Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad hands?

Options
  • 08-03-2010 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭

Last 2/3 weeks on the river my hands have been killing me. I've been getting blisters on my thumbs and a dull ache, that lasts into the next day. Is it just the cold weather? or does it have anything to do with the paddles? (TNP asymmetrics 45degree feather) or the way I hold them? (Gripping to tight etc..)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I used to get blisters on my hands the first time I took up kayaking, and then again, the first time I moved to kayaking every day. It could be either your hands just building up to the extra work you're giving them, or indeed you could be gripping them too tight. This can happen more if you're using gloves as well.
    Are you just getting into paddling, or have you been doing it a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I've been paddling for years and I still get blisters. Every. Single. Time! I've been told it's everything from holding the paddle too lightly, too tightly, not moving it enough, moving it too much etc etc Personally I think I just have very tender skin. I have found putting surf wax on the shaft beforehand helps. Also, use a cotton bud to put a tiny dab of methylated spirit on the area that's prone to blister. This toughens the skin up and prevents blisters occuring. Works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Thanks for the replies been kayaking about 18 months and it's only the last 2/3 weeks i've really been getting them

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

i never get blisters and never had. caroline gets blisters all the time. different people have different skin. also the type of shaft you have, the way you grip it, the amount you use it, and even the weather and your skins health will have an effect. the meth spirits trick does work well supposedly.
    what i get is wierd grouth on my heels where my heels contact the boat. kind of like a new set of heels beside my current ones. now thats funky!

Advertisement