Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remove Paint from a Stone Wall

• 15-06-2019 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering how to remove paint from an outside stone wall?

It only had one coat on it, and it wasn't even fully finished. There's not much on it and the wall isn't big, so hoping it's not a difficult job to get it off.

Used run of the mill paint remover (white spirits) by painting it on with a brush, then painting more on with a brush an hour later, and an hour after the second coat trying to scrub it off with a hard sponge and soapy water, but that barely took anything off.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I didn't paint the wall!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

White spirit is not a paint remover... if I read your post right. I would go straight for a power washer with a ball nozzle. If you are lucky and the paint has not penetrated it will lift it all off.

If it is a small area a domestic washer could do the job. For a larger area hire an industrial one.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Thanks TopTec.

Well it's not white spirits, it's some cheap yoke I got in Woodies that is for removing paint. I thought it was similar to white spirits. It actually took a tiny bit off but not noticeable.

Don't think I can get my hands on a power washer and from a quick google search they appear expensive for the small job I need one for.

Apologies, but any other ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Sorry, but you are up a gum tree in that case. Proper paint stripper will remove surface paint but not the deeper stuff. I can hire a small washer from a local tool hire here in Mayo for 40 euro a day, you would spend at least that on stripper for a smallish wall.

Alternatively you could pay someone to wash it for you, plenty of adverts on line for driveway cleaning, they would do it for you.

Sorry I can't be more help. Where are you based?

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hokey power washers and ancient solvents are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

You can get a cheap power washer in LIDL for about €40

21/25

• Advertisement
Advertisement