Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Never seen anything like this

• 01-12-2010 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Thought you guys might enjoy these. I'm not a photographer or anything, but this was absolutely extraordinary so I had to take some pictures. Basically, there's a huge water tower beside our house which for some reason or another, has been overflowing the past few days. I mean properly overflowing, right out the top of it. It's stopped now, but what has been left behind frozen is spectacular. Here's a few pictures of the trees at the bottom of the tower. Like I said, Im no professional, so Im sure somebody who's good at photography would love to photograph this properly!

(Note: Also, the base of the tower, the ground is really soft. I found this out the hard way. I sank as soon as I stepped inside the gate. Pretty scary, sank all the way up to my thighs and I'm a good 6'2". Had to phone for help. Very embarrassing. But that's besides the point :o )

Edit: My method of resizing these pictures was hilariously bad, but Owwmykneecap has kindly pointed out a good website for resizing them and keeping the high quality, so I've edit this post and swapped the ones I originally posted for better versions. I also found one I forgot to post first time round. Hope this isn't too much of a bandwidth hog.

UtCGZ.jpg
    1YBRB.jpg
    oBDxE.jpg
    2BJPp.jpg
    A4pNl.jpg
    Ot7bN.jpg
    k4dBc.jpg
    ZMzDT.jpg
    E0OFB.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

Wow! Thank you for sharing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Great pictures! Be warned though, this could lead to subsidence over time if you have a garden wall etc. nearby for instance. Equally depending on how close it is to your house, I'd be getting it looked into lest the great flood comes :O Very unique photos though, I'd send them into the paper, perfect for the back of the Examiner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭positron

Winter photos of the year! Spectacular!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

These pictures are amazing - thank you for sharing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

That is beautiful, I would love to have seen that! Bit scary that you sank in the mud though lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

cabot wrote: »
    That is beautiful, I would love to have seen that! Bit scary that you sank in the mud though lol

Damn right it was scary! I suppose it would be good manners of me to post up the hilarious picture of me with nothing but sheer terror in my eyes! Keep in mind I was sinking deeper and deeper in what was basically freezing cold quick sand!

10smallk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Unbelievable! Where in kilkenny are you???

Unbelievable! Where in kilkenny are you???

That's the water tower between Johnstown and Urlingford. I'm a stones throw away from it.

Just so nobody comes to any conclusions, I did not break the water tower by throwing stones at it either! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Brill pics. Well done.

For the record, next time you find yourself sinking in quicksand, spread your body weight over a large area to avoid sinking further. Put your hands / arms on the ground or even lie down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Basically, there's a huge water tower beside our house which for some reason or another, has been overflowing the past few days. I mean properly overflowing, right out the top of it.

Water is a weird substance. Just about everything else contracts as it gets cooler.
    At about 4*C (Refrigeration) and below, water starts expanding in volume to a max of 9% increase.
    So it's less dense. This would be why ice floats and pipes burst.
    I'm going to guess there's a lid on the water tower, and as the ice freezing and expanding at the top pushed down on the liquid water below it, it was forced out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Brilliant photos. Thanks for sharing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

:eek: Must eat those berries :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Amazing photos, never seen anything like that!

Should send them to the RTE weather comp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

Incredible photos, and thank God for mobile phones!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Fabulous pics Archie!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cartom

Amazing photos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I actually saw this on Reddit :) Fantastic pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Yeah me too. excellent photos.

Do you have high res versions? some would make a good wallpaper etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

WOW :eek: fantastic photo's....

Yeah me too. excellent photos.

Do you have high res versions? some would make a good wallpaper etc.

Yup, the originals are like 3000 pixels wide or something like that. My method of resizing them would probably make the professionals cringe - I opened them in Photo Viewer, pressed print screen, pasted it into Paint and cropped the rest of the screen out of it :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm no pro and I cringed!

Try www.imgur.com If you upload them there the will keep their full resolution and it has huge bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Wow! Incredible pictures. You should send these to the papers and to The Weather Channel in the US.

I'm no pro and I cringed!

Try www.imgur.com If you upload them there the will keep their full resolution and it has huge bandwidth.

Cheers, that's a great website! I'm editing the original post with higher res pictures from that site right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

What camera did you use tom? great pics!

What camera did you use tom? great pics!

My mum's camera phone believe it or not! And I'm damn lucky I did too, because I didn't have my own phone with me. Had I taken the digital camera instead, I would have had no way of phoning for help when I was stuck! :o

Edited the first post to include the higher quality pictures. Much better! Cheers for the advice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Lovely pics.
    Hope you didn't catch a cold getting them !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Absolutely stunning photos - particularly the ones with the berries. Thanks for sharing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

Amazing pictures especially for Ireland.

