Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death registration

Options
  • 10-07-2012 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi, just a quick question..... would it be very common for deaths NOT to be registered in the late 1800's/early 1900's?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I wouldn't say very common, but it did occur..

Of the three BMD records, deaths are often the problem one to find, as people could have died outside the area you would expect to find them -- e.g. in a hospital, or living with a relative etc. In addition ages are often incorrect or estimated, and that combined with the lack of details on death records can make it difficult to confirm any matches.

I've found deaths for all of my ancestors I searched for ... but some took a while to find, and quite a few certs

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Elizabetha

Thanks Shane, I must say I'm finding the Death certs really tricky to find, for one ancestor in particular.....

what details do you have ?

i.e. name, where they were born, married and lived as an adult, year of birth, last date you have a sighting of them... and also a date you believe they were deceased by etc

S.

Birth name - Frances Thornton, Married Michael Muldoon, 1901 census shows her living in Ballylea, rathsallagh, wicklow as "fanny" muldoon. I think it has her age wrong on it though as I have her birth cert showing her born 23rd Dec 1864 in Kildare, father was John Thornton. I think she died around 1903 in childbirth. The reason I think it was childbirth is because her daughter cecilia lived with me for some time when I was a child and she mentioned this

first clue is the registration district for Ballylea - which is Baltinglass

have you located the rest of the family in 1911 ?

Shane

• Advertisement

Yes, the little boy Michael died in 1902, the two girls plus the one who was born in 1903 were sent to an orphanage in offaly, I think I found the father, Michael in Dublin, not sure its him though, he was born in laois

I know this one's outside the area ... but could have been a hospital in Dublin.. might be worth a try if you haven't got a cert for this already :
    Name: Frances Muldoon
    Registration district: Dublin South
    Event type: Death
    Quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1903
    Volume: 2 / Page: 603

S.

Thats great, thanks Shane! I'll send an order for that and see if its her!

do you have birth details for the child born 1903 ?

S.

Just what was in the census 1901, he was 2 then and I cant find a deathe cert, just know he died in 1902 because my aunt cecilia told me, a lot of infants died back then

• Advertisement

Elizabetha wrote: »
    Yes, the little boy Michael died in 1902, the two girls plus the one who was born in 1903 were sent to an orphanage in offaly, I think I found the father, Michael in Dublin, not sure its him though, he was born in laois

was the child born 1903 named Thomas by any chance ?

S.

No, a baby girl called Annie

I think Anne may have been born April/June quarter of 1901...

see : https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBVY-N57

S.

Ok, I'll have a look at that, it would mean Frances didnt die during childbirth, could be possible Cecilia got it wrong, she was very young....

Only a handfull of Muldoon registrations in Baltinglass district so might be worth checking out...

Is this your possible match for Michael in 1911 ?

S.

The Frances I mentioned earlier is buried in Glasnevin.

http://www.glasnevintrust.ie (pay-website)

Shane

Advertisement