Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

• 10-01-2021 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Myself and my partner moved into our apartment last year, some nick knacks needed work which LL was able to get done, bar an appliance that doesn't work properly which they can't fix right now because of Covid lock down.

Our main problem is, however, our French doors in our apartment are leaking heavy condensation, which is soaking into the carpeting. There is no vent in the room wall, just in openable slots on the door frame itself. The door doesn't open very easily, if requires extreme force to even close it (I'm afraid it will break the next time it needs to be open and closed as the handle is also very loose). The doors are also leaking so much heat and the room is constantly cold, we don't really have many options. We rent so really it's up to LL to replace if they can, but what we are concerned about is they probably won't which isnt ideal at all for us

I just want to get some ballpark figures to see what cost and labour it would be to get french doors to be replaced, so we might be able to discuss a way it can done. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Before going down the route of replacement it might be best to see if there is a quick fix available which will at least keep you going until after lockdown

There should be rubber sealing strips all around the door or frame, I'd check these to ensure they're not damaged or out of their groove. If they're misplaced you can try pushing them back into the groove.

It's probably also worth giving the door edge and door frame a good clean to ensure there's no debris blocking the doors from closing fully

Try looking for a manufacturer label on the doors, you might be able to contact them directly to discuss someone coming out to repair them. If the apartment is relatively new they might be under warranty

If all else fails you can tape up the seams. I'm guessing it's a balcony door so you're probably not going to be using it for a few months. Just make sure the vents you mentioned are clear to ensure you don't get condensation

Getting the landlord to fix stuff is always a tricky topic, you can never be sure they won't just evict you to avoid the hassle. You may end up fixing it yourself if you want it done in a timely manner

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Buttons04

If it is an apartment in a block of apartments there should be a maintenance company responsible for the building maintenance and management. might be worth trying to find out who they are and go to them.. the LL may not be responsible for the external windows in block as usually maintenance company responsible and sinking fund created from fees for the replacement as if left to individual LL the colours & designs could be all different in each apartment.

Make a written report to LL, mention floor very wet and could be leaking down to apartment below.. effecting tennants below may help push the improvement through..

Advertisement