Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Review-IP

Options
  • 04-06-2021 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

Just wondering has anyone here in receipt of invalidity pension ever been called in for a medical review by the department ? When my husband got his approval letter there is a sentence on it that mentions the possibility of a medical review and he is a little stressed by it. It took ages to get the pension and the thought of having to go through all the questioning again makes him even more stressed.

I know a woman that used to work for citizens information and social welfare (a different dept though) and she says that she never heard of anybody begin called for any examination once in receipt of the pension. She has heard of some people having to attend one while the dept was trying to decide weather they should approve their initial application but never afterwards.

Just looking to see what your personal experience is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Howcanyou wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering has anyone here in receipt of invalidity pension ever been called in for a medical review by the department ? When my husband got his approval letter there is a sentence on it that mentions the possibility of a medical review and he is a little stressed by it. It took ages to get the pension and the thought of having to go through all the questioning again makes him even more stressed.

I know a woman that used to work for citizens information and social welfare (a different dept though) and she says that she never heard of anybody begin called for any examination once in receipt of the pension. She has heard of some people having to attend one while the dept was trying to decide weather they should approve their initial application but never afterwards.

Just looking to see what your personal experience is.

Hi, this is quite surprising, I'm no expert but I understood an invalidity pension was awarded until the claimant reaches state pension age and moves to that based on contributions and no reviews applicable. Obviously there are other allowances that are reviewed on occasions.

I know there arev posters with more understanding of this than I so hopefully they'll assist. I wondered albeit late in the day would a call to citizens information be worth doing in the mean time, they offer excellent and free advice. Good luck but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Howcanyou

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Hi, this is quite surprising, I'm no expert but I understood an invalidity pension was awarded until the claimant reaches state pension age and moves to that based on contributions and no reviews applicable. Obviously there are other allowances that are reviewed on occasions.

I know there arev posters with more understanding of this than I so hopefully they'll assist. I wondered albeit late in the day would a call to citizens information be worth doing in the mean time, they offer excellent and free advice. Good luck but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

Hi and thanks for your reply. He wasn't actually called for any review or anything. I was just wondering since his award letter says that "you may loose your entitlement to the pension if you fail to attaned a medical exam without good cause." There are other reasons such as engaging in paid employment or failing to notify them of change of address etc which are all understandable.

I was just wondering wheather anyone on here was ever called in for any sort of review as this lady that I know (that worked in citizens info/social welfare) kind of implied that they never actaully call anyone about anything unless you are clearly braking the rules by working for example and sombody reports you or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi and thanks for your reply. He wasn't actually called for any review or anything. I was just wondering since his award letter says that "you may loose your entitlement to the pension if you fail to attaned a medical exam without good cause." There are other reasons such as engaging in paid employment or failing to notify them of change of address etc which are all understandable.

I was just wondering wheather anyone on here was ever called in for any sort of review as this lady that I know (that worked in citizens info/social welfare) kind of implied that they never actaully call anyone about anything unless you are clearly braking the rules by working for example and sombody reports you or something like that.

Apologies, I misunderstood. It would be normal practice to put in these standard T&C"s as such and it would be a surprise if they did not. As you'll know its extremely hard to get the IP and the process extremely thouragh. Medical reviews are always a possibility but extremely unlikely after an IP as been awarded. Medical reviews more likely is disibilty allowance cases. Apologies for misunderstanding your query/concern.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Howcanyou

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Apologies, I misunderstood. It would be normal practice to put in these standard T&C"s as such and it would be a surprise if they did not. As you'll know its extremely hard to get the IP and the process extremely thouragh. Medical reviews are always a possibility but extremely unlikely after an IP as been awarded. Medical reviews more likely is disibilty allowance cases. Apologies for misunderstanding your query/concern.

No problem, I am just at work so don't have much time to think about what I wrote :). I was thinking that, plus imagine if the outcome of any such review is that a person is no longer entitled and say they have been in receipt of IP for the last 10+ years, in reality, who is going to employ them with such a gap on their CV ?

You can at least do some work while in receipt of DA but only rehabilitative work/ some training courses while on IP (and you need written permission from the dept in order to do that) meaning that you would be practically unemployable after a number of years. What employer is going to risk giving a job to somebody that was so sick as to qualify for IP, that's just trouble right there from insurance perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

That's not true. All social welfare schemes can be reviewed. A person's medical condition may have improved over time and a Medical Assessor can review their claim, using up to date information.

However some claims are categorised as DNRA (do not refer again) by the Medical Assessor and these are not reviewed.

It really depends on the person's illness and to a certain extent the person's age. For example, a person in their 20s/30s can be awarded Invalidity Pension and this will be reviewed to see if their medical condition has improved with treatment after a given time.

By the way a person on Invalidity Pension can work but they must apply for Partial Capacity Benefit. https://www.gov.ie/en/service/c79268-partial-capacity-benefit/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

You can at least do some work while in receipt of DA but only rehabilitative work/ some training courses while on IP (and you need written permission from the dept in order to do that) meaning that you would be practically unemployable after a number of years. What employer is going to risk giving a job to somebody that was so sick as to qualify for IP, that's just trouble right there from insurance perspective.

Not true. Have a look at Partial Capacity Benefit.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/service/c79268-partial-capacity-benefit/

Advertisement