Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The only genealogist in the village

Options
  • 28-10-2015 5:10pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Browsing the census for someone else today, I happened across Mary Josephine O'Farrell whose occupation is genealogist. Surprisingly she is the only person among the 1901/11 census returns whose occupation is listed as genealogist.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Classic! Not married, which is a theme I have also identified amongst genealogists!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Some information about Josephine from NAI.ie
    Mary Josephine O'Farrell was born in 1861 at 13 Lower Baggot Street and was baptised in the Catholic church of St Andrew, Westland Row, Dublin. She was one of eleven children born to Lewis Farrell, a victualler and Ellen O'Hanlon. O'Farrell worked as a genealogist in the early 1900s. In the 1901 census, Josephine is recorded as having no occupation and living with two of her spinster sisters, Christina and Gertrude. Gertrude was a shorthand writer. The house had a servant and a Trinity College Dublin undergraduate boarder. Her brother Joseph is living on Morehampton Road as a pharmacutical chemist. By the census of 1911, Joseph is living with Christina (sanitary inspector) and Gertrude (now a pharmacutical student at the age of 36,although it is recorded as age 30). Mary Josephine is living at 34 Beechwood Road Lower aged 49. She is now living alone and calling herself a genealogist. Mary Josephine is most active in the 1910s up until the destruction of the Four Courts. On the 8 August 1922 the Irish Independent reports that a Josephine O'Farrell has been awarded £3000 compensation from the destruction of the Four Courts, more compensation than is offered for some people who lost immediate family members. She died in 1925 and she is buried in Glasnevin Cemetery. The date of the collection being deposited at the Public Record Office of Ireland coincides with the death of her spinster sister Christina in 1941.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Fascinating.

I must see if I can find out more about "compensation" people received for the Four Courts destruction.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I imagine that the Four Courts going would have made genealogy pretty much impossible for some years - until the parish registers were collected/filmed to the NLI and whenever access to the GRO registers started.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Brilliant thread! Found another one, the famous (in the genealogy world) Gertrude Thrift of the Thrift Abstracts, a 'geniealogist' and transcribed as 'geneologist'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I suspected that there might be more lurking about in the transcription errors all right.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

An even earlier genealogist for those interested was the well know brother of Thomas Davis who was nicknamed Pedigree Davis or “Who’s Who” and compiled many genealogies in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I've encountered reference to him before but in my researches of Cork/Kerry families (I have a Mallow strand in my maternal line) have never seen him given as a source. Did he publish anything? Betham was older but a sort of contemporary, and he is encountered everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

I've encountered reference to him before but in my researches of Cork/Kerry families (I have a Mallow strand in my maternal line) have never seen him given as a source. Did he publish anything? Betham was older but a sort of contemporary, and he is encountered everywhere.

Apparently he left behind many volumes of work on the families of Cork complete with charts. These are I believe in the NLI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Thanks for that, I've done some online NLI searching and must look into his work. It’s unpublished, in the Genealogical Office: Mss. 404-5 and Genealogical Office: Mss. 380-400
    Reference to an article on him here in the Irish Booklover
    Some of his correspondence on the Hydes of Castlehyde and Killarney here (Douglas Hyde / Dubhghlas de h-ÍdE was from a junior branch of this family) is also in the Genealogical Office: Ms.802, p.14

Most of those involved in genealogy in the 1800’s / early 1900’s would have been “gentry” from well-known landed families and would never have given their professions as “genealogist” which is why the ones mentioned above by Hermy and Coolnabacky are so interesting. Apart from Betham and Bernard Burke, the well-known ones of the mid/late 1800s e.g. JF Fuller (an architect) and Mary Agnes Hickson (a “country lady” / antiquarian) were full-time amateurs who did it for love/posterity and not money. The latter did some great work which is published in her book (available free online) "Selections from Old Kerry records historical and genealogical: with introductory memoir, notes and appendix"

• Advertisement
Advertisement