Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Logouts

Options
  • 15-04-2015 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Over the last number of weeks I have been randomly logged out of my account.

I'm on laptop/chrome with "stay logged in ticked". It just happened to me two minutes ago despite being browsing the site for the last few hours.

Any idea what could be causing this ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I have actually experienced this myself, and it's usually because the technical guys are working on the site. I'm going to ask this myself and let you know what they say.

This won't be high priority because it's more of a minor inconvenience than a red alert, but they will look into it, or perhaps they already know.

I'll post on here when I have an answer for you.

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Shield wrote: »
    I have actually experienced this myself, and it's usually because the technical guys are working on the site. I'm going to ask this myself and let you know what they say.

This won't be high priority because it's more of a minor inconvenience than a red alert, but they will look into it, or perhaps they already know.

I'll post on here when I have an answer for you.

-Shield.

Thanks Shield. Agreed, it's more of an inconvenience than anything else. Still would be nice to know the reason behind it.

Just happened again. Was there any work going on ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hello again.

I have contacted Niamh, our Community Manager, about this issue, and I hope she will be in a position to post on here and let us know if there are any updates.

Thanks,

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Dubwat

Happens to me often but not often enough I remember the timescale. Always thought it was a security feature that logged me out every (x) weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Off the top of my head, I believe the session cookie expires after 1 month.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This is happening to me as well recently. I have previously been logged in all the time on all of my devices. Recently, I've been logging out of the work computer when I leave, and since then I'm randomly being logged out of other devices. I say randomly because I'll be logged out on my phone but not iPad or laptop or any other combination of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just to bump this, I've been getting random log out for a while now on a PC (I'm not using other browsing devices for boards), probably while the above posters were experiencing same.

No structure to it just every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Same issue here with chrome on all websites, also facebook and twitter

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This is becoming an increasingly more annoying issue. It's now happening across all devices and it is not related to me logging out on my work computer because I have not logged out of it, I've just locked the machine so that only I can use it, much to the chagrin of my colleagues. This random logging out is like chagrin karma but I don't see the funny side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

This is still happening and still annoying.
    If i click the option to keep me logged in, i want to stay logged in.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057473758
    The login cookie expires every two weeks now, ... It was a necessary pre-condition for boards.ie to allow people to be able to use their social media credentials to log in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's a fairly bad regression even given the reasoning.

1. I've not signed up with nor intend to tie a facebook/twitter account to my boards account, my experience has been worsened for a feature i'll never use.
    2. the "stayed logged in" checkbox now makes no sense.

Other sites that I use social login in don't seem to have this issue either (e.g. stackoverflow.com).

Just happened again, and seems to be more frequent recently. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Getting this as well it's nearly weekly it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

As the previous posted said the two week rule doesnt make sense.
    Stackoverflow.com allows logins using all social media accounts and they remain logged in for significant periods of time.

Even if they wanted to enforce a two week rule with social media logins, im not using a social media login so this rule should not apply to me.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement