Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurb costs + project manager

Options
  • 09-01-2021 8:15pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a variety of things done to an early 70s house - that was extensively refurbished in 1998 - and think that its possible a large enough set of connected works by different trades that I need a project manager; or a builder - although there's no real building as such.

House is a 3 bed mid terrace

- Full rewire with some additional sockets, provision for car charger
    - Reinstate plastering, replace two Artex ceilings with flat and replaster where the coving was.
    - New bathroom - pumped shower (not power shower), standard suite, tiling etc
    - Refurb kitchen - new counters, new tiles, new sink
    - New internal doors + frames if needed (bit old and ratty, doors were replaced already)
    - Replacement, fairly basic staircase. Close off understairs cupboard to kitchen, open up space under stairs to hallway
    - Patch up hallway suspended wooden floor and sheet for lino (I could do this myself, did it in the kitchen already)

We would be in a position to move out entirely for 4-6 weeks.

COVID has helped savings so this would hopefully be fully funded and not need any loans or mortgage changes... or I may be price delusional

So I've two questions to try figure out - do I need a project manager and how much is this going to cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

In the very same boat. Finding it impossible to get responses nevermind quotes from building contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Buttons04

Depends on your level of knowledge, ability to organise and if you know what you want done.. I would not think you need a Project Manager and or a builder, would probably need to be there yourself to arrange things and answer questions/ make decisions if needed. if you can line up the tradesmen and tell them you will move out the month of April they can plan organise and get it done..

Have your suppliers and finishes priced and picked. Whether you supply the material or pay them to get them can be organised once you know what you want.. the issue with these projects is changes in the middle or deciding to add more work..

I am guessing the works will probably cost €20k - 25K so small builder maybe interested..

Direct trades would be cheaper and recommendations would help tie the trades together. your plumber will know & recommend a tiler and electrician .. no loan or mortgage would also allow for bit of cash and make things cheaper for you..

Advantage of builder is you may save 8% on VAT & get trade rates on materials, one point of contact & sole responsibility for quality and warranty.. it will cost you though.
    Some tradesmen may be VAT registered and supply materials with trade savings

which ever you choose, Do a bill of quantities/ detailed schedule of work items which will take them less time for them to price and you know what you are getting for your money..
    also help if you know what you want.. 8m2 of floor tiles for the bathroom cannot be priced accurately tiles could cost €15-€150/m2 depending on what you want. if you tell them to allow 30/m2 and tiles will be approx 400 x 200m tiles then when you pick your tile you know the difference and once the tiles you pick are not very different in size the rate will apply.. also if multiple quotes , then all your quotes are like for like..

Advertisement