Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get going on Wall Insulation before 1st November?

Options
  • 22-06-2019 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

On SEAI website they say if you are applying for External or Internal Wall Insulation grants and you commence works on or after 1st November 2019, you will be impacted by changes to the Building Regulations (Part L). "You will be required to comply with the new Building Regulations (Part L) as a condition of your grant payment."

What does this mean for the punter please? Does it mean more $$$ after 1st November to do the same job? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

The new regulations (part L) have a clause called “major renovations” that basically means that if you are improving 25% (if I remember right) or more of the thermal envelope (walls, floor and ceiling/roof) that you will be required to do other works to ensure that the boiler and ventilation etc is also at a minimum standard.

Essentially after November you might be required to change your boiler to a better one (depending on how efficient current one is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Thanks very much, that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

Of course only if you are applying for the grant. My own experience on two occasions is that its financially much better to haggle, than use seai grant system.

rn wrote: »
    Of course only if you are applying for the grant. My own experience on two occasions is that its financially much better to haggle, than use seai grant system.

Nope, compliance with building regulations is required even if not receiving grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

Actually that's a fair point... Does that mean moderate upgrading of existing houses now falls under building regs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Gileadi wrote: »
    Nope, compliance with building regulations is required even if not receiving grant.
    Won't that put people off doing incremental upgrades? Maybe all someone can afford is dry lining or something?

rn wrote: »
    Actually that's a fair point... Does that mean moderate upgrading of existing houses now falls under building regs.

It always did (you can’t create any new or greater contravention to the building regs due to any works) previously the regs only applied to the element of the work that you were doing. The major renovations clause is a new principle as it may require you to do additional works to bring other areas up to a minimum standard.

Apparently the new TGD L is imminent so should be outlined in that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Due shortly alright. We were told it would be online in the next couple of weeks.
    Will come at the same time as Part F revision too (Ventilation)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

The new Part F is up. Just saw it on Friday so I'd say L will be online very shortly.

The 25% requirement will be very onerous but there were one or two provisos added to it in the draft version. For example if I remember correctly even if your attic was over 25% of the envelope in a domestic house upgrading attic insulation didn't buy you in to the "cost optimal upgrade" system.

I'm working from memory here so I could be off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Gileadi wrote: »
    The new regulations (part L) have a clause called “major renovations” that basically means that if you are improving 25% (if I remember right) or more of the thermal envelope (walls, floor and ceiling/roof) that you will be required to do other works to ensure that the boiler and ventilation etc is also at a minimum standard.

Essentially after November you might be required to change your boiler to a better one (depending on how efficient current one is)

Is there any more info on how they decide if additional works would be required? Im doing windows/doors soon and after that possibly EWI but not before November 1st. Am also planning MHVR. Dont have a boiler but just electrical storage heaters so presume they wouldnt be trying to insist on me getting a heat pump in order to get the grant for EWI?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Table 6 on Page 38.

Pumping cavity walls and installing ceiling insulation are both specifically described as "not considered major renovation works"

Advertisement