Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping bike from Germany

Options
  • 23-06-2019 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here after doing it?
    What would be the best way to go about it and cost involved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its pricey enough, I am currently looking at a bike in Frankfurt that is cheaper then the UK equiv. All the bells and whistles that I want but its gonna be pricey either getting it myself (Flight over, 2 ferries back, fuel, overnight stay UK Id say. Insurance in Germany for the trip is a must also (have to have temp insurance) I have not enquired yet about getting it collected but I know its €250-300 for a UK collection so its gotta be €500+ for a europe collection.

Still a possibility that I do get it I will PM you if I get a price.

The ride home is worth it....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Its pricey enough, I am currently looking at a bike in Frankfurt that is cheaper then the UK equiv. All the bells and whistles that I want but its gonna be pricey either getting it myself (Flight over, 2 ferries back, fuel, overnight stay UK Id say. Insurance in Germany for the trip is a must also (have to have temp insurance) I have not enquired yet about getting it collected but I know its €250-300 for a UK collection so its gotta be €500+ for a europe collection.

Still a possibility that I do get it I will PM you if I get a price.

The ride home is worth it....

Thanks Wonda.
    The bike I want is between Berlin and Poland and is thristy enough on juice so I have no idea how much it would cost to ride it that far!
    If I could find one closer I'd probably have it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I used https://www.overlanders.ie/ a few years ago. It was roughly E550 delivered to the Irish midlands. As far as I can remember them have 2 bases in Germany one of which is in Memmingen in the south. It should be cheaper if the bike can be dropped off at one of their bases so the truck does not have to go mad out of the way to pick up a bike.

I used https://www.overlanders.ie/ a few years ago. It was roughly E550 delivered to the Irish midlands. As far as I can remember them have 2 bases in Germany one of which is in Memmingen in the south. It should be cheaper if the bike can be dropped off at one of their bases so the truck does not have to go mad out of the way to pick up a bike.

Thanks RT.
    I'll give them a shout.
    If there is a delivery company that does Poland to Ireland it would be probably on their way.

It's all the one now,just informed bike is sold!
    Thanks anyway lads.

• Advertisement

Not the actual bike but this is what is was hoping to get
    Gen 1 Touno (racing)
    Made for the Italian naked bike championship.
    Gutted now that it's gone

dgo2s1.jpg

156bh9z.jpg

2pzjziq.jpg

2hn9s1c.jpg

9leqo3.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....lol.

Nice machine, but not my cup of tea.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....lol.

Nice machine, but not my cup of tea.

Says the man with the bandit!!! :P

Seriously though, there was one I missed out on for sale here around 4 years ago and I saw it parked 15 miles from my house last summer.
    Was hoping I'd bump into the owner to see would he sell it but didn't.
    I love them.

No GSXF anymore....could not live with the shame.

:
    No GSXF anymore....could not live with the shame.
    Are you bikeless at the moment until you pick your next one?
    Is the one in Frankfurt nearly a done deal or have you a few others to consider?

• Advertisement

Bikeless at the moment Blade, have been saving like a mad man.

One in Germany is my 1st choice, but I have 2 plan B's also...deffo have a bike in 1-2 weeks tops. Would prefer picking one up in the UK its alot more straight forward but I am determined to get the bike I want this time around.

@Wonda-boy Well good luck with it , hope it works out for you!

Overlanders got back to my about shipping and said they could only do it if the bike was dropped to South of Germany so they probably would have been out of the equation anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I got a quote of around €350 for a Europe pick up delivered to Ireland by a guy called Slampi on facebook.

He's always over and back to Europe / UK picking up bikes

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I got a quote of around €350 for a Europe pick up delivered to Ireland by a guy called Slampi on facebook.

He's always over and back to Europe / UK picking up bikes

That's good to know,thanks Blanchy.
    A guy in UK is after contacting saying he has one for sale but I'm not getting my hopes up of a good deal or the bike being what I want it to be
    If it was uk,all going well I'd pick it up myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

What's the story with exporting from Germany with bike in a van re to procedure, do you have to visit German dvla etc.?? Anyone?
    Also would it not be a good way to buy and export. .. rent a van for the weekend and off you go?

Looking like I'm close to completing a deal.

This is the actual bike.
    15xwwfr.jpg

Get the seller to do a video of the bike and stick a private link up on utube...you will get a good look at it before going over.

Get the seller to do a video of the bike and stick a private link up on utube...you will get a good look at it before going over.

Yeah he has offered to do that already.
    Bike is in an Aprilia shop in UK that the shop owner went to Belgium to it pick up.
    He has another one himself.
    His one is no.89 and my one(hopefully) is no.45.
    No.44 is in Italy and no.46 is in San Francisco.
    Some useless info for you there :pac:

Ohhhh someone is in LURVE!!!!!!!!

If it means that much to you mate I hope you get the machine....nothing better then having a bike you really really want.

• Advertisement

Ohhhh someone is in LURVE!!!!!!!!

If it means that much to you mate I hope you get the machine....nothing better then having a bike you really really want.
    Smitten!!!

Bike isn't registered in UK, it's Belgian.
    If I ride it back can the UK cops do anything if the pull me.
    Would I have trouble insuring it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

blade1 wrote: »
    Smitten!!!

Bike isn't registered in UK, it's Belgian.
    If I ride it back can the UK cops do anything if the pull me.
    Would I have trouble insuring it?

I'm with AXA/AON and I just gave them the French registration of a bike I was riding back and they put it on cover for 30 days. UK cops could act the bollix if you don't have documentary evidence of insurance cover but maybe your insurance co will issue a cert.

I'm with AXA/AON and I just gave them the French registration of a bike I was riding back and they put it on cover for 30 days. UK cops could act the bollix if you don't have documentary evidence of insurance cover but maybe your insurance co will issue a cert.

I'm with Carole Nash.
    They email the documents but If I remember correctly they wouldn't insure a UK bike for me a while back.

Do you best to come back any other way then WALES and you be sound.....no hooligan ****e mind!

Do you best to come back any other way then WALES and you be sound.....no hooligan ****e mind!

I'll have to come through Wales somewhere Wonda, either Pembroke or Holyhead.
    Also,there will be no reg. plate on the bike :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,901 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'll have to come through Wales somewhere Wonda, either Pembroke or Holyhead.

You can get export plates and temporary insurance. Google export bike from Belgium and a few different companies pop up.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can get export plates and temporary insurance. Google export bike from Belgium and a few different companies pop up.

The bike will be coming from UK but it registered in Belgium.
    Will that still work?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,901 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The bike will be coming from UK but it registered in Belgium.
    Will that still work?

Don't know, doubt it. Delivery from the UK isn't that much when you add in your travel time over and back. Not as much fun as riding the new toy home but less hassle to get it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No plate on the bike? I'd be surprised if you got 10 miles!

Are you old enough to remember the famous FOR REG plate? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Without a reg plate you really can't ride it anywhere. In your position I'd rent a van and go collect it myself - bring the missus and offset the cost by selling it as a 'romantic city break'. :D

Advertisement