Its very like a weather type called freezing rain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezing_rain

images%3Fq%3DFreezing%2Brain%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D653%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=329&ei=dev2TPfNI8uK4QaGr4WyBw&oei=QOv2TOPPLMOcOuHy2dQG&esq=4&page=1&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0&tx=82&ty=72

freezing-rain-3.jpg

ice-storm.jpg

glass_freezing_rain.jpg

It can be very dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

po0k wrote: »
    Water is a weird substance. Just about everything else contracts as it gets cooler.
    At about 4*C (Refrigeration) and below, water starts expanding in volume to a max of 9% increase.
    I'm going to guess there's a lid on the water tower, and as the ice freezing and expanding at the top pushed down on the liquid water below it, it was forced out.

Yeah...but look at the pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Bodhisopha wrote: »

Submitted the close up of the frozen berries for the heck of it! Im sure there's plenty wrong from a professional point of view though, I haven't cropped them or messed around with the colours or anything which usually makes them look better for that type of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Amazing photos Tom, will take a closer look passing by there on Friday!

Danno wrote: »
    Amazing photos Tom, will take a closer look passing by there on Friday!

Whatever you do, do not under any circumstances walk directly underneath the tower! It went from solid frozen ground to sinky death trap in the space of one step!

Edited the first post to include the higher quality pictures. Much better! Cheers for the advice :D

If you're interested in how many views/much bandwidth they are using, right click the image and click view (well in firefox anyway) and change the url from for example http://i.imgur.com/2BJPp.jpg to: http://imgur.com/2BJPp

(i.e. remove the the i. at the start and jpg at the end.)

Now playing: Rage Against The Machine - Vietnow via FoxyTunes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

Amazing pictures especially for Ireland.

Its very like a weather type called freezing rain.

Wow! Thanks a million for sharing the photos!

I was just about to post the same info as bluecatmorgana. I've seen it before but never in Ireland... it's commonly referred to as an 'ice storm' and the results can be fascinating. A quick google search will throw up some cool results!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

po0k wrote: »

Nerd:p;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Amazing photos, great to see a 'post of the day' that isn't from the 'You laugh, you lose' thread in Cool vids, Pics and Links :)

Glad you got out safe too, scary! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 violeta8l8

Damn right it was scary! I suppose it would be good manners of me to post up the hilarious picture of me with nothing but sheer terror in my eyes! Keep in mind I was sinking deeper and deeper in what was basically freezing cold quick sand!

10smallk.jpg

OMG!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JohnSherwin90

Post them into RTE or The Mirror and get them published:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Post them into RTE or The Mirror and get them published:)

The Sun, first time something with their cherry in tact will have appeared on page 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    The Sun, first time something with their cherry in tact will have appeared on page 3.

why get the rags to publish, when you can get ngm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Oh my TOM....

AMAZING PICTURES!!!!!!!

I think you are a photographer,those are excellent :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭meercat

great pictures
    great story about how you got them
    thanks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

10smallk.jpg
    Took me a second to see this properly... I thought you were resting on your knees!

Fookin' hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Yup, the originals are like 3000 pixels wide or something like that. My method of resizing them would probably make the professionals cringe - I opened them in Photo Viewer, pressed print screen, pasted it into Paint and cropped the rest of the screen out of it :pac:

If you type in PIXresizer on google and download it. Its free software and good for resizing pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Just saw these photos on 'The Morning Show' on TV3, congratulations Tom, you're famous.;)

(Just to clarify, I wasn't subjecting myself to watching it by choice.)

Just saw these photos on 'The Morning Show' on TV3, congratulations Tom, you're famous.;)

(Just to clarify, I wasn't subjecting myself to watching it by choice.)

Serious?

Awesome, can't believe they showed them :D

Was this yesterdays (thursdays) episode? Any idea where I could watch it again?

Edit: Never mind, found it on the TV3 website! Thats awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Amazing pictures.....:cool:
    But who took the photo of you sinking in the MAD quicksand????
    Like, why did you have to phone for help???!!!
    Or am I missing something!

Amazing pictures.....:cool:
    But who took the photo of you sinking in the MAD quicksand????
    Like, why did you have to phone for help???!!!
    Or am I missing something!

Yup, I was by myself and luckily was using a camera phone so was able to phone to get some help.

Sadly, my families priorities are:

1. Photograph funny and/or embarrassing moments so the memory can live forever.
    2. Save me.

:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement