Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads slow site to a halt on Chrome on Android

Options
  • 17-04-2015 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭

The touch site has become unbearably slow in chrome. When you open a page it will slow to a halt when loading before finally responding once the ads have loaded.

I suspected the unresponsiveness was due to the ads so I tested it out by installing an ad blocker.

When running the ad blocker it's night and day, pages load instantly and it's like I'm using a different device.

Other sites with ads I don't have this problem with, no undue load times.

It has to be due to how the ads are integrated and loaded for this site?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Came on here to post the same thing. Didn't bother testing with an ad blocker, just noticed chrome getting very laggy whenever there were ads on the page. Fine without.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭brevity

Was going to post this the other day but I didn't know if it was my device or the site. Chrome and Dolphin browser stutter and flicker when browsing the touch site. Its pretty much unusable. I also think it must be the number of ads on the page.

I've resorted to using Firefox with the ad blocker enabled at its a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

brevity wrote: »
    Was going to post this the other day but I didn't know if it was my device or the site. Chrome and Dolphin browser stutter and flicker when browsing the touch site. Its pretty much unusable. I also think it must be the number of ads on the page. Loo

I've resorted to using Firefox with the ad blocker enabled at its a bit better.

I am having the same problem. Nexus 5 Lollipop 5.1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭brevity

Discodog wrote: »
    I am having the same problem. Nexus 5 Lollipop 5.1

On a Sony z3 with lollipop 5 myself. The issue was happening on KitKat though and seemed to coincide with an update of chrome. The update that included the pull down to refresh feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm not sure it's related to the version of Chrome as that pull down feature is not in tablets AFAIK and they have the same issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Exact same issue here as well. Nexus 5 lollipoo

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Same here on the phone. Even when loaded up its still lagging whole website. Really annoying. 2gb or ram on my phone and there should be no such issues. Clearly something wrong with ads.

Is it me, or slowdown is directly effected by that plus500 ad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I suspected that bloody stupid ad myself when I first started noticing the problem. I even checked out the inappropriate ad thread to see if it was flagged there.

Okay, 100% that's the ad that causing slow down issue. You can make it not appear anymore. I did and website became normal and responsive.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement