Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass Though EZ RJ45 crimping

Options
  • 07-10-2020 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I was reading a Ubiquiti forum and came across a thread on pass through EZ crimping.

The majority of the feedback was very positive and the crimper linked below was recommended.

In my experience the most difficult part when crimping is getting a good solid crimp on the part of the cable to stop the RJ45 from coming off. This is even more difficult now with the bigger Cat6a cables.

Using this system it looks like there is a lots less room for error and you will always get a good solid crimp.

Anyone tried or moved to this system and can share their experience?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VDV226-110-Pass-Thru-Modular-Crimper-Yellow/dp/B076MGPQZQ/ref=sr_1_22?dchild=1&keywords=ez+crimper+pass&qid=1602078058&sr=8-22

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Never used these, tried using the insert type plugs instead and found them a faff so have gone back to ye-olde type. So I'd be interested in how well this works and also how dear/available the plugs are.

I'd be slightly concerned that you do actually have exposed, potentially voltage carrying wires at the tip of the plug. More of an issue with really crap equipment than the connector but its still something to consider. Also another blade to wear out in the tool!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I had not even been aware of those pass-through connectors until I read this.
    I have long cursed the usual method which requires exact cutting to get the best result.

Presumably a standard crimper could also be used and the wires trimmed manually after crimping.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I had not even been aware of those pass-through connectors until I read this.
    I have long cursed the usual method which requires exact cutting to get the best result.

Presumably a standard crimper could also be used and the wires trimmed manually after crimping.

The Pass Through crimper cuts the wires as it crimps but you can use a standard crimper. You just cut the wires manually after.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Would need to check that you do actually have a sane crimper; there are some nuts ones with "pockets" of sorts that would not let you have wires hanging through.

They presumably have an ideal deformation pressure for the strain relief catch which other ratcheting crimpers may over-go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I have that exact same crimper in front of me, which I used for Cat 6 cables. It is pretty handy as an all in one cable tool. I haven't anything negative to say about it. The little blades can taken on and off as needed, if you wanted to sharpen or replace them. Feel free to ask me anything about them and I can answer it for you.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Are you using the tool to crimp using the pass through RJ45's . If so how would you compare to the standard method and which RJ45's do you buy and where?

Do any B&M shops in Dublin stock the crimper do you know?

Yes, I did. I just got a bunch of RJ45s, keystone jacks and jackets for the end of the cable from Amazon. Using the pass through was easy. I hadn't crimped cables in about 10 years and it was simple to pick up again.

Do you have much to do?

Its more of a hobby for me than anything else and I'm in the process of upgrading my network. I'll be buying the crimper more out of interest than anything else. A friend is looking for help installing a CCTV system so that will be it's first job.

Yeah, that why I purchased one to upgrade the home network. I'm kind of finished now for a few weeks anyway so if you wanted to borrow it for the weekend feel free. I have some spare RJ45s etc too if you needed them.

I have ordered one Static but thanks for the offer, appreciate it.

Looking forward to giving it a try. Might re crimp some of my sketchy connections :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Looking through Amazon reviews, throughout 1-4 star ratings, some left by allegedly IT/net engineers, same flow of design mentioned - wires 1 and 8 not trimmed after crimp.
    I will stick to my old tool that served crimping hundreds of connectors over ~15 years...

I noticed that with the majority of crimpers but the crimper I linked to in my original post has over 2000 5 star reviews. The RJ45 connectors I ordered have good reviews also.

I report back when I get to use it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Dazzy wrote: »
    I noticed that with the majority of crimpers but the crimper I linked to in my original post has over 2000 5 star reviews. The RJ45 connectors I ordered have good reviews also.

I report back when I get to use it next week.
    Skimmed through several pages of 5star -few mentioned here too.

Don't get me wrong - wish you to get good tool and it will last you.
    Let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rugrat69

These plugs are around a while really handy I use the CNet quick plug with the special crimper no more errors or miswiring works all the time even with my dickie eyes due to old age.

Advertisement