Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Friendly Peaks

Options
  • 04-06-2021 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭

We've got 3 peaks left out of the 32 county tops in Ireland, but since county #28 we got a dog.
    We've now become very aware of the number of peaks that are out of bounds if we have Fido with us :(

Of the 3 we have left to do, my understanding is that we can only climb Knockmealdown (via Sugarloaf) with the dog, and not GalteeMor or Mweelrea (from Silver Strand).
    Or is even Knockmealdown possible? I've read somewhere it's privately owned, but I can't see any "No dogs" sign at the start of the Sugarloaf trail.

Following on from the above, would people mind posting in this thread where IS ok with a dog?
    From the little research I've done, it seems that it would be easier to come up with a list of peaks/ranges/routes that is allowed, than the longer list of where it's not.
    Tagged:

Comments

I'd work on the assumption that every summit is privately owned farmland and dogs are always banned...unless it's very clear they're allowed. I'm struggling to think of one summit in the SW outside Killarney National Park, and they're also not allowed on trails like the Kerry Way, Beara Way etc. because they all pass through sheep farms. I'd be surprised they're allowed on Knockmealdown because I assume it's used for sheep grazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

They've recently been banned on Lugnaquilla and elsewhere in Wicklow after some sheep were found drowned in a bog hole after getting stuck. I was up there 3 weeks ago and quite a few brand new signs up saying no dogs. https://wicklownews.net/2021/05/uplands-council-call-for-greater-responsible-dog-control/

My suggestion, if possible for you, is to hike or visit the prospective route yourself to see if theres any signs or anything. That has served me well in the past when I've gone somewhere that dogs arent allowed and I've still been able to enjoy my hike.

Goes without saying, keep it on a lead. Easy these days with loads of very long leads available.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

Glad I stumbled on this, wouldn't have thought dogs are banned completely from these trails but would have obviously known to keep a dog on the lead!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Glad I stumbled on this, wouldn't have thought dogs are banned completely from these trails but would have obviously known to keep a dog on the lead!

Yeah. You're one of the responsible few. Its mental, and maddening, how many just let theirs go. Slieve Donard last week was like a free for all dog park and not one on a lead.

I've found Tonelagee in Wicklow to be one of the best places to take my dogs. Ive done it a handful of times at this stage and only met other people twice. Plenty of sheep, deer and ground nesting birds though so vital they're on a lead.

Torc mountain in Killarney is popular with all kind of walkers and dogs. I'm not sure about Mangerton, I've never had 1 of mine with me when I've done it but I dont recall any signs. Definitely banned on Carrantouhill, loads and loads of signs up as soon as you get there saying dogs banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yeah. You're one of the responsible few. Its mental, and maddening, how many just let theirs go. Slieve Donard last week was like a free for all dog park and not one on a lead.

I've found Tonelagee in Wicklow to be one of the best places to take my dogs. Ive done it a handful of times at this stage and only met other people twice. Plenty of sheep, deer and ground nesting birds though so vital they're on a lead.

Torc mountain in Killarney is popular with all kind of walkers and dogs. I'm not sure about Mangerton, I've never had 1 of mine with me when I've done it but I dont recall any signs. Definitely banned on Carrantouhill, loads and loads of signs up as soon as you get there saying dogs banned.

Yeha

Can completely understand dogs love their freedom but not at the cost of livestock/wildlife!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

Here's a list of the peaks I'm aware of where dogs are allowed (on lead).
    Happy to correct/update with any others people know of.

County|Peak
    Antrim|Trostan
    Armagh|Gullion
    Carlow|Mount Leinster
    Clare|Moylussa
    Donegal|Errigal
    Down|Donard
    Dublin|Kippure
    Kilkenny|Brandon Hill
    Leitrim|Truskmore (only via Transmitter Road)
    Longford|Corn Hill
    Roscommon|Seltnasaggart (Curry Hill)
    Sligo|Truskmore (only via Transmitter Road)
    Westmeath|Mullaghmeen
    Wexford|Mount Leinster
    Wicklow|Bray Head
    |Djouce
    |Glendalough - Spinc
    |National Park
    |Sugarloaf
    |Tonelagee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

This is all news to me too. Really good information!
    We've only had a dog the last years, and kids are just big enough now for some hillwalking.
    We all made it up the sugar loaf last month, dog included and on lead. There were a good few dogs, I think all on leads.

I haven't be out walking in a while, but had not even thought about dogs not being allowed on the mountains. I'll keep it in mind now if ever planning walks

josip wrote: »
    Here's a list of the peaks I'm aware of where dogs are allowed (on lead).
    Happy to correct/update with any others people know of.

County|Peak
    Antrim|Trostan
    Armagh|Gullion
    Carlow|Mount Leinster
    Clare|Moylussa
    Donegal|Errigal
    Down|Donard
    Dublin|Kippure
    Kilkenny|Brandon Hill
    Leitrim|Truskmore (only via Transmitter Road)
    Longford|Corn Hill
    Roscommon|Seltnasaggart (Curry Hill)
    Sligo|Truskmore (only via Transmitter Road)
    Westmeath|Mullaghmeen
    Wexford|Mount Leinster
    Wicklow|Bray Head
    |Djouce
    |Glendalough - Spinc
    |National Park
    |Sugarloaf
    |Tonelagee

Fair play.

The dog debate generally breaks down into the age old "they should be allowed" v "but it's the farmer's private land, and livelihood"

Good to see someone trying to come up with a list of dog friendly summits.

You can add Torc in Kerry...

Advertisement