Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farm Insurance

• 25-07-2014 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭

Does any get their farm insurance from a company other than FBD and if so what are their experiences. I'm thinking of shopping around.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

have a few clients with acorn insurance in Galway. Although they are only brokers

I think avivia and Zurich insurance offer farm policies.

One client to note moved from FBD to Acorn and saved 20/25% and got extra cover. That was in April/May 2013 and he stayed with them on renewal this year also.

**** No way am i associated with any of the above companies or have I am commercial relationship with them****

I actually use FBD myself. MY jeep insurance was €560 and renewal next week and I asked why it was so high and they attached it someway to the farm policy and bang €470. 4years they have been over charging the feckers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

With aviation several years now, competitive. Fbd were way out when we last compared

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

With aviva several years now, competitive. Fbd were way out when we last compared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

Great thanks, i'll try all of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,818 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

just be careful just because a quote is cheaper doesnt mean you have the same cover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

With aviva several years now, competitive. Fbd were way out when we last compared

Ditto - no harm to sit down and compare like for like though and get them to quote one another.

whelan2 wrote: »
    just be careful just because a quote is cheaper doesnt mean you have the same cover

totally agree but some look for your old policy and do a quote based on it.

I know i have items named on my policy than would be unusual, and the portocabin has me caght as very few will quote for it. I also have tools covered and larger items like hotwash etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

have a few clients with acorn insurance in Galway. Although they are only brokers

I think avivia and Zurich insurance offer farm policies.

One client to note moved from FBD to Acorn and saved 20/25% and got extra cover. That was in April/May 2013 and he stayed with them on renewal this year also.

**** No way am i associated with any of the above companies or have I am commercial relationship with them****

I actually use FBD myself. MY jeep insurance was €560 and renewal next week and I asked why it was so high and they attached it someway to the farm policy and bang €470. 4years they have been over charging the feckers :rolleyes:
    That's a good point, I was told I couldn't do it, have jeep, farm, tractor & Quad on separate insurance. Even Cattle trailer has to be on jeep insurance rather than farm (or all together)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Switched from fbd to aviva and had more cover for 1500 less.
    Broker has us with Zurich this year, cheaper than aviva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

sako 85 wrote: »
    Does any get their farm insurance from a company other than FBD and if so what are their experiences. I'm thinking of shopping around.
    From experience, make sure your farm buildings are quoted at the proper price for storm damage.

Iirc, non-slatted cattle housing should be valued greater than E150/square meter(E10/m squared foot) and slatted housing greater than E220/ square meter(E13.90/ squared foot).

Its not just the roof you are insuring, its the complete building to be rebuilt from scratch and also the cost of removing and disposal of the old building.

Anything other than that and you are under-insuring your buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I renewed with fbd, but was talking to a guy afterwards who worked for either Zurich or Allianz. Which ever one started doing farm insurance in the last year. Says their doing deals. so there's definitely 3 players in the market. I'm sure he told me that they don't charge extra for livestock cover as I pay fbd extra for sheep worrying. So that's something else to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Only insured once with FBD and found that after the initial year they were way out with their quotes.
    Aviva for many years here and had no complaints even with a few claims.
    Switched to Zurich this year as they were better on price for the same cover.
    Will price all 3 in the Autumn(are Quinns still at it?) and see .
    Someone mentioned jeep tractor etc.Never had jeep or trailers insured on the farm policy as found it much cheaper to insure elsewhere.Always had dwelling houses and farm machinery inc. tractors on the farm policy though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

I renewed with fbd, but was talking to a guy afterwards who worked for either Zurich or Allianz. Which ever one started doing farm insurance in the last year. Says their doing deals. so there's definitely 3 players in the market. I'm sure he told me that they don't charge extra for livestock cover as I pay fbd extra for sheep worrying. So that's something else to think about.

How much roughly is sheep worrying cover costing you?
    Priced it a few times and was quoted outrageous money.Think it was based on the value of the entire flock.

Priced it a few times and was quoted outrageous money.Think it was based on the value of the entire flock.

