Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Rte with the wrong colours on the time and score graphic.

Not the first time. They've been well out on the clock a few times as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Rte with the wrong colours on the time and score graphic.

I just switched on and was really confused for a min!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I just switched on and was really confused for a min!

Fixed now! They must be reading this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Normally I'd shout for the underdog, but I hope Portugal stuff Orban's boys today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,783 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Whats with the black shirts in segments of the crowd? Anti-Orban protest?
    Thought I saw them doing Nazi salutes, but I couldn't be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Loving the full house in the stadium. Makes the game so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

They would've been shouting for the home team in Escape to Victory, let's say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It is mad seeing a full stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

There I was hoping it was something else :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Vicxas wrote: »
    Loving the full house in the stadium. Makes the game so much better

Atmosphere is flat enough for a full stadium.

• Advertisement

Hungary not afraid to get stuck in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,961 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Being "completely wound up" is a defence to racist abuse?
    No, what happens on a pitch isn't what happens in everyday life.
    It's an interesting theory. Not one I agree with, and frankly have never heard a footballer try the "it's fine because I was only being racist to get an edge", presumably as they know it's a nonsensical defence.
    The way it goes is players get wound up by hating on the opposition.
    A famous one is Seve Ballesteros about gold etiquette and being competitive,
    I look into eyes, shake their hand, pat their back, and wish them luck, but I am thinking, I am going to bury you.â€
    Now put that on a football field where the heart is racing and it can get a lot more vicious.
    I'm saying it's important to apologise afterwards and make it clear it's not what he believes but there's many who get very wound up.
    I know lots of people who are the nicest people you could ever meet except when they are on a football field.

I'm willing to forgive basically anything said on a football field, of any type, during a game so long as apologies come right after the game.

eagle eye wrote: »
    No, what happens on a pitch isn't what happens in everyday life.

The way it goes is players get wound up by hating on the opposition.
    A famous one is Seve Ballesteros about gold etiquette and being competitive,
    I look into eyes, shake their hand, pat their back, and wish them luck, but I am thinking, I am going to bury you.â€
    Now put that on a football field where the heart is racing and it can get a lot more vicious.
    I'm saying it's important to apologise afterwards and make it clear it's not what he believes but there's many who get very wound up.
    I know lots of people who are the nicest people you could ever meet except when they are on a football field.

I'm willing to forgive basically anything said on a football field, of any type, during a game so long as apologies come right after the game.

I dare say this is a very niche view, especially when it comes to something like xenophobia.

Your; "I know lots of nice people except when they're on a football field" - depends on the examples of course, but for something like this one with a particularly intentionally nasty edge, it's likely there are other heightened scenarios in life that would bring out that same nastiness too. It's usually not the sign of an actually thoughtful kind person. And generally, when there's one context in which someone often turns nasty, there's often others too that maybe people are not privy to. Not that that even matters - one context of this sort of thing is one context too many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

So much diving. Ref doing well so far.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,961 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

~Rebel~ wrote:
    I dare say this is a very niche view, especially when it comes to something like xenophobia.
    Yeah, well the world has gone mad or moreso social media is trying to make up the rules that people live by which is insane.
    I think most people I know who have had any involvement in team sports are of the opinion that what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,095 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yeah, well the world has gone mad or moreso social media is trying to make up the rules that people live by which is insane.
    I think most people I know who have had any involvement in team sports are of the opinion that what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch.

I don't know exactly what he said but there are definitely things that could be said that would find you very quickly getting uninvited to games with the lads I play sports with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Awful match so far.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I don't know exactly what he said but there are definitely things that could be said that would find you very quickly getting uninvited to games with the lads I play sports with

Yeah, exactly... there's the usual normal bit of anger/abuse you get always with competition - but if something turns to race or xenophobia, that's a whole different thing.

Bernardo Silva stinking out Budapest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hungary applying the Swedish game plan effectively so far! Portugal need to calm down a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Is it just me or is there an almost full stadium for the Portugal game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Pressure is on Portugal to get all three points here, same goes for Germany and France when they play Hungary.

Enjoying this game so far really cagey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,095 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

py2006 wrote: »

It is full. First one of the tournament

100% capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Awful stuff but you’d have to expect Hungary to put in at least a good first 45 and run themselves into the ground at home in front of a full house

Jota stinking the place up so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Having spent a lot of time on sports fields and around people who have done likewise, I must move in very very different circles to you if very personal or racist abuse is completely excused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I ****ing hate Portugal (except for holidays).

Would love if Hungary somehow got a point here.

• Advertisement

Sitter Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

tastyt wrote: »
    Awful stuff but you’d have to expect Hungary to put in at least a good first 45 and run themselves into the ground at home in front of a full house

It is that clichéd Cup Final for them so you'd expect them to give this one a real go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

big miss from cristiano. sitter

100% capacity.

Great to see, but how come??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,142 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Most folk know theres a limit for that. In life in general there are certain lines decent folk wont cross. And if some types do, they deserve the consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Some speed on that ball in. Best chance so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Jota stinking the place up so far.

The only player who has managed a shot on target, and in his case two?

That's all Ronnie is there for these days and he misses that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,142 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hungary is a peak edgelord basically. Kinda like Djokovic when he organised he Tennis Covid Giveaway Tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hungary is a peak edgelord basically. Kinda like Djokovic when he organised he Tennis Covid Giveaway Tournament.

Orban has killed the virus himself :)

On the other hand there are countries poorer than Ireland that are now vaccinating 12 years old. So yep, we are a little behind.

It is more suited for politics, though.

Portugal can't put the ball in the net, but they will. Only a matter of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Viktor Orban. Lifted almost all Covid restrictions in May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

sugarman wrote: »
    This looks to be going the way of Spain v Sweden last night.

Portugal have too much firepower they'll score eventually. Spain have Morata, enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I miss Bill.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Viktor Orban. Lifted almost all Covid restrictions in May.

I didn't realise it was being hosted in so many diff countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,311 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ronaldo not on form. He really should have scored a few times now especially that last chance before the break. That should have been in the back of the net. Maybe it's time for him to retire? He must be getting old?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Ronaldo not on form. He really should have scored a few times now especially that last chance before the break. That should have been in the back of the net. Maybe it's time for him to retire? He must be getting old?

He is 36 but has the physique and fitness level of a 22 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

For all their talent, I'd say it's an awful pain in the hole having Ronaldo and Bruno constantly moaning at you for not passing to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

For all their talent, I'd say it's an awful pain in the hole having Ronaldo and Bruno constantly moaning at you for not passing to them.

I live Bruno. However, he is super precious. Look his way and he's complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

AMKC wrote: »

He's 36 but in the age of sports science age is slowly becoming just a number. With 36 goals in 44 games this season I don't think many share your view that he should retire.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I live Bruno. However, he is super precious. Look his way and he's complaining

He's always moaning but Silva and Ronaldo not too far behind, must be a Portugal thing, they are hard to like as a neutral.

Hungary will tire here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement