Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to learn more about historical places?

Options
  • 22-09-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

one of my hobbies is, to visit (public) places like old ruins (churches, castles, etc), because for some reason im very fascinated by them.
    Often it is not fully possible to get all the info and reasearch via internet and i was wondering if there is any courses (especially in Cork) or places etc where you could find out more about places.
    I would like to educate myself about irish history, especially if it comes to old remains which you can still visit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Dont have any friends with the same hobby so im not too sure where best to start.

thank you sooo much!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Well I presume you've seen Abandoned Ireland? Excellent site:

http://www.abandonedireland.com/start.html

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

Following on from Abandoned Ireland / Abandoned Mansions of Ireland my next project was history/heritage sites. It was two years of hard work researching and photographing. The photographs should be top notch and I also did not skimp on the research. The result 'Ancient Ireland' a top quality coffee table type book will be in the shops in October. I went round all 32 counties and all sites are mapped with GPS coordinates provided.
    You can check a trailer for the book here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=xrmXDDL7apw&vq=hd720

The books aren't back from the printer yet but it is already listed on amazon and will be in easons/waterstones etc by the end of October.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancient-Ireland-Exploring-Historic-Monuments/dp/1848891857

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

thanks for advertising your products here but besides knowing AI already i'd prefer to know how to find out about the history of places and nit where places are ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Seek out local history societies. Local libraries would be the best place to start. Often people have self-published small pamphlets on local sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

celica00 wrote: »
    thanks for advertising your products here but besides knowing AI already i'd prefer to know how to find out about the history of places and nit where places are ;)

You might like to reread that post and perhaps edit it as it comes across as being smart-assed which I'm sure is not what you intended.

• Advertisement
Advertisement