Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotted a strange bird and I have no clue what it is

Options
  • 22-05-2019 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately I have no photos, he flew off 5 seconds after spotting him. Didn't look like a wild bird native to Ireland, possibly someone's pet or escaped from somewhere?

It was a small bird, about the size of a Starling. It had long/skinny white tail feathers, longer than its body, the tail feathers were quite 'fluffy' looking rather than smooth like normal feathers.

It also had long white feathers coming out either side of its head, the same kind of feathers as its tail, long/skinny and fluffy. The head feathers were tucked back and rested against its body, they weren't sticking outward or upward.

There was no apparent bright colours, the bird looked look it was pale neutral colours. The only colour I'm sure of is the white feathering sticking out of it.

I've tried explaining this to my other half and he thinks I'm mad. Luckily I wasn't the only one to have seen it, otherwise I might be doubting myself!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Could it have been a whitefaced/pearl cockatiel whose feathers were messed up after being mobbed by other birds?

7oDnXfP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

B0jangles wrote: »
    Could it have been a whitefaced/pearl cockatiel whose feathers were messed up after being mobbed by other birds?

7oDnXfP.jpg

No, it would have been smaller. The head feathers were nearly the length of the body and were identical to the tail feathers.

The tail feathers would look sort of like grass stalks, like this but skinnier. Same as the head.
    https://previews.123rf.com/images/design56/design561109/design56110900166/10641176-tropical-grass-seed-stalks-on-white-background.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Was it a small tumbler pigeon

VonVix wrote: »
    No, it would have been smaller. The head feathers were nearly the length of the body and were identical to the tail feathers.

The tail feathers would look sort of like grass stalks, like this but skinnier. Same as the head.
    https://previews.123rf.com/images/design56/design561109/design56110900166/10641176-tropical-grass-seed-stalks-on-white-background.jpg

Ok, that sounds really weird, absolutely no idea what that could be. I'm really hoping someone solves your bird mystery now :P

Was it a small tumbler pigeon

No, some mild similarities in body shape/colouring. But missing the long feathers on the head and tail. And when I say long, the tail was as long as the body and the head feathers were a bit shorter than the length of the body from what I can recall.
    Ok, that sounds really weird, absolutely no idea what that could be. I'm really hoping someone solves your bird mystery now :P

I know! I have been Googling birds like a mad thing and I haven't even been able to find something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Was it some type of young ornamental pheasant maybe

I have attached a (terrible) drawing of what I saw. Hoping it helps a bit with identification! Again, the feathers sticking out were an off white and it was quite small, about Starling sized.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I highly doubt it, but was it like a Starling Bali?
    What you are describing is certainly not a native or wild bird of Ireland.

ZiabR wrote: »
    I highly doubt it, but was it like a Starling Bali?
    What you are describing is certainly not a native or wild bird of Ireland.

No, too smooth/lacking the feathering I've mentioned. Gorgeous though.

That's what has me confused! I've never seen anything like it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Long tailed tit maybe? Maybe if the fluffy feathers were a trick of the light :o

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Long tailed tit maybe? Maybe if the fluffy feathers were a trick of the light :o

The tail feathers were hanging off the fence it was sitting on (the bird had its back to me) so they were clear enough to see and then it flew behind the tree the fence was next to.

I know, it sounds really odd! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

What you describe sounds almost like a bird of paradise. Unlikely but maybe someone lost a captive one

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Good sketch. From that I'm saying pheasant but that is probably too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Could it have been a little Egret in breeding plumage? Depends on if it had long or short legs I guess!

Or a pokemon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

An albino something-or-other? Just for the hell of it: Hoopoe? Odd one ends up in Ireland this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Sounds more like a Long-tailed Tit than anything else.
    Google image search?

An albino something-or-other? Just for the hell of it: Hoopoe? Odd one ends up in Ireland this time of year.

And albino-something-or-other is probably the best shout I've seen so far!
    Day Lewin wrote: »
    Sounds more like a Long-tailed Tit than anything else.
    Google image search?

