Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scores dead after motorway bridge collapses in Genoa

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The Morandi bridge was built in the 1960s, but restructuring work was done in 2016.

Reuters reports that the 1.2km-long bridge was undergoing further work to shore up its foundation at the time of collapse.

BBC.

I checked the bridge from streetview on Google maps.
    Images are taken from October 2017.
    Still a lot of scaffolding up.
    Doesn't look like a bridge that had much work done, but I'm no engineer.
    As others have mentioned, likely that corruption had a part to play...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why does everybody think that Ireland is the worst at everything when it's not.

Have you never heard of Italian corruption?

Ah but sure..Ireland is as bad as a West African dictatorship, don't you know :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Doubt it was Motherfcukingnature. Looked like a bridge on stilts , far to high up and prone to movement that overtime leads to failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why does everybody think that Ireland is the worst at everything when it's not.

Have you never heard of Italian corruption?

Exactly. Italy has huge issues with corruption including a lot of issues with building. I am not saying that is what happened here. But to say it's worse in Ireland is laughable. We just love putting ourselves down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Wouldn't be so sure if corruption was the issue this happened in the North of Italy in one of the wealthier regions if it had of happened in Sicily, Calabria, Naples or even Rome then the eyebrows would definitely have to be raised but Genoa is in one the most wealthy industrial regions not just in Italy but also in Europe.

Building and maintaining large scale infrastructure in Italy is a huge geographical challenge considering how mountainous the country is lots of large bridges and long tunnels in the side of mountains.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Exactly. Italy has huge issues with corruption including a lot of issues with building. I am not saying that is what happened here. But to say it's worse in Ireland is laughable. We just love putting ourselves down

Its way off subject. Horrible for these folks regardless of cause.

Just on ireland......the banking collapse, mary boyle, the government complicit in catholic church abuse (Magdalene laundry, Christian Brothers etc) Michael Lowry, Charlie Haughey, FAS, the awarding of the esat license (see above Mike Lowry) George Redmond, Ray bolurke, Liam Lawlor etc.

Garda penalty points, Claire dalys leaked wrongful arrest.

Falsified breath tests.

The cervical cancer scandal.

We are up there with the heavy hitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Section of bridge is highlighted here. None of it stood in the water there’s a vague video capture of the collapse too with some lightning activity

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1003201/Genoa-bridge-collapse-map-where-is-Genoa-Italy-news.com

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I checked the bridge from streetview on Google maps.
    Images are taken from October 2017.
    Still a lot of scaffolding up.
    Doesn't look like a bridge that had much work done, but I'm no engineer.
    As others have mentioned, likely that corruption had a part to play...

Why would corruption have a part to play?

Accidents happen everywhere, is it always down to corruption?

I'd say engineering and design is more the fault.

• Site Banned Posts: 37 Jeff Devoy

Sometimes the Mafia might have something to do with construction of bridges in Italy which would obviously be very shoddy, but I would assume that they would operate more in the south of the country.

This seems a bit like Grenfell Tower in that a recent refurbishment was the cause of a major disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I visited Genoa earlier this year, and was staying and working in Sestri Ponente. It's shocking to see this happen as that bridge was close by.

There's a lot of reliance on bridges and tunnels in Genoa as the terrain is so hilly. The roads would require a huge amount of maintenance to keep them in safe condition. Unfortunately it's clear that they're not getting the investment they require.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I must say the corruption ****e is some nonsense.
    I'm in Italy now and I've been following the news as it's been on all day.
    39 dead for now but cars still trapped under the ruins so expect that to go up.
    The bridge wasn't designed for the traffic it is taking and the department's involved were warned about it a few years ago.
    They were also told that it was not a good idea to have such an important route cross over residential areas but again was ignored.
    It seems that as well that due to the route connecting to the country's busiest port it causes a lot of trucks being stuck on the bridge in traffic which causes additional weight that the bridge again wasn't designed to do.
    The prosecutor has opened up the investigation as involuntary manslaughter and it will stay that way until all facts are none.
    So expect the charges to change.
    It's sad this has happened but the warnings were there to stop this.

bear1 wrote: »
    I must say the corruption ****e is some nonsense.
    I'm in Italy now and I've been following the news as it's been on all day.
    39 dead for now but cars still trapped under the ruins so expect that to go up.
    The bridge wasn't designed for the traffic it is taking and the department's involved were warned about it a few years ago.
    They were also told that it was not a good idea to have such an important route cross over residential areas but again was ignored.
    It seems that as well that due to the route connecting to the country's busiest port it causes a lot of trucks being stuck on the bridge in traffic which causes additional weight that the bridge again wasn't designed to do.
    The prosecutor has opened up the investigation as involuntary manslaughter and it will stay that way until all facts are none.
    So expect the charges to change.
    It's sad this has happened but the warnings were there to stop this.

Only eight people have been brought out so far and there were more than 40 cars on the bridge at the time of the collapse.

Like I said above, I'm drawing comparisons to Grenfell because in both circumstances the disaster was caused by shoddy renovations.

Jeff Devoy wrote: »
    Only eight people have been brought out so far and there were more than 40 cars on the bridge at the time of the collapse.

Like I said above, I'm drawing comparisons to Grenfell because in both circumstances the disaster was caused by shoddy renovations.

I don't know where you're getting your info from but to clarify my own numbers, 35 cars and 3 trucks were on the bridge from what's being reported.
    So far 26 are confirmed dead and 15 in serious condition.
    Draw all the conclusions you like but none of us have a clue until it's proven.
    Unless of course you're 100% sure you know then I'd suggest you go there and tell them.

bear1 wrote: »
    I don't know where you're getting your info from but to clarify my own numbers, 35 cars and 3 trucks were on the bridge from what's being reported.
    So far 26 are confirmed dead and 15 in serious condition.
    Draw all the conclusions you like but none of us have a clue until it's proven.
    Unless of course you're 100% sure you know then I'd suggest you go there and tell them.

The amount of deaths and injuries are unclear. I'm just going by what is perceived to be the more likely cause of the collapse of the Ponte Morandi.

Jeff Devoy wrote: »
    The amount of deaths and injuries are unclear. I'm just going by what is perceived to be the more likely cause of the collapse of the Ponte Morandi.

Ive just cleared up the deaths and injuries.
    That was as of 1 hour ago.
    We don't know what caused the collapsed.

Advertisement