Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite/least favourite heritage site/museum

Options
  • 01-10-2007 4:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

I'm not sure if anyone ever asked this before so I thought I'd throw it out there. Do the posters here have a favorite heritage site that they could recommend? Also, on the flip side, which museum/heritage site were they least impressed by? It doesn't have to be in Ireland but if its a bit obscure then perhaps add a bit of an explanation.

Personally, my favorite would have to be Hill 62 near Ypres, its a private museum run by a family attached to a pretty dingy cafe. The thing I like about it is its a pretty hands on experience, and you can touch all of the exhibits and also explore preserved sections of trench. There is also a large collection of stereoscopic pictures which give pretty gruesome 3D images of the fighting on the western front.

My favorite in Ireland would have to be Newgrange, followed closely by Kilmainham.

Regards least impressive - the Main Guard in Clonmel is a huge disappointment. It looks great but I think it could be put to a much more interesting use than it is now. Given the importance of the building I feel its a bit of a waste.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Personally, my favorite would have to be Hill 62 near Ypres, its a private museum run by a family attached to a pretty dingy cafe. The thing I like about it is its a pretty hands on experience, and you can touch all of the exhibits and also explore preserved sections of trench. There is also a large collection of stereoscopic pictures which give pretty gruesome 3D images of the fighting on the western front. .

Tyne Cot. Sobering experience.

In Ireland the Kilmichael Ambush site because for a wonder somebody actually did some work so you can tell what happened on the ground.

Least favourite The County Museum in Clonmel. It's a feeble excuse for a museum. The story of the War of Independence in which Tipperary played a large part is confined almost solely to the Soloheadbeg Ambush.
    the Main Guard in Clonmel is a huge disappointment. It looks great but I think it could be put to a much more interesting use than it is now. Given the importance of the building I feel its a bit of a waste.

It's a very small building. I can't think what else they could do with it. At least it was restored (over many years) rather than falling into the hands of developers and becoming a shopping mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Shutuplaura

True, its a pity its become a magnet for little skangers though, perhaps if they put the arts centre or county museum there and enouraged more use they would keep the away, at least during the day. Isn't there also a small museum in the barracks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I really need to get to Kilmainham, it is definately on my "To Do" list but not my families, which makes it a bit difficult :rolleyes:

The first world war memorials in France and Belgium are very sobering, the amount of life lost in a very short space of time is unbelievable. If you have been to Ypres, then the Menin Gate is worth viewing especially when they play the Last Post in the evening, very moving. Being from Portsmouth I love naval history and the Historic dockyard is one of my favourites, it's good to get an idea of what life on board for the conscripts must have been like.

I visited Waterford a few weeks back and nipped over to Wexford on the ferry, I found Duncannon fort a little disappointing, I got the impression that a historic building had been turned into a big craft shop. I was very impressed with Hook lighthouse though. Amazing that a lighthouse has been there for so long. There is a big manor house near the lighthouse, apparantly it has an interesting history, can't remember the name though. Does it have some connection with the hellfire club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

True, its a pity its become a magnet for little skangers though, perhaps if they put the arts centre or county museum there and enouraged more use they would keep the away, at least during the day. Isn't there also a small museum in the barracks?

It's too small for a county museum in my opinion. Anyway the present museum is a purpose built one and would eb a fine facility if the people running it had a little more interest.

Heres a few photos of the museum in Kickham Bks.

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l151/md24124549/Kickham%20Barracks%20Museum/

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Thanks for the link. I can vaguely remember it from an open day in the barracks a few years ago.

I'd love to visit the Victory in Portsmouth at some stage. I think I'm not far gone enough to take a city break just to visit a museum yet but maybe in a few years. I suppose its not going anywhere. I'd recommend pulling a sicking and taking a trip to see Kilmainham, an informative few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Thanks for the link. I can vaguely remember it from an open day in the barracks a few years ago.

I'd love to visit the Victory in Portsmouth at some stage. I think I'm not far gone enough to take a city break just to visit a museum yet but maybe in a few years. I suppose its not going anywhere. I'd recommend pulling a sicking and taking a trip to see Kilmainham, an informative few hours.

we've got a fun fair as well (and a great football team:D ) Think of Bray with aircraft carriers :rolleyes:

If I took my five year old daughter to Kilmainham, would she hate me forever? I've always thought it not ideal for a young child (Due to the fact she wold be bored senseless)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

The Tower Museum in Derry, just inside the walls. I defy anyone not to be moved by the exhibit regarding the UVF and Irish volunteers. They're on either side of a corridor which has kerb stones one side painted red white and blue, the other green white and orange. So-o-o-o Northern Ireland.

They basically stopped fighting their own war and went off to fight somebody else's.

And got slaughtered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Kilmainham jail is my favourite heritage site in Ireland. An hour or so trip through the old gaol was a truely poignant experience. A must do for any Irish person, or person with an interest in Irish history.

Museum wise, none in Ireland that I've seen truely bowled me over. The GAA museum in Croke Park is worth a visit, but then i love GAA so don't know if the general punter would rate it or not.

Anyone visiting the UK, I would recommend the Ashmolean museum in Oxford. In particular their ancient Greek, Roman and Egyptian artifacts were very impressive.

Advertisement