Way too small, it had a more pigeon shaped body, but more lean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

What about something on this line

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

cd07 wrote: »
    What you describe sounds almost like a bird of paradise. Unlikely but maybe someone lost a captive one

an escapee sounds much more likely; any photo of that please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Hey
    Sorry for jumping in the thread but I have a similar query.
    Two small feeders down the back of the garden in the bushes. Robins blackbirds baby wood pigeons sparrows finches all there regular.
    Then yesterday and once today a weird bird I’d never seen.
    It looks like the size of a blackbird but it’s a weird white and blue markings. Kind of like the bogey Chinese crockery your gran would have. It’s a very vivid blue.
    I’ve tried to get a picture but haven’t been able yet.
    It’s beautiful but looks totally weird. Never seen the likes of it.
    Anyone able to identify?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hey
    Two small feeders down the back of the garden in the bushes. Robins blackbirds baby wood pigeons sparrows finches all there regular.
    It looks like the size of a blackbird but it’s a weird white and blue markings. Kind of like the bogey Chinese crockery your gran would have. It’s a very vivid blue.
    Anyone able to identify?

A Jay maybe?

Hey
    Anyone able to identify?

Weirdly, I saw something similar a few days ago and was told by another person there that it was a blackbird, but with leucism, which is when they have partially missing pigmentation. The one I saw was white with dark grey/charcoal feathers, definitely not blue though.

Q9O8xmO.jpg
    edit: not my picture, just one that looks a lot like the bird I saw

Weirdly, I saw something similar a few days ago and was told by another person there that it was a blackbird, but with leucism, which is when they have partially missing pigmentation. The one I saw was white with dark grey/charcoal feathers, definitely not blue though.

Q9O8xmO.jpg
    edit: not my picture, just one that looks a lot like the bird I saw

Wow!! It’s almost identical to this but really vivid blue markings over the white

This makes sense it’s probbaly the same condition.

Thank you :)

If it could be something else I’d be still interested. Never seen a bird like it.
    But your explanation sounds right.

Cool! With any luck if it really is a leucistic blackbird it'll live nearby and visit your feeders regularly so hopefully you'll get a second look :)

It’s been gas watching them. I only put out the feeders in a few months ago cos we have two small robins constantly. Now there’s loads and loads coming in.
    Made me wonder do they follow each other to find all the best food spots. All come similar times in the day too.
    Does be killings among them trying to get their shot on the feeders but it’s lovely watching them.

Ah bird feeders are brilliant - you start recognising specific birds and they recognise you too. We've a few pairs of robins that have tiny punch-ups all the time to decide whose turn it is to get some food :D

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Ah bird feeders are brilliant - you start recognising specific birds and they recognise you too. We've a few pairs of robins that have tiny punch-ups all the time to decide whose turn it is to get some food :D

The two robins and presumably their kids have been here for about 8 years.
    No fear of coming into the house. At all.
    One of them ‘died’ in the dining room and my dog was sniffing him. I came back with a tea towel to take take him out to the garden and he popped up and flew off.
    Crafty little devils:) one got up as far as my bedroom once. (Backdoor is always open in the warm months.) happily takes food out of my hand
    They’re brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

The two robins and presumably their kids have been here for about 8 years.
    No fear of coming into the house. At all.
    One of them ‘died’ in the dining room and my dog was sniffing him. I came back with a tea towel to take take him out to the garden and he popped up and flew off.
    Crafty little devils:) one got up as far as my bedroom once. (Backdoor is always open in the warm months.) happily takes food out of my hand
    They’re brilliant.
    Robin's AFAIK don't last more than 3/4 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭measurement

cd07 wrote: »
    I did a Google search for the image, and guess what..... OP seems to have been right first time😄
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/363595369889602880/&ved=2ahUKEwjvzLCyyIzjAhUTHcAKHdtzDWUQFjAAegQIAxAD&usg=AOvVaw0cwdjyST-ElBXGIQoneEbf

Advertisement