Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spray deck for a Kayak, sizes?

Options
  • 06-02-2010 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

Hi, delighted to see this forum open. I am just getting into kayaking now! I have sourced most of the gear I need, I have a second hand kayak but I have no idea what size spray deck to put on it? Is there a one for all size or how does it work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hi, delighted to see this forum open. I am just getting into kayaking now! I have sourced most of the gear I need, I have a second hand kayak but I have no idea what size spray deck to put on it? Is there a one for all size or how does it work?

it depends to a extent if your new what you most likely have is a big boat! spray decks (well some of them ) come in oe general size! Hope I helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

what type of kayak is it??? most good canoeing shops like the great outdoors will tell you which size fits which models.

if you want to buy over the internet, try here >>> http://www.rasdex.co.uk/ , they give a space to fill in your make and model of boat when odreding, and will make it to the right size.

if you are going for a cheaper nylon deck rather than neoprene, the deck can stretch to fit most cockpits except those of racing k1's and k2's

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If you look up your kayak on playak.com I think it tells you what size deck to get.

What kind of boat do you have?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Cheers for the replies. The boat is in a friends house, i am gonna collect it next weekend. I am not sure what make and model it is.

It is similar to the kayak attached. I stole that pic off adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

It's a bit difficult to tell what size deck you will need, the picture there shows pretty old white-water boats, which tend to have slightly smaller decks than typical modern ones. If you can find out what make and modal it is, I or someone else may be able to tell you which deck is the best, but in the meantime, The Playboater Rec deck or the Palm Sports Spraydeck would be good options. They are both basic entry level Neoprene decks. Neoprene decks are a lot better than Nylon ones and those two are pretty flexible so should fit on quite a few boats.

With any deck, make sure you get used of capzing with it on, and practice getting out, as it can be a bit panicky for some people if they are not used to it and end up underwater in an enclosed kayak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Size of the spraydeck will depend firstly on what type of spraydeck you are getting. Nylon spraydecks are adjustable so fit the majority of kayaks available.

If it is the boat in the photo and you want a neoprene spray deck it will more than likey be a roto3 size. That boat has a smaller cockpit than the newer kayaks and would either be a 'keyhole' size (which can be very difficult to get) or a roto 3 size (both are very similar in size). You might have to order one of these spraydecks as most of the newer kayaks are either roto4 or 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

Looking at your photo, a P3 neopreme deck should fit that. P3 is a general size deck, would fit most plastic white water kayaks. P3 is another term for Roto 3 as Joey100 said.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hey,

THe RTM kayaks pictured use "Keyhole" size sprayskirts. You said you are only starting out so if the kayak comes with the Palm Nylon deck pictured I would hold off on upgrading to a neoprene deck straight away.

Any quality stockist of kayaking gear should stock a selection of keyhole decks, better still they should be able to offer you some sound advice on what kit you might invest in first or where you can join a club or get lessons.

If you let me know where you are baised I might be able to diffect you where you might go.

Adrian

Advertisement