Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P. R. Lee

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Creator/RLeeErmey
    Originally brought on to Full Metal Jacket for accuracy advice, his demonstrations of how to do a Drill Sergeant Nasty were so good that he was cast in his famed role.

Said demonstration was unflinchingly chewing out the camera with both tennis balls and rotten oranges being thrown at him, and he continued to chew out the camera for fifteen straight minutes, during which he never once moved, changed his expression, or repeated himself.

What really sealed the deal, however, was when he spoke to Stanley Kubrick on the set and said "YOU STAND UP WHEN I TALK TO YOU!!!" and Kubrick found himself doing so automatically.

You can catch R Lee Ermey's Mail Call on ForcesTV Freesat 165, Sky 264
    Tomorrow at 14:00

• Registered Users Posts: 28,728 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thats twice you told us that.

You ok man?

Thread merge I bet

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Although, of course, the... eloquent... characters that R. Lee played in movies or on Mail Call are well embedded in my cognitive association, I have also run into him 'out of hours', as it were. He had a bar, down in the Southern California near Palmdale. When he discovered that our little group was actually the local armor unit having a reunion on the tenth anniversary of our Iraq deployment, he made sure to hang out with us. I don't recall him ever having anything other than a smile on his face and enthusiasm in his voice. Definitely, he was one of the good ones. Oh, presuming the bar's still around, his FMJ uniform is on display in a cabinet.

Thats twice you told us that.

You ok man?

Think his head is F*ucked
    He needs to UnF*uck it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Toy Story Small Soldiers Starship Troopers he was in a fair few others as the army sergeant or voice over, iconic character who will be remembered for a very long time. Loved his simpsons character Colonel Leslie Hapablap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

• Advertisement
Advertisement