Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents house cannot be maintained

Options
  • 19-06-2019 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi Guy's,

Have an issue i'm hoping for some guidance on. My parents live in a large house in very rural part of the country. This house was always to big and difficult to maintain, this problem has been exacerbated due to my fathers failing health. While I do my best to maintain it's upkeep it's slowly getting worse.

I live away from home and am only back every other weekend so it limits the amount of work i can do. Unfortunately due to their poor financial planning they have no savings to pay for renovation/maintenance works (These would be excessive, new Boiler, plumbing issues etc..) as they live solely of their pensions.

Their aim is to try sell the house and move into something more suitable closer to the local town. However due to the houses current condition and location i cant imagine it would sell to quick if at all.

I guess i'm asking to see if they're are any possible solutions to this situation that i may not have thought off.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hire in a property maintenance company or builder to price for remedial works, repair of anything that's already decayed and preventative maintenance on everything else.
    It frees up your time but at a cost.
    Agree a repayment schedule with your parents for repayment on sale of the property.

I would stress however, that I'd only advise that necessary works be done.
    Prevent water ingress, repair damp and any broken windows and so on.
    I'd also consider external cleaning and decoration of the property, light garden maintenance.
    Kerb appeal can make as big a difference to prices as a good BER imo.
    People get emotionally attached to the presentation of a house, not it's BER.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Looly8726

Maybe just put it on the market and see what sort of interest, if any, there is. Without money to spend on the renovation then it’s likely that there isn’t another option.
    If the renovations were done, there is still no guarantee of sale so that could be wasted money if it were spent. Sometimes people like a renovation project and putting their own stamp on a place.
    They could be lucky and someone local may be interested in taking on the project.
    It depends then if the value of the house in its current condition would pay for the smaller property closer to the town.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Talk to a couple of local agents. They'll have a better idea of the current local market/demand/prices and should be able to give you an idea whether you should do any renovation work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Budget 10-15k and make it look pretty, from the kerb, entrance hall and living room. And sell it.

That might require plastering some walls, replacing doors, fixing obvious damage, etc, and a fresh coat of paint throughout. And get rid of clutter when the house is being viewed (best done now, rather than when they're moving)

Don't even think about replacing boilers, insulating, plumbing, rewiring, ber ratings, fitting a new kitchen, etc, as you won't get the money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

Have read of this, may help you in someway
    https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2019/0618/1055951-are-you-a-homeowner-you-may-qualify-for-these-lucrative-grants/

Housing Aid for Older People Scheme
    Similar to the Mobility Aids Grant Scheme, this scheme exists in order to facilitate older people with more complex needs to live at home by upgrading their properties. The maximum grant amount available is €8,000.

Do I qualify?

In order to qualify for this scheme, you must:

Be over 66 years of age (although exceptions may be made by local authorities).
    Have a yearly income of less than €30,000 in order to qualify for the maximum grant rate of 95%.
    Have a yearly income of between €30,001 and €35,000 in order to qualify for the next greatest grant rate of 85%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MagicManCan

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all the quick replies. I will give one of the local agents a call and get their opinion on getting it on the market as it. The best we can hope for really is that someone would like to have it as a project while i try maintain it as best i can.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The local social welfare officer will write big one off cheques for exceptional needs items - this includes boilers, plumbing, electrical problems that might be a fire /H&S risk,dampproofing etc Approach them item by item. You need a ttradesman to write a letter to verify it is broken and the full costs of fixing it - present it to the office and they will pay for it. No need to sell up or force your parents to move.

As an outline ballpark you might remember the guy who had 30,000 in exceptional needs payments made in Kerry sometime earlier last year - only came to light when he was done for using fake ID to work at the same time. 30,000 was a ginormous amount I.thought but apparently.people run this kind of bills up over years for.this and that and once it is legit and verified and your families bills and food/health/lx/insurance/phone/petrol outgoings consume.the pension and overheads they have it will be paid on proof of need. Just approach them item by item - not everything at one go.

Honestly, if they are out rural and he can not get to them much except at weekends then moving closer to the town (with hopefully some cash left over from the sale) might still be the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Honestly, if they are out rural and he can not get to them much except at weekends then moving closer to the town (with hopefully some cash left over from the sale) might still be the better option.

Depends on what they want to do.

There is a lovely wee house down the lane here on the island with a brand new roof. The old man there as soon as he was of the right age got the whole roof replaced free.

But reading your post, they want to move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Don't like to be negative but if the property is very rural as described, then regardless of it's condition it just maybe hard to sell. There's rural parts where people want to live but equally tracts that are just being steadily depopulated for all the various reasons - lack of employment, distance of services etc etc. Pretty decent bungalow not far from we live and been on the market for 2+ years now and this is still a relatively well populated area.

