Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disibility Allowance Long Term Thyroid Disease

• 06-06-2021 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for advice on a long term prognosis and applying for Disibility Allowance.

I've a rare Thyroid Illness known as Graves (sounds ominous I know) First diagnosed four years ago and took some time to get meds right to manage it. I've struggled on and fortunate to have and excellent Endocrinologist and GP. Additional complications include high blood pressure and cholesterol levels and increased heart rate, all requiring medication daily. Insomnia and muscle pains also a real challenge.

I know very little about Disibility allowance but I've reluctantly come to the conclusion I'll have little choice but to apply soon, @ 53 it's not a decision I'm coming to lightly. I also have a full medical card, thankfully this covers GP visits, Consultant and prescriptions, I'm greatful for this.

Work had become a real struggle, I'm currently on PUP, due to be called back to work in a month, Employer has been genuinely brilliant throughout my illness and thankfully flexibility help me avoid any sick leave, In some respects the pandemic, being stuck at home etc has taken additional toll. I hate the thought of having to apply for DA and wondered if anyone has guidence specifically with a Thyroid disease. I should point out it's likely I'll have this Disease for life and whilst Meds manage some symptoms, others, sufferers have to live with. I'm not sure if my illness would be considered for DA but dibilitating it certainly is.

Thanks in advance of any responses :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for advice on a long term prognosis and applying for Disibility Allowance.

I've a rare Thyroid Illness known as Graves (sounds ominous I know) First diagnosed four years ago and took some time to get meds right to manage it. I've struggled on and fortunate to have and excellent Endocrinologist and GP. Additional complications include high blood pressure and cholesterol levels and increased heart rate, all requiring medication daily. Insomnia and muscle pains also a real challenge.

I know very little about Disibility allowance but I've reluctantly come to the conclusion I'll have little choice but to apply soon, @ 53 it's not a decision I'm coming to lightly. I also have a full medical card, thankfully this covers GP visits, Consultant and prescriptions, I'm greatful for this.

Work had become a real struggle, I'm currently on PUP, due to be called back to work in a month, Employer has been genuinely brilliant throughout my illness and thankfully flexibility help me avoid any sick leave, In some respects the pandemic, being stuck at home etc has taken additional toll. I hate the thought of having to apply for DA and wondered if anyone has guidence specifically with a Thyroid disease. I should point out it's likely I'll have this Disease for life and whilst Meds manage some symptoms, others, sufferers have to live with. I'm not sure if my illness would be considered for DA but dibilitating it certainly is.

Thanks in advance of any responses :)

There are no regulations for this specific disease.
    In your case I would apply for sure. The department will call you in for a medical assessment. You are free to tell them anything you like about your disability. They are interested in how this illness prevents you from functioning in a normal way and prevents you from keeping or picking up regular work.
    You can also hand in any medical reports from your doctors.
    If you are able to demonstrate that you are unable to keep a job due to your condition, you will most likely be awarded DA.
    The whole process will take about a year.
    Keep in mind that DA is a means tested payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

hawthorne wrote: »
    There are no regulations for this specific disease.
    In your case I would apply for sure. The department will call you in for a medical assessment. You are free to tell them anything you like about your disability. They are interested in how this illness prevents you from functioning in a normal way and prevents you from keeping or picking up regular work.
    You can also hand in any medical reports from your doctors.
    If you are able to demonstrate that you are unable to keep a job due to your condition, you will most likely be awarded DA.
    The whole process will take about a year.
    Keep in mind that DA is a means tested payment.

Thanks for that, I'd no idea it took a year but good to know, appreciate the response

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Sienna5050

In my experience it took 6 months ,but my for ex it only took 3 months ,it all depends on the information you give detailing on a day to day basis how your illnes effects you in undertaking full time work /or not being able to .,,
    The crux is being abe to prove that you can no longer work full time in your current field or other work suited to you.
    It used to take a long long time but had got shorter but who knows with the pandemic how long it will take now .
    It is a very difficult payment to get and most are refused first and then you have to appeal ,
    I am on it a good few years now but was working part time before the pandemic ,,, which you are allowed to do and first 140 is disregarded in means test if you work.. Supply all medical reports and a doctors letter to support it all ,you must expect your illness to prevent work for 12 months or more and it is important the dr supports this ,,Doctors i think dont realise the importance of what they write in these applications ,,My Dr was very simplistic in my first application ,it was my own letter on appeal that got me awarded ,
    Hope this helps . best wishes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Invalidity Pension is the payment you should be looking for if you have the prsi contributions as it is not means tested. For both of these payments they will expect your doctor to fill out a report saying that you are not fit for work.

Sienna5050 wrote: »
    In my experience it took 6 months ,but my for ex it only took 3 months ,it all depends on the information you give detailing in a day to day basis how your illnes effects you in undertaking full time work /or not being able to .,,
    The crux is being abe to prove that you can no longer work full time in your current field or other work suited to you.
    It used to take a long long time but had got shorter but who knows with the pandemic how long it will take now .
    It is a very difficult payment to get and most are refused first and then you have to appeal ,
    I am on it a good few years now but was working part time before the pandemic ,,, which you are allowed to do and first 140 is disregarded in means test if you work.. Supply all medical reports and a doctors letter to support it all ,ypu must expect yur illness to prevent work for 12 months or more and it is important the dr supports this ,,Drs i think dont realise the importance of what they write in these applications ,,My Dr was very simplistic in my first application ,it was my own letter on appeal that got me awarded ,
    Hope this helps . best wishes .

Thanks so much, very useful info. My disease is what it is and I've been told whilst manageable complications such as fatigue, chronic insomnia, tremors and muscle pain are in themselves difficult to control. Ironically without actually realising I had Graves, I left hospitality industry after almost 30 years due to what I perceived was exhaustion, moved into a less stressful industry and 2 years into it got the diagnosis which is pretty much for life. I've a genuine concern about being able to function normally in time, hence my concerns now, for the future. I appreciate your advice and words of wisdom and happy If I apply subject to approval be able to at least work PT, I didn't know that :)

• Advertisement

I agree totally with Sienna post above.
    The refusal rate is very high first time as i no.
    The key is a really good Doctors letter. It makes a huge difference.
    I do some part time work but as poster mentioned the invalidity pension is another option as you would have a paid sufficient prsi

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Sienna5050

Im not sure if you can be working when you apply ,i had to give up my work at the time{not to aply ,unable to work} i applied as was unable to continue to work on a full time basis .i was several years before i took up part time rehabillitive work but i think it no longer has to be rehabiltive ,,
    Hope you get it sorted it is a difficult process ,

Sienna5050 wrote: »
    Im not sure if you can be working when you apply ,i had to give up my work at the time{not to aply ,unable to work} i applied as was unable to continue to work on a full time basis .i was several years before i took up part time rehabillitive work but i think it no longer has to be rehabiltive ,,
    Hope you get it sorted it is a difficult process ,

O I understand, I'm just curious if I can ask, if and when applying must you be in work? It occured to me if applying you would obviously be not working, hence the reason for applying, then it occured to me, JSA/JSB would technically not be available to a person as I belive a qualifying condition would be available for work? If I'm making sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I was on JSA when I applied for DA. It was actually a case officer in the DEASP that encouraged me to apply so I could access supports with getting back to work. There was no issue with me remaining on JSA while waiting for a decision. Like the OP I resisted applying for DA for years as I felt I didn’t need it. For a number of years I was working part-time, doing courses, on the CE scheme or with Jobpath. Two separate years with them. I guess when they looked up my history it was obvious I was struggling to hold down full time employment, while trying my best to do so for years. Applying for DA is a very individual thing. Each case is assessed on its own merits. I would advise reducing your hours at least if work is taking its toll on you and applying for DA on the basis that you are unable to work full time hours. Write a detailed letter outlining how you have struggled with work due to your condition and include it with your application. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

I agree totally with Sienna post above.
    The refusal rate is very high first time as i no.
    The key is a really good Doctors letter. It makes a huge difference.
    I do some part time work but as poster mentioned the invalidity pension is another option as you would have a paid sufficient prsi

Good Luck

It's not often poiinted out that one of the reasons that the refusal rate is so high is because so many of the application forms are very poorly filled in. It's a form that requires a lot of time and attention and should - no, make that - MUST include as many details as possible regarding the effects of their illness/disability on the applicant's work and home life.

I echo the suggestion that the OP should apply for both payments.

• Advertisement

I was on JSA when I applied for DA. It was actually a case officer in the DEASP that encouraged me to apply so I could access supports with getting back to work. There was no issue with me remaining on JSA while waiting for a decision. Like the OP I resisted applying for DA for years as I felt I didn’t need it. For a number of years I was working part-time, doing courses, on the CE scheme or with Jobpath. Two separate years with them. I guess when they looked up my history it was obvious I was struggling to hold down full time employment, while trying my best to do so for years. Applying for DA is a very individual think. Each case is assessed on its own merits. I would advise reducing your hours at least if work is taking its toll on you and applying for DA on the basis that you are unable to work full time hours. Write a detailed letter outlining how you have struggled with work due to your condition and include it with your application. Best of luck with it.

Thanks for that, I've seen your excellent advice on various Threads, always appreciated. I had actually given up a very busy career because of chronic fatigue, moved to a less stressful job, and reduced hours also before getting a diagnosis . I've been putting off a decision re applying for DA but really need to think long term now. Currently on PUP, due back soon with no gaurentees anyway. Thanks again for the input :)

All good posts again and have highlighted that the work has to be rehabiliative
    This can be a bit sketchy what classes as that and i forgot to mention it in my post.

You should have a proper chat with your doctor and then explore your options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

All work is now considered to be rehabilitative for Disability Allowance.

DA really is the most flexible social welfare payment. It can be hard to get but once approved there are excellent supports available.

I was unaware all work is now classed as rehabilitative
    This is good to no and thanks for pointing it out.

All good posts again and have highlighted that the work has to be rehabiliative
    This can be a bit sketchy what classes as that and i forgot to mention it in my post.

You should have a proper chat with your doctor and then explore your options.

Absolutely, I suspect I might need something from. consultant endocrinologist also.

Advertisement