Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayak/surfboard Carrier

Options
  • 08-03-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

Looking for a Kayak/Surfboard carrier! I tried Micksgarage but he doesnt have any carriers that can carry both kayak and surfboard. I have the roof bars got already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

What do you mean carrier? The roof rack is your carrier, unless you want something like uprights or J bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I think halfords have kind of U shaped bars suitable for boats and surfboards . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_216323_langId_-1_categoryId_212576

That is the only one i can find? Would anyone else recommend this? I have the bars already. VW Golf

Hi Deedsie,
    I'm just wondering why you're looking for the uprights? You can tie both boats and boards straight onto the roof rack, that's what's done pretty much all over the world unless you're using sea or racing boats, and those boats would be better suited to J bars, not uprights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Technically, should all boats not be carried on their side ? In order to protect the edges and lines on the body of the boat ? Plus you can safely carry four boats on their side instead of four boats stacked two by two on top of each other :)

• Advertisement

wet-paint wrote: »
    Hi Deedsie,
    I'm just wondering why you're looking for the uprights? You can tie both boats and boards straight onto the roof rack, that's what's done pretty much all over the world unless you're using sea or racing boats, and those boats would be better suited to J bars, not uprights.

It says it is designed specifically for kayak. For security mainly. Concerned the kayak could fall off. Dont want to damage the kayak having it tied directly to a bar. I just ordered the link above. €25 down from over €80. Ill report back whether or not its any good.

@Mugmugs,
    Nah, boats these days can take any abuse a roof rack will give them. Even if you pull hard enough to bend the hull around the bar, it'll pop out again when the tension is released. Of course, this is for plastic boats, composite ones really do need the J bars.
    And boats on top of each other is perfectly safe, and imo safer than on their side walls, as they're a lot more stable. I've taken nine boats on my roof, with no mishaps.

@Deedsie, if you're concerned about your prowess in tying boats on, just thread the strap through the grabloop, and then even if you don't have it tied tight enough, it'll still stay on the roof.

@Mugmugs,
    Nah, boats these days can take any abuse a roof rack will give them. Even if you pull hard enough to bend the hull around the bar, it'll pop out again when the tension is released. Of course, this is for plastic boats, composite ones really do need the J bars.
    And boats on top of each other is perfectly safe, and imo safer than on their side walls, as they're a lot more stable. I've taken nine boats on my roof, with no mishaps.

@Deedsie, if you're concerned about your prowess in tying boats on, just thread the strap through the grabloop, and then even if you don't have it tied tight enough, it'll still stay on the roof.

Well I am gonna get this one as I have it booked now. €25 is not too bad? I am picking up my Kayak Sunday. Need to get a suitable Spray deck for it. And then I am ready to go. Does anyone know any clubs around Nenagh/Limerick/Lough Derg? Do the accept members all year round?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Mark A

@Mugmugs,
    Having seen more then a few boat hulls being permanently oil canned because of over zealous strap tightening, I'll have to disagree with you there :P

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/st...egoryId_212576

I got this one for €25.89. Perfect for my purposes.

The exact same one is going for €83.50 on Micksgarage

http://www.micksgarage.ie/proddetails.aspx?pid=93304&pk=156F5

69% saving as of March 10 2009

• Advertisement
Advertisement