• Advertisement

Any Estate Agent would give you honest advice on valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Pretty decent bungalow not far from we live and been on the market for 2+ years now and this is still a relatively well populated area.
    Has it dropped in price at all? Sometimes people try to sell at what they think it's worth, rather than what they'll actually get.
    antix80 wrote: »
    Budget 10-15k and make it look pretty, from the kerb, entrance hall and living room. And sell it.
    Could be 10-15k wasted, as the new owners may not like your taste.

Would advise to tidy up the garden (mow lawn, etc), tidy up the outside & inside of the house, and have an EA look at it and tell you how much you think you'll get for it. Also, is there much land connected to the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Agreed... get them to move now while your fathers health still allows them too.

Your parents are in completely unsuitable housing, and are going to be (or are) house poor.

A nice bungalow in the town will give them a far higher quality of life.

Maintenance will far easier and more affordable, downstairs bedrooms will ensure they can stay in their new home as long as possible without a stairlift etc, they will be in a more social location, not reliant on a car (they won't be able to drive forever), far cheaper utility bills.

They will have more money in their pockets for things they actually want to spend it on.

It's a no brainer OP, it will make their lives more enjoyable and it will make yours easier. I know it's tough on them to move, but the few months of stress will pay off so quickly.

the_syco wrote: »
    Has it dropped in price at all? Sometimes people try to sell at what they think it's worth, rather than what they'll actually get.

Also, is there much land connected to the house?

Just checked and see it's now 'Sale Agreed'! Surprised though it took so long.

Yes, re OP - if there's land with the house, that would likely make it more sale-able to local farmers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

as they live solely of their pensions.

Would that not be circa 1600 a month? While hard to do, it might be worth addressing the current financial planning situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

i would advise you to not invest a penny further in the house and sell the house , if you drop the price low enough it will sell and use the money to buy a little townhouse in the nearest town with small areas to be maintained nice warm central heating modern kitchen etc. as your parents are getting older location is paramount. important to be near the action , near other people, the shop the church the cafe the doctor etc. this avoids isolation and loneliness etc.

I think you shpuld adopt an approach based on your parents long term needs and safety rather than one that is focussed on making the most money etc. as they get older they will only get more vulnerable

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MagicManCan

Hi,

Thanks again to everyone for your input. Ideally my parents and I would not like to put any more money into it as it's not sustainable in the long run so we don't want to carry out the upgrade ourselves as we don't think we'd get the equivalent return in any sale price. As of now i'm already focusing on cleaning up the exterior to keep it presentable (Lawns, Driveway, Painting). As one poster mentioned, a move is required for my parents quality of life in the future so if a sale were to cover the price of a small bungalow near the local town that would be great.

I will keep you updated after i talk with an EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Hi,

Thanks again to everyone for your input. Ideally my parents and I would not like to put any more money into it as it's not sustainable in the long run so we don't want to carry out the upgrade ourselves as we don't think we'd get the equivalent return in any sale price. As of now i'm already focusing on cleaning up the exterior to keep it presentable (Lawns, Driveway, Painting). As one poster mentioned, a move is required for my parents quality of life in the future so if a sale were to cover the price of a small bungalow near the local town that would be great.

I will keep you updated after i talk with an EA.

I would do the stuff thats cheap or relatively free (but time consuming) eg paint, powerwashing the outside, the drive, weeding, nice lawn, declutter, fix any broken windows or doors (not new ones but repair handles and the entry door locks).

I would leave anything that costs >1,000euro - as everyone says you wont see it back. However if the house is not presentable in the photos less people will come to view it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As of now i'm already focusing on cleaning up the exterior to keep it presentable (Lawns, Driveway, Painting).
    Take the photos during a nice day. Looking at drab houses on grey overcast days will just have people skip it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

I would put it on the market and see what interest there is.

You would be surprised what people buy, especially if there is a bit of land. My husband's uncle's house went up for action recently and it was a wreck, hasnt been lived in for many years, all the plumbing and wiring had been robbed out of it. It's a bog standard bungalow so nothing particularly impressive about it and it sold for 145k, double what they were looking for.

It's worth a shot to see before you invest any money into yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

A site with a house (even the ruins of a house) is worth a lot to some people as they can rebuild the house even if your not from the area an have no housing need

A site without a house is worth less especially if your not from the area and dont have no housing need - u may never get planning

JJJackal wrote: »
    A site with a house (even the ruins of a house) is worth a lot to some people as they can rebuild the house even if your not from the area an have no housing need

A site without a house is worth less especially if your not from the area and dont have no housing need - u may never get planning

That's true particularly in an area where there is a demand for housing, but if it's the 'arse end of nowhere' and no offence to OP as we don't know where it is, many houses just fall into disrepair and eventual ruin. Parts of rural Ireland are 'littered' with old house ruins abandoned over recent decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Even from what the op describes, it's a long way from ruins. It will have a value significantly higher than ruins as it's essentially liveable and may not require that much cash to modernise it. It's just not something they can afford, but that doesn't mean there's no market.

Advertisement