Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weir and Son sell out 25 €90,500 Pateks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

Us peasants can’t view with out an account...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Does AML apply to luxury goods like this I wonder. Not saying that was the case by the way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The boom is back folks. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I would believe it! There is a lot of €€€ around.

I remember trying to source a watch in Keanes last year and the salesman tried to sell me other stuff and finally admitted they next one was going to some one who had dropped 100k on a watch earlier that year. No competing with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Homer

Having just come back from the Far East I wouldn’t be surprised if a chunk of those were Chinese customers. I know Sheerans have employed a mandarin speaker so would be shocked if Weirs haven’t done the same. The Chinese seem to have money to burn and love their luxury brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

893bet wrote: »

Old school me, I buy the paper 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Never in the shop but surprising to see they have 105 staff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

The shop is a few floors in height - there's a basement and 2(?) floors up too - so they have plenty of backroom staff not out on the counters.

Good on them I say - if they can make those sales then I definitely won't begrudge them that.

Mrs and I got our wedding rings there so always a nice reminder whenever we walk by on Grafton Street - you know you've made it reputation-wise when burglars even stole the weirs boxes from our house when it was broken into last time :D

Wibbs will be sad to learn that these discerning burglars didn't take any of the quartz watches from the watch box :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Does AML apply to luxury goods like this I wonder. Not saying that was the case by the way.
    It does indeed, I was at a conference in the law society recently about it, jewellers, motor dealers and estate agents in attendance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

A special Weirs edition PP? That sounds like a pretty obscure item. Surprised that it would have significant international appeal.

https://weirandsons.ie/blog/weir-sons-150-years-patek-philippe-collaboration/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Homer wrote: »
    Having just come back from the Far East I wouldn’t be surprised if a chunk of those were Chinese customers. I know Sheerans have employed a mandarin speaker so would be shocked if Weirs haven’t done the same. The Chinese seem to have money to burn and love their luxury brands.

They definitely had a mandarin speaker there last year. The customers were in the Rolex area of the shop looking like they were happy to drop a fortune.

Marcusm wrote: »
    A special Weirs edition PP? That sounds like a pretty obscure item. Surprised that it would have significant international appeal.

https://weirandsons.ie/blog/weir-sons-150-years-patek-philippe-collaboration/

It’s a limited edition. It’s patek. People want rarity, want to be part of an exclusive club.

**** me it’s ugly! Why did they do it green. Does everything Irish have to be green!!

It’s a limited edition. It’s patek. People want rarity, want to be part of an exclusive club.

**** me it’s ugly! Why did they do it green. Does everything Irish have to be green!!

Absolutely rare special editions can be very collectible. However.....

The green face is not bad. The strap takes away from rather than enhancing it. At least Weirs is not on the face, unlike say corporate or military branded special editions. Still have difficulty seeing it as a premium purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I’m pretty sure that all non eu visitors to Ireland benefit from vat rebates once they go home within 3 months of purchase dated . The 23% refund on a limited edition patek will give to a tidy profit on resale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

thomasm wrote: »
    Interesting article here. Weir and Sons have sold 25 Patek Phillipe limited edition watches priced at €90,500 !!!

https://www.businesspost.ie/business/watch-weirs-e90500-commemorative-timepiece-446733

Sure wait for the price drop at the next CAB disposal of forfeited assets sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Casio is yer only man, and saves you €90,450.

scwazrh wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure that all non eu visitors to Ireland benefit from vat rebates once they go home within 3 months of purchase dated . The 23% refund on a limited edition patek will give to a tidy profit on resale

Only if there’s a secondary market enhancement from the specialness of the edition!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

Copy/paste the text for us peasants perhaps?
    or is that naughty?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd imagine Irish Americans bought them. They'd get a shamrock on them if they could.

On green though, look at how popular the hulk is. Personally green on watches isn't for me at all, but plenty of people are into horrible looking watches. Look at everything Richard Mille makes.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were sold to residents of Drimnagh, or Rathkeale..............

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be surprised if they were sold to residents of Drimnagh, or Rathkeale..............

I think gold banded rolex are the pinnacle for them

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'd imagine Irish Americans bought them. They'd get a shamrock on them if they could.

On green though, look at how popular the hulk is. Personally green on watches isn't for me at all, but plenty of people are into horrible looking watches. Look at everything Richard Mille makes.

I think green is very nice in general. It’s just very stereotypical to do green as of the Irish connection. The strap is horrid in my opinion. Dial was plenty to nod to the connection. That mess is what I would have expected Omega to come up with.

I think green is very nice in general. It’s just very stereotypical to do green as of the Irish connection. The strap is horrid in my opinion. Dial was plenty to nod to the connection. That mess is what I would have expected Omega to come up with.

It needs a shamrock on the dial and little pints of Guinness as hour markers.

Cienciano wrote: »
    It needs a shamrock on the dial and little pints of Guinness as hour markers.

And a pot of gold on the clasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Yes very true.

Advertisement