Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi signal help needed

Options
  • 12-10-2020 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping someone here can suggest something better than my current setup please......

1. I have Virgin Media 250M internet
    2. I have Google Wifi and 1 point
    3, I have 3 Nest Cam outdoor setup outside the house.

The problem I am having is that it is a new house and A rated and the signal is struggling to get to the Cameras and 2 of them tend to lose connection quite a bit.

1 Solution I was thinking is there is a powersocket on the wall (inside the house) nearest the point where the 2 that lose connection are located. I have an Old TPLink Powerline adapter (Av600 - V1.2. TL-WPA4220) and I plugged it into the socket and it seems to have a stronger signal outside than my router where it is located.

For some reason however this will only let me connect to it, but won't let me log in to change any settings (keeps saying I am connected directly to the router, which isn't the case)
    But before I spend time trying to get that sorted, does anyone think this is the best solution? The WiFi within the house is perfect, so I think I will just use something like the TP Link as a dedicated point for the cameras.
    Also, looking it up it says it should be able to take up to 300Mb, however I was only getting about 30 when I was connected to it the other day?
    Would anyone know if it is a case that this is just an older model? And I would need to upgrade it?
    Or maybe I wasn't doing it right at all since it wouldn't let me connect to the TPLink?
    Finally, which would be best in this situation:
    1. Connect the TPLink to the Virgin router?
    2. Connect the TPLink to the Google WiFi router (which is currently connected to the VM router)
    3. Either, it doesn't make a difference!

Thanks in advance,
    N
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Best solution for outdoor would be to set up a TP link AP outdoor access point.

You can pick up an omnidirectional one on amazon for about 80 euro. You will need to run a shielded CAT6e cable from the LAN port in you current router to the AP

It's simple plug an play and will give you excellent line of sight wifi for a 100 meters +

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Looking for a cheap and cheerful WiFi booster as cannot connect to WiFi in two back rooms
    Any suggestions

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nheav

Best solution for outdoor would be to set up a TP link AP outdoor access point.

You can pick up an omnidirectional one on amazon for about 80 euro. You will need to run a shielded CAT6e cable from the LAN port in you current router to the AP

It's simple plug an play and will give you excellent line of sight wifi for a 100 meters +

Great stuff,

Thanks for that.
    So I would need to get a Cat6 cable from my router to the AP?
    Does it then extend my current signal? Or create a new SSID?

Also, do you know if it only works on line of sight?
    I have 4 items (3 x camera and 1 doorbell) outside, and only 1 of the cameras and the doorbell would be in the same line of sight.
    Assuming it would work, but just not as strong, around corners?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

nheav wrote: »
    Great stuff,

Thanks for that.
    So I would need to get a Cat6 cable from my router to the AP?
    Does it then extend my current signal? Or create a new SSID?

Also, do you know if it only works on line of sight?
    I have 4 items (3 x camera and 1 doorbell) outside, and only 1 of the cameras and the doorbell would be in the same line of sight.
    Assuming it would work, but just not as strong, around corners?

It creates a separate SSID, you will set up a password
    There are different versions, one type is directional and can travel for up to 50km but they're very directional,

The one I'm referring to sends out a spherical signal or omini directional (ie In all directions)

If you can see the antenna from your camera you'll get the best signal, if not, well it depends..one j have is on the gable of the house..i can get the signal from inside the house in the 2 end rooms, but the more materials in the way the poorer the signal is. It's all about positioning..or you could get 2!

They dont need to be in the same line of sight as you put it, as long as wherever they're positioned you can see the antenna.

That said, I have some cameras that while they cant see the antenna there would only a simple shed galvanise roof obstructing the signal and not heavy tiles or timber etc

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nheav

It creates a separate SSID, you will set up a password
    There are different versions, one type is directional and can travel for up to 50km but they're very directional,

The one I'm referring to sends out a spherical signal or omini directional (ie In all directions)

If you can see the antenna from your camera you'll get the best signal, if not, well it depends..one j have is on the gable of the house..i can get the signal from inside the house in the 2 end rooms, but the more materials in the way the poorer the signal is. It's all about positioning..or you could get 2!

They dont need to be in the same line of sight as you put it, as long as wherever they're positioned you can see the antenna.

That said, I have some cameras that while they cant see the antenna there would only a simple shed galvanise roof obstructing the signal and not heavy tiles or timber etc

Great,
    Thanks for the reply!

My doorbell is covered by the existing internet within the house, no need to worry about that one, but the other 3 are only getting signal at the moment when I have the router and point in particular places (places I don't want them to be in long term!!) so it's those 3 I am trying to get sorted!

I have 1 on the side of the house, 1 on the front and 1 on the back, however the front and back cameras are both very close to the corner of the side of the house (if that makes sense)
    So I could position this on the side and hopefully it would be good for all 3!

Last thing I need to figure out is how to get a Cat6 out to it as neatly as possible!

Thanks very much,

N

• Advertisement
Advertisement