Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet travel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Officer999

Hi all, old thread but wanted to mention this as the previous comments were relevant.

So as previous posters said, you can fly out of Dublin with Lufthansa with your pet in the cabin but can’t fly back into Ireland. You can add KLM to that.

So we booked our pet dog on a flight from Dublin to Amsterdam in October but weren’t allowed to book it for the return trip. They have it on their website that you can’t fly into the UK with a pet in the cabin. Ridiculously like Lufthansa they have grouped in Ireland with the UK! I have tried ringing the KLM customer phone number but gave up after no one answered after 45 minutes of being on hold.

Does anyone know of any European airlines which allow you to fly your pet back into Ireland in the cabin?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Two years ago, Iberia were the only ones I could find, and they were excellent. There were weight and size limits, though. Back then, LH didn't even say that they'd allow pets in the hold at all - when I went to book my pet, I was told that all the flights were fully booked. When I questioned how that could be, considering how few pets (compared to people) do fly, the woman I spoke to went off to talk to a supervisor who told her that there was another little-known regulation that said that LH didn't permit the transport of pets to the UK at all. When I challenged that, saying that the Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK, and that it'd be like LH stopping pet travel to Spain because they don't allow it to France, she went off again to check with her manager, to confirm that it wasn't permitted in Ireland, too. This was pre-Covid, I'd say things have gone downhill since. Funny because they did allow it, 11 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

TAP Portugal allow pets in cabin, but you have to ring them to book it.

I flew mine just last month with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭josip

That's weird. I've just booked our pooch out and back from Dublin via Schipol and it's showing as 'Confirmed' on their website. I booked it all online via the MyTrip link. I wonder will they cancel the booking in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bykobap

Hi cromelex, could you please go into more detail regarding boarding with your pet at Lisbon and disembarking in Dublin.

I thought there was a blanket ban on pets travelling to Ireland in cabin, cargo travel only etc.

Tia

• Advertisement

Really. We could only book our pooch on the Dublin - Amsterdam route via the My Trip link. When we tried booking her on the return flight to Dublin it didn’t allow us to select the option of a pet. Just a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

There is no ban for sure.

I flew Dublin-Lisbon and then Lisbon-Dublin with TAP Portugal. Booked the flight online and then rang to add the pet to my booking. It must be under 8kg (with the carrier) to be allowed in cabin, and TAP charges 70 euro each way. Not all breeds are allowed.

In both airports I only had to go to the check in desk for them to check my cat's passport.

After this it was pretty much straight forward - only had to hold her outside the bag while going through security (not ideal for a cat) and that was it.

No additional checks on boarding nor arrival. Much simpler than I expected. Provided that you're flying within the EU there are no additional checks.

Hi all, update on this. So we finally got through to KLM on the phone….40 minutes wait. But the good news is our pooch is now booked on the return flight from Amsterdam to Dublin. Will let you know how we get on!

Advertisement