Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 & Windows XP twinload

Options
  • 04-11-2010 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi there.

Has anyone any experience of the Windows 7/Windows XP twinload. How it works etc? Positives negatives?

Oldbie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

dual-boot is the correct term...

haven't tried it but i'm sure there are no issues associated with it. a typical dual-boot would go as follows;

** Create 2 - 3 partitions,
    one for XP (allow ~~ 10GB for updates, SP and page file)
    one for W7 (allow ~~ 20-25GB for updates, SP and page file)
    Allow more space for program installations
    (3 partitions if you want a common data storage area)

** install XP FIRST onto partition 1

** install W7 next onto partition 2

All going well after the 2 OS installations, a boot option screen will appear asking you which OS you want to load.

Another option could be a virtual machine running W7, running on XP. If you purely want to play around with W7, a virtual machine is what i'd do!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

don't forget you will need two licenses and you can't move an OEM license to another machine

more expensive versions of 7 give you a compatibilty mode which is really just a windows xp virtual machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

I wholeheartedly endorse XP mode. I continue to be pleasantly surprised how well the virtual applications work. Though that might not apply to your situation or requirements. Your space allocations will depend entirely on the size of the disk too. If you have less than 60GB, there's no problem, but it will only get messy later on down the line (if you intend in keeping the dual boot). nothing wrong with a dual boot. I've had many a positive and negative experience with them. I've had up to 4 operating systems in parallel in this way, a mix or both linux and windows, with and without trouble. Like humaxf1 said, install XP first, Windows 7 will then rewrite the boot loader to include them both. not that XP can't do it too, just better to install 7 last.

Advertisement