Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick help needed on laptop purchase before sale ends (4K editing)

Options
  • 06-01-2021 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I`m looking to purchase a laptop capable of 4K editing and need advice on one I`ve been looking at before the sale price expires on it.

It`s a Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14in Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD.

Currently only using Wondershare Filmora 9 to do video edits with 1080p footage and am now looking to edit 4K video with the Adobe Suite but wouldn`t be looking to do heavy editing of graphics or animation or anything such as this. Would literally be looking to cut and chop up some 4K footage and have it render smooth with voiceover commentary thrown on top of the video.

Please let me know if ye think this will do the trick.. Also whether the RAM on this is expandable to 16GB??

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/lenovo-ideapad-3-14in-full-hd-laptop-amd-ryzen-7nbsp8gb-ramnbsp512gb-ssd-optional-microsoft-365-family-1-yearnbsp--grey/1600545669.prd

Much Appreciated.

Comments

No, I would not recommend going ahead. My € 0.02. Might be better to transfer this thread to Computers & Technology forum

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

No, I would not recommend going ahead. My € 0.02. Might be better to transfer this thread to Computers & Technology forum

Thanks for the response...its been hard to get feedback on this. Any input on why this wouldn`t be suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I wish...budget is 800 max

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Well I imagine the lack of 4k support, or even dedicated graphics and not having enough ram would be 3 solid reasons it won't do the job. (Not a video person but know you need a lot more!)

In fact.. Much simply the fact it doesn't have 4k at all, means it's completely unsuitable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In fact.. Much simply the fact it doesn't have 4k at all, means it's completely unsuitable

Nope.

4k on any laptop is silly, the PPI is way greater than the human eye can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Just so you consider it. The raw 4 k footage is about 2 GB a minute. So say about 250gb for all your programs ect with a 512GB drive you would end up with room for about 2 and a half hours of storage for footage. You will want alot of storage and have the ability to transfer the footage fast to your storage.

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Just so you consider it. The raw 4 k footage is about 2 GB a minute. So say about 250gb for all your programs ect with a 512GB drive you would end up with room for about 2 and a half hours of storage for footage. You will want alot of storage and have the ability to transfer the footage fast to your storage.

Not something I knew and pretty staggering...How the hell do people manage 4K editing on the go whilst travelling internationally and filming? Hardly dragging around several big hard-drives or storage units? I`m conused.com

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

subscriber wrote: »
    Not something I knew and pretty staggering...How the hell do people manage 4K editing on the go whilst travelling internationally and filming? Hardly dragging around several big hard-drives or storage units? I`m conused.com

Well most people I know would use a number of 1tb ssd and use a usb to ssd adapter on the go with the laptop. They would also have a desktop at home with large storage that they can access remotely when required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Ya 4K is huge.

Raw is actually 12Gbp/s or 7.5Gb per minute. It's a lot more processing needed.

With 512Gb you will have that full within minutes.

For me, Hard drive is too small, But you could use external drives
    Not enough RAM, 16Gb should be your minimum

I'd get something with a GPU to help do your renders. It would take forever doing them with the CPU only.

• Advertisement

Appreciate the advice and tutorial on all this folks..

I think ill have to postpone any purchase for now...As an amateur videographer, I just couldn`t justify dropping this kind of cash on gear at the moment...certainly not until I sharpen my filming skills and have a few years more experience I think.

In terms of continuing with 1080p video editing making...What would be the par for minimum system requirement's?

Would a Ryzen 3 processor with 8GB ram be enough or still too low? Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about graphics card so can`t even guess what would be suitable or not or 1080p edits?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Do you really need it to be a laptop, would be a lot cheaper to get good spec on a desktop.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Do you really need it to be a laptop, would be a lot cheaper to get good spec on a desktop.

Unfortunately it does..I understand a desktop would make things a lot earlier but it has to be portable so I can carry with me.

Advertisement