one be ok do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 live to kayak

What club on the strawberry beds im in ICU but might get membership for white water aswell:D;):):rolleyes::cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

Deedsie wrote: »

ya, i would say that will do fine. but you should be able to find one cheaper than that. try putting an ad up on irish freestyle or something. you should pick something up second hand for under 20 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hey,

If you are new to kayakign I would suggest you get yourself some instruction from someone who is suitably qualified / experienced. If you contact the Irish Canoe Union they will definatly point you in the right dierection.

As for your kayak and its histroy, id be willing to bet that was one of the 100's of Cyphers that was bought by the Socuting Association of Ireland for a massive event that was held in Ballyfinn circa 1993/4

Get your self some instruction and enjoy your time on the water.

Adrian

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

I have some introductory/beginners kayaking courses coming up in the next few weeks if you are interested feel free to contact me.
    www.irishcanoekayak.com
    On the spray deck that one you have a link to looks fine, I use a seal nylon deck for my fleet of kayaks available at i-canoe and they are quite good.

Delivery for this was set at €32. Thats robbery. Thanks for all the replies.

I-canoe will look after you HERE

Adrian

I-canoe will look after you HERE

Adrian

Cheers for that Adrian. I just ordered it, any idea what the delivery time is like with i-canoe?

Ho worries,

I have to declare an inerest in that i-canoe is owned by friends of mine but the service is top notch. As for delivery, they are closed today will be open tomorrow and post it to you then.

I would be very surorised if you didn't have it before the weekend.

Enjoy, and if your looking for some intro kayak lessons I would really reccomend you drop Patrick for irishcanoekayak.com a line.

Adrian

Id say with-in the next week!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Etienne Muller

Cheers for that Adrian. I just ordered it, any idea what the delivery time is like with i-canoe?

i-canoe are very quick in my experience.

Et

I took the boat out once without any bouyancy floats in the back of the kayak. Could anyone recommend any floats i could use?

You need air bags for the back of the kayak you can get them at any kayak store through out the country or if you have a Tesco near by a cheap solution is the kids blow up body boards they sell in the summer! 2 of these in the back and job done.

Hope this helped

Cheers
    Paddy
    irishcanoekayak.com

pmccormack wrote: »
    You need air bags for the back of the kayak you can get them at any kayak store through out the country or if you have a Tesco near by a cheap solution is the kids blow up body boards they sell in the summer! 2 of these in the back and job done.

Hope this helped

Cheers
    Paddy
    irishcanoekayak.com

I can never find these in Tesco. What brand are they? Is there anywhere else in either Portlaoise or Limerick I could get kayak floats?

• Advertisement

They are just tesco kids inflatable body boards, Try river deep mountain High in Limerick or else you can order air bags online at i-canoe.com

Advertisement