I cannt remember exactly, but I think it was between 50 -100 euro extra to increase the worrying by €5,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I cannt remember exactly, but I think it was between 50 -100 euro extra to increase the worrying by €5,000

Had it for a few years - and actually made a claim on it for a few ewes one of the years. :mad:
    But like you said Paddy - it was outrageous expensive, so I cancelled it last year or maybe the year before.

I'm going to give Zurich a buzz next year at renewal. If they give me sheep worrying included at no extra cost, it'll make leaving or staying with fbd a easy decision. 100% of my farm is based around sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Anyone insuring a mower?
    What would it cover you against.

td5man wrote: »
    Anyone insuring a mower?

Have a client with the 2 balers insured and 2 years ago the insurance company coughted €10k and 2 weeks later a further €8k after they picked up 2 big stones in the swart and busted the pick up reels and bearings. Client was out the VAT element only which they got to claim on next vat return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

I went to aviva a few years through a broker, when the policy document arrived it was not the schedule I had agreed to

most important it had no employee liability & their forestry cover was nothing short of a farce , among others , don't know if the broker or insurance co were to blame but in any event I demanded and got a full refund.

remember some one on here last feb after the storm & unknowingly to him, he had no storm cover on his shed that blew down

whatever co. you are with make sure you have adequate cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Have a client with the 2 balers insured and 2 years ago the insurance company coughted €10k and 2 weeks later a further €8k after they picked up 2 big stones in the swart and busted the pick up reels and bearings. Client was out the VAT element only which they got to claim on next vat return

Did they pick up the stones in their own field or working for someone else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

td5man wrote: »
    Anyone insuring a mower?

Yes fully comp. doesn't cover wear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Everything here with fbd. Accountant said ours was a lot compared to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 john8984

I was with FBD fro many years but when I shopped around for better quotes Aviva came up with far better price for same level of cover, now with Aviva for three years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Justjens

Have been with Aviva for over 10 years, after being with FBD, had FBD out again recently to quote like for like with Aviva, and they are still a mile off.
    Tractors are €30 to €40 cheaper, employers liability goes up in stages of salary paid to employee, so works out very reasonable for casual workers. And all building cover was far less for the same level of cover.
    The only area FBD was cheaper was in public lia. as they go up in stages of acreage, so it's far more competitive for the smaller holdings.
    And they all cover you for a Revenue audit, not the tax but the accountants fees:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Justjens wrote: »
    Have been with Aviva for over 10 years, after being with FBD, had FBD out again recently to quote like for like with Aviva, and they are still a mile off.
    Tractors are €30 to €40 cheaper, employers liability goes up in stages of salary paid to employee, so works out very reasonable for casual workers. And all building cover was far less for the same level of cover.
    The only area FBD was cheaper was in public lia. as they go up in stages of acreage, so it's far more competitive for the smaller holdings.
    And they all cover you for a Revenue audit, not the tax but the accountants fees:)

employer's liability needs to cover a lot more than paid employees, that where a lot of folk miss out

I have posted many times in the past under this username and my previous one warning people of such & TBH I'm not bothered to do so any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

jt65 wrote: »
    employer's liability needs to cover a lot more than paid employees, that where a lot of folk miss out

I have posted many times in the past under this username and my previous one warning people of such & TBH I'm not bothered to do so any more

7]employer's liability needs to cover a lot more than paid employees, that where a lot of folk miss out

Please explain

A lot of the time help around the farm isn't paid employees , but family members, so make sure their covered. The other thing to look out for is to make sure your covered yourself in case your the one that has an accident. To be honest I don't know which insurer scores best with this type of cover

Did they pick up the stones in their own field or working for someone else?

both time in other places.

both times the farmers insurance would cover but claimed against their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Been with Aviva about 5-6 years previously with FBD. Aviva beating them but about 200 this year but was as high as 350 one year. Tractor with them about 80HP 4WD Ford 6610 value 12K I think it is about 200 euro comprehenive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

both time in other places.

both times the farmers insurance would cover but claimed against their own

Why did they claim against their own if the farmer had it ? Would their insurers not pass it on to the farmers anyhow ?

Advertisement