Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does a BER Assessor check?

Options
  • 08-10-2020 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi all,

I need to check for a BER assessor to come to my place? Just for my own curiosity, what do they check? Is there any DIY that I can do to get the highest BER rating as possible?

What're the "normal" fees?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

When was the house built?
    Any extensions?
    Any documents that prove what’s in the walls, floors and roof?

If not, then he/she will use the default values.

Dublin fees for a BER is about €250-€300.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Block off the chimney is a big plus as this is a big loss of heat, and draughts or gaps in Windows or doors, get the tape that gives a better seal and so on....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

It only makes a small difference but having low energy light bulbs in every fitting will help.

Draught strip on the attic hatch will give a minor bump too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

OP, can I ask why you need a BER assessment?
    If it's for a sale or rental, then carry on.
    However, if it's to check out the house with a view to knowing what to do to improve your comfort and running costs then you may be better to save on the BER cost and get a proper survey done instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

MicktheMan wrote: »
    However, if it's to check out the house with a view to knowing what to do to improve your comfort and running costs then you may be better to save on the BER cost and get a proper survey done instead.

This , this all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kaldo

No extensions
    There are no documents that proves what's in the walls, floors and roof. Which docs are your referring?

After SEAI Heating Controls... However I was thinking to do other jobs of improvement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Block off the chimney is a big plus as this is a big loss of heat, and draughts or gaps in Windows or doors, get the tape that gives a better seal and so on....

Biggest waste of time and you are only codding yourself. Unless you plan on leaving the chimney and the windows taped shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

miller_63 wrote: »
    Biggest waste of time and you are only codding yourself. Unless you plan on leaving the chimney and the windows taped shut.

Are you for real, of course it will help, didn't say tape windows shut, was actually talking about the foam tape that helps seal if seals are worn or windows out of shape as to stop draught....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Are you for real, of course it will help, didn't say tape windows shut, was actually talking about the foam tape that helps seal if seals are worn or windows out of shape as to stop draught....

If its a deep retrofit your doing yes.

But as the OP alluded to its to boost a standard BER. Most of your standard BER's are done, taping up vents and sealing the chimney using this method and its the biggest con going.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,074 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

1. standard BER assessment do not take air tightness levels into account. Air tightness is quantifiable by means of testing, so unless an Air Tight test, carried out by a registered certified tester, is available, then foaming up or taping up window opes is not going to make any difference to the BER rating. It will make a difference to the energy efficiency of the house however, especially if the situation is very drafty in the first place.

2. a chimney must be permanently closed up in order for it to count against ventilation losses. A chimney balloon etc will not count. Again, it will make a difference to the houses heat losses, but it wont make a difference to the rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Would you have any idea what a "proper survey" is called? Just so that I know what to google and price the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

McHardcore wrote: »
    Would you have any idea what a "proper survey" is called? Just so that I know what to google and price the service.

Try "Heat loss survey" or even better "independent heat loss survey"

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Try "Heat loss survey" or even better "independent heat loss survey"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Would adding attic insulation to 30 or 35 cm be recognised by the assessor?

Yes, verified. 300mm

Would adding attic insulation to 30 or 35 cm be recognised by the assessor?

Yes, verified. 300mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I guess they the OP should have 150 mm or 200 mm as it. If they really wanted to go the whole hog, and if they felt it was a warmis house a certified blower test could be done and input into the BER and that might push it down.

Advertisement