Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

male chicks can't be killed any more.

Options
  • 14-06-2019 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/toetung-von-kueken-heinen-esser-jetzt-ist-genug-getestet.694.de.html?dram:article_id=451333
    German text

male chicks of breeds used for laying eggs can't be shredded or gassed any more.
    The judge who made the ruling put a stay on this to allow industry to change over.
    The fertilised eggs will be sexed before hatching and eggs containing male chickens will be destroyed there an then.

Expect this to happen within about 1 to 2 years.

mandatory sexed semen for dairy cattle would be the next logical progression toward making dairy farming more humane.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

rivegauche wrote: »
    https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/toetung-von-kueken-heinen-esser-jetzt-ist-genug-getestet.694.de.html?dram:article_id=451333
    German text

male chicks of breeds used for laying eggs can't be shredded or gassed any more.
    The judge who made the ruling put a stay on this to allow industry to change over.
    The fertilised eggs will be sexed before hatching and eggs containing male chickens will be destroyed there an then.

mandatory sexed semen for dairy cattle would be the next logical progression toward making dairy farming more humane.

Yeah posted on that a while back. The industry has been working on fertilised egg sexing for sometime and there are a couple of commercial systems in development afaik.

Thing is already in Ireland some producers rear male chicks as broilers. It's a market which could be grown imo.

Edit: Meant to add this ...

Research in Germany has also been looking at developing specific breeds which suit male chicks being reared for meat

https://thepoultrysite.com/news/2019/03/the-dualpurpose-chicken-the-future-of-poultry-farming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

A dedicated laying hen is not similar to a roast chicken in the same way as the beef industry don't want dairy breed cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

A dedicated laying hen is not similar to a roast chicken in the same way as the beef industry don't want dairy breed cattle.

Much of the beef on shelves in Ireland is dairy beef. Good beef it is too.

_Brian wrote: »
    Much of the beef on shelves in Ireland is dairy beef. Good beef it is too.

It is not what the industry wants and you'll find a lot of it is dairy cross, not pure dairy. I'm not disputing quality but dairy beef isn't the same as beef from a beef breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It is not what the industry wants and you'll find a lot of it is dairy cross, not pure dairy. I'm not disputing quality but dairy beef isn't the same as beef from a beef breed.

In what way?

• Advertisement

See the linked article added above.

https://thepoultrysite.com/news/2019/03/the-dualpurpose-chicken-the-future-of-poultry-farming

The difference between a a chicken and a hen?
    A hen lays egg and a chicken is for the table ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭redroisin

German text

Making it mandatory for calves to stay with their mothers for at least 3wks would be even better

German text

Great move.
    The industry here needs to keep pushing towards free range only birds. A minimum age for killing would be worth considering to stop high intensity indoor rearing.

gozunda wrote: »
    See the linked article added above.

The difference between a a chicken and a hen?
    A hen lays egg and a chicken is for the table ;)

A chicken is an everyday term for Gallus gallus domesticus

• Advertisement

Diary cross cattle like Hereford or Angus cross actually produce a great product. We rear them here as do many farms.

Mooooo wrote: »
    In what way?

Moooo asks how to not be beef?

A chicken is an everyday term for Gallus gallus domesticus

I know that - the above is a kids riddle

Diary cross cattle like Hereford or Angus cross actually produce a great product. We rear them here as do many farms.
    It isn't a dedicated beef breed in cold hard economic terms that means least inputs for maximum output.

There are lots of stuff like this that could be implemented to improve animal welfare.
    Sadly much of the influence stems from large farms feeding into representative groups who lobby government.

Consumer would do well to support more small producers be that vegetable, meat, eggs and dairy. Keeping away from shopping in large supermarket chains is the first step to reduce their power and influence over the food chain,

It isn't a dedicated beef breed in cold hard economic terms that means least inputs for maximum output.

Traditional breeds inch as Hex or AAx can be finished on a grass based diet excluding the need for an intensive feeding stage at the end. Better for animal, better for the environment too.

Plus the calf is there anyway, where in an suckler enterprise it means having another cow in the system.

Traditional breeds inch as Hex or AAx can be finished on a grass based diet excluding the need for an intensive feeding stage at the end. Better for animal, better for the environment too.

Plus the calf is there anyway, where in an suckler enterprise it means having another cow in the system.

That is not international "best" practice. Note the inverted commas.
    International "best" practice is to rear pure beef breeds for fastest weight gain with leanest possible beef.
    At the moment Ireland can compete while practicing less efficient(and more humane) practices due to the good fortune of a mild climate and wealth transfers to the farming community.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Will this make any difference to the taste of my omelette?

That is not international "best" practice. Note the inverted commas.
    International "best" practice is to rear pure beef breeds for fastest weight gain with leanest possible beef.
    At the moment Ireland can compete while practicing less efficient(and more humane) practices due to the good fortune of a mild climate and wealth transfers to the farming community.

We can’t dorectly compare systems across countries, we have a unique climate here and lots of land that can grow nothing but grass so we’re well positioned for this.

I see an increasing presence of “pasture fed” beef, maybe it will die out, maybe it will gain popularity.

Carbon sequestration into soils depends on pasture grazed stock rather than housed stock fed rations.

I think we need to be limiting the % of animal life spent indoors, restricting the emergence of feed lots and maximising our green grass credentials.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Will this make any difference to the taste of my omelette?

It will make a difference to a lot of vegetarians I would think.

But if you are after flavour and really good eggs - keep your own hens or source small scale free range eggs locally. Check out that the hens have full access to pasture. Plenty of small scale producers out there doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭redroisin

German text

Please tell me "shredding" isn't done while they are alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

redroisin wrote: »

It's not done any other way - hence the abhorrence of the poultry industry by vegans including myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

redroisin wrote: »

Possibly upsetting video below

https://twitter.com/animal_leaks/status/1138527108374962177

It's not done any other way - hence the abhorrence of the poultry industry by vegans including myself.

It’s a truly barbaric carry on.

It’s a truly barbaric carry on.

Gas is also used in a lot of the industry. However even this will be redundant once egg sexing becomes the norm.

Not used by many smaller scale free range organic producers

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

German text

Good news, albeit a mere wisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Maybe I missed this here t but when I lived up in far Scotland they raised the male birds and sold them for food, boilers, excellent value> They were also used for pet food

When I was hatching eggs there the cockerels would be raised then used for food.

These days a good layer breed is not a good, fat, plump broiler breed and requires more input for less output. These are frankenstein birds, not general purpose birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

These days a good layer breed is not a good, fat, plump broiler breed and requires more input for less output. These are frankenstein birds, not general purpose birds.

Ours were, well mixed breed is the only word. Not fat plump etc but they still tasted wonderful.

I am getting too old for this world ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

The real issue is if we can get these chicks a sex change and hormone therapy...... That will solve their problems.

Advertisement