Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecture Tomorrow Night - National Print Museum

Options
  • 13-05-2009 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Bound Together: A ‘Renaissance Prince’, A Scribe, and a Bookish Saint.
    May 2009 Thursday 14th May – 7.30 p.m.
    By Réiltin Murphy

Admission: Free :D

Until its recent move to UCD a bound manuscript (MSS A 8) rested four centuries in Franciscan care. The book’s beauty drew the attention of Reiltín Murphy in 1997 when it was exhibited in the National Gallery of Ireland while she was looking for an MA subject to follow a BA in Calligraphy and Bookbinding.

This unusual binding houses an Ulster manuscript dated 1532. It is a Life of Saint Colum Cille by Manus O’Donnell and is in the hand of scribe Eoghan Carrach O’Siaghail.

This talk, the first public airing of an MA awarded by NCAD in 2000, looks at various aspects surrounding the book: at questions surrounding the unusual binding; at the formal Irish Minuscule script written at a time when the author is reputed to have considered having his book printed; at that great book enthusiast Saint Colum Cille; and at the modern forms which Reiltín developed from the study.

Reiltín Murphy has a lifelong interest in books and lettering. Her work may be seen in the touring exhibition and publication An Leabhar Mór. She curated the 2006 international calligraphy and book arts exhibition Letter and Leaf in the National Print Museum and also had the pleasure of holding workshops in calligraphy and in bookbinding at the Museum. Reiltín lectures on the BA Hons degree in Design & Visual Communication at Waterford Institute of Technology.

National Print Museum
    Beggars Bush Barracks
    Haddington Rd
    Dublin 4
    Tel: 01 6603770
    Email: info@nationalprintmuseum.ie
    Web: www.nationalprintmuseum.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Looks very intersting .. won't be able to make it unfortunately, but I never even knew this museum existed up until now!

There's a misspelling in that URL by the way (museum, not musuem) .. I was tearing my hair out before I saw it.

Correct one is http://www.nationalprintmuseum.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Womble25

Whoops, most haste less speed next time. Thanks for that Alun. Yeh the Museum is small and underfunded so constantly battling the fact that people have never heard of it. But there are lots of things going on there all the time, workshops, lectures, exhibitions, Demonstration Days etc as Im sure you saw on the website, so its well worth a visit.

Advertisement