Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring for landline?

Options
  • 07-10-2020 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭

I am in the process of first fix wiring for a complete gutting and rewiring of a house.
    Going to be running Cat 6 everywhere for data. But I'm not at all sure what accommodation I should make for a landline. I have no intention of getting one installed any time soon, if ever. But there is a small chance I may want one in the future for remote working etc. So if the cost isn't great, I may as well have the cables there.

Also, I know some broadband providers require a landline. So that's another consideration.

So my question is, what exactly should I be putting in at this stage, so that I can avoid having to run cables in the future, if I do decide to put in a landline a couple years down the line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Put in a second run of CAT6 everywhere you were going to put one if you want to spend extra to cover yourself for a landline in future.
    You can run the landline over a pair on that if you really must, but it'll be there for any other requirements that pop up too!

If you want a phone on a desk or in a room anytime in the future it'll be as easy to sort it out with a VoIP phone service such as already provided in most Fiber installations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Definitely do two ethernet cables to all points ...... the cable is cheap and one labour cost.

The Frit!Box routers preferred by a lot of ISPs have a built in DECT system which provides phone connections while using VOIP.

So I would not be bothered about that side of things.

Will you be getting a FTTH connection?

Advertisement