Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank

Options
  • 12-04-2019 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Boardsies

We are sale agreed on a house, approx 20 years old. Standalone house in a rural area in the west. Engineer's highlighted an issue with septic tank and grey water disposal. Might need a whole new tank. No contracts signed but has anyone installed a new septic tank in an existing dwelling and could give an approx cost? Just a ballpark figure.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

OP I've moved your thread to construction & planning / prices & costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

sallysue2 wrote: »
    Boardsies

We are sale agreed on a house, approx 20 years old. Standalone house in a rural area in the west. Engineer's highlighted an issue with septic tank and grey water disposal. Might need a whole new tank. No contracts signed but has anyone installed a new septic tank in an existing dwelling and could give an approx cost? Just a ballpark figure.

Hard to know exactly without doing a site test to see what type of system is suitable. If the ground conditions are poor (poorly draining heavy soils - lots of rushes around the area would be typical) then a standard septic tank and percolating area might not work and a secondary treatment system may be required. A standard septic tank and percolating area (this is a series of underground pipes) may cost roughly 3-4k. A secondary (& tertiary) system 6-10k.

As the house is only 20 years old the problem may only be small such as desludging the tank and a new percolation area (1-2k maybe). I would get a septic tank expert to do a full inspection and costing.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sallysue2

cocoman wrote: »
    Hard to know exactly without doing a site test to see what type of system is suitable. If the ground conditions are poor (poorly draining heavy soils - lots of rushes around the area would be typical) then a standard septic tank and percolating area might not work and a secondary treatment system may be required. A standard septic tank and percolating area (this is a series of underground pipes) may cost roughly 3-4k. A secondary (& tertiary) system 6-10k.

As the house is only 20 years old the problem may only be small such as desludging the tank and a new percolation area (1-2k maybe). I would get a septic tank expert to do a full inspection and costing.

Cocoman thanks for this. The vendor has said she will get a full inspection done so we will know more then. We havent gotten the full report from our engineer yet, just going on what he told my husband during his visit. septic tank and grey water disposal is not compliant with regulation. He did mention that the location of the septic tank is an issue too as its on a higher elevation than the house and recommended an area where the tank would be better placed.

Hopefully it will be easily rectified, we really like the house and would hate to walk away from the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aileenc13

Hi, when you say that you should get a septic tank expert to look at the problem can you be more specific? Would that be a plumber? Renovating a cottage at the moment and would like to get the existing septic tank looked at but not sure which tradesman I should contact.
    Thanks for your help.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

aileenc13 wrote: »
    Hi, when you say that you should get a septic tank expert to look at the problem can you be more specific? Would that be a plumber? .

No.

You need an engineer who has the correct insurance and experience. Is the septic tank registered with the Coucnil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 aileenc13

Thanks a million for the quick reply. Is there anywhere I could find a list of appropriately qualified engineers?
    BryanF wrote: »
    No.

You need an engineer who has the correct insurance and experience. Is the septic tank registered with the Coucnil?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

aileenc13 wrote: »
    Thanks a million for the quick reply. Is there anywhere I could find a list of appropriately qualified engineers?

http://www.siteassessor.com/find-an-expert.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kirafrik

Could I wake this thread up please

Looking at making an offer on an old house, not been lived in for 20+ years without services.

Anyone able to give me a rough estimate of the cost of installing a septic tank (or whatever the latest regs require). I realise it will depend on soil etc but I'm thousands of kilometres south of you and with COVID-19 I'm trying to cost things blindfolded!

Plenty of room to install, large yard and fields within 25m of the house, direct access onto a public road!

Thanks!

Advertisement