Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot composter

Options
  • 10-01-2021 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

We generate a fair bit of food waste esp cooked food. Is a hot composter what I need? I wasn't something mess free, something easy to use and that won't attract rats (we live near a river so quite a bit of that activity).

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Ok so am looking at the hotbin or the green johanna.
    Both are expensive but I'm willing to pay a bit more for less hassle. I'm not a gardener and want to be able to just throw and go as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

What do you mean by hot composter ?
    I know I've seen compost tumblers , where the "drum" of the composter is on an axle of sorts , and you turn or roll it every so often ( turning your compost ) ,and getting oxygen in to get it to heat ,
    They're fairly simple ,but you might need 2 of them , (to be able to get continuous use )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

As far as I understand (not v far!) they get v hot - hot bin up to 60o and you dont have to mix, tumble, stir etc.

I don't particularly need compost, I just wanted to cut down on food waste

Regular Composters can get up to that temp anyway , there must be some that the hot box stirs what you put in ,
    I've got to do something with my wormery , the worms aren't liking the cold weather at the moment ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i got a hotbin last summer, it only gets upto heat with a fill of grass , this tiime of year its just not getting enough in it.

hopefully this year ill be generating a bit more waste from my own veg as i get my beds going properly

https://www.quickcrop.ie/product/hotbin-composters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I got a hot composter last year and it is useless. I ocassionally heats if I have shredded and almost grated the compost, eg peelings etc.

A rat has chewed the strap holding it together and chewed the side of the bin. Not fully through it yet.

In a new garden so haven't a traditional heap in place yet.

Looking into the bigger metal ones as being rat proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

I've been considering getting a Pig composter for several years now. Just cant get over the €500 price tag. The feedback on them is superb....you can throw anything/everything into it. Friend got one last August, I have not seen it yet (bloody lockdowns), she is adamant I will be convinced to buy one when I see it in action.

https://www.quickcrop.ie/product/joraform-big-pig-jk270-composter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Please do report if you buy one. It would be worth the money if it works and is rat proof.

Isn't there 2 sizes of pig Composters ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ladybird25

Hello, any of you know if being a hot compost, it works faster?

I am just trying to figure out the capacity required for about 3 people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A hot composter is no better nor hotter than any other composter if the ingredients are varied correctly. Cooked foods in a so called hot composter will still be a magnet for vermin.

As for capacity, it depends on how much waste you produce. We'd have zero cooked food waste here but others have a large quantity. How much grass and garden waste have you? What raw vegetable matter do you have for it from the kitchen every week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

A Joraform 270L big pig would be good.

The only thing the other poster above has said is correct is the capacity thing, you need to kept them fed to keep the heat up. They are wrong on every other count. Cooked food can go in with zero vermin issues, it's usually so hot you don't even see flies in it.

They are expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ladybird25

Hello,

Thanks for your responses, garden is not big so I would not really take it in account except for maybe a couple of layers of grass per year. Cooked food would be minimal if not inexistent so it would be mainly plant rests and vegetables.

I have never had a hot composter, but based in your comments, I think I'll stay traditional.

My only thing is the volume, do you know if there is a guide anywhere?

Something like this stikes me as a serious winner , 2 small chambers that both spin so you can fill one ,then the other and keep spinning both .. and if your filling the chambers too quick , transfer the oldest one to a traditional bin or heap ,

Or even transfer from one rotary bin to another because the vegetable matter is going to loose serious mass once it starts composting ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement