Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kickstarter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Great news for people looking forward to either Star Citizen or Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance/posts/751649

TL;DR? They'll be sharing tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

pixelburp wrote: »
    To be honest, the Oculus and Wiimote are already beyond the pale for this gamer, so any further strap-ons (ooh err) and widgets seem even more gimmicky and excessive than existing devices. All these things seem like answers to questions nobody asked, but if this company feels there's a market out there for their business, more power to them :)

Practicality versus immersion. The Rift lets you sit down while being fully in an environment. It's a practical device. Far more practical than a Wiimote.

If you want, you don't even need to use it to it's full extent (and can do most of your head movement with the mouse) while still retaining a complete frontal field of view.

The only impractical thing about it is the fact that it's a head mounted display. Okay, the whole concept is a bit alien to folks, but that completely vanishes once it's on.

This other stuff though where you're flailing about with full body suits on is ridiculous. You have absolutely zero awareness of 'the real world' once you're in the Rift. I've tried to stand up with it on a few times and it can be extremely disorientating just trying to remain in one spot. Moving around a sitting room is just not going to happen. Unless your sitting room is just a big empty space. (and I'm sure even then, you'll be bashing into walls! :D)

The maximum level I'd be willing to go for regarding peripherals would be some kind of motion sensing gloves. (The Razr Hydra is thinking along those lines already). As it just feels natural to be able to move your hands about.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

Backed this one a while ago.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera?ref=live
    lots of guys from the original Planscape:Torment

bellylint wrote: »
    Backed this one a while ago.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera?ref=live
    lots of guys from the original Planscape:Torment
    Really, this thread is more about ongoing ones, or progress updates on ones that are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Really, this thread is more about ongoing ones, or progress updates on ones that are done.

ah my apologies.

• Advertisement

bellylint wrote: »
    ah my apologies.
    Nah, its cool. I backed the game myself. Am looking forward to it. Though, think it has been put back from the stated goal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Darkest Dungeon: Roguelike RPG with a fantastic art-style and interesting premise where psychological conditions affect your characters as they battle the monsters. It's already funded, but the stretch goals look interesting enough:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460250988/darkest-dungeon-by-red-hook-studios

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Zaharia - isometric turn based rpg in an arabian nights type setting. Looks good but being unknown they might struggle to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Another unknown, this time a 3D brawler heartandslash which could be good, but might struggle to make their target.

Another unknown, this time a 3D brawler heartandslash which could be good, but might struggle to make their target.
    Over 60% of the way there with 27 days to go? They're in a pretty strong position.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks very like Megaman Legends, which is a good thing in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Been on the Kingdom Come page for a while today and with 27 hours to go I'm really considering it, as it now looks like a very safe bet (quality aside as who knows)

Anyone else have any opinions.

Varik wrote: »
    Been on the Kingdom Come page for a while today and with 27 hours to go I'm really considering it, as it now looks like a very safe bet (quality aside as who knows)

Anyone else have any opinions.
    I backed it. If you go for a physical tier, there'll be free shipping so I backed it more than I otherwise might have. They've done video updates which I've posted here. They have put up a new video since then but its 57 minutes and haven't watched.

Edit: I just quickly jumped through parts of the vid. Looks very promising.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah it's actually the Act 1 only limitation thats putting me off as good as it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I backed it. If you go for a physical tier, there'll be free shipping so I backed it more than I otherwise might have. They've done video updates which I've posted here. They have put up a new video since then but its 57 minutes and haven't watched.

Edit: I just quickly jumped through parts of the vid. Looks very promising.

I agree it looks good but for anything else I'd never pre-order 2 years in advance, I'd probably like to get the PS4 version but that could be even longer out and I've not idea how they'll handle which platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Over 60% of the way there with 27 days to go? They're in a pretty strong position.

Talking to them, they are quite worried that the $5000 pledge is a troll (they were delighted until somebody mentioned it in the comments section).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Holy crap, this has the potential to be awesome.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1257999391/framed-indie-aaa-action-shooter

Press E to give dish
    Press E to push cart
    Press E to open door
    Press E to answer phone
    Press Space on Ledge

I dunno how much of the trailer was cutscene with QTE and how much is actual gameplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Looks amazing, quite a stupid story though, by the looks if it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Julian Gollop, creator of original X-Com and more importantly, Laser Squad, has a kickstarter on the way for a remake of his brilliant Spectrum game Chaos.

Loved the original so will probably back this.

Chaos Reborn

http://www.chaos-reborn.com/

http://prefundia.com/projects/view/chaos-reborn/256

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Been following Kingdom Come: Deliverance since it was announced and I must say fair play for raising that much. Hopefully more people follow their method of doing a Kickstarter.

It isn't a site trying to make money so I'll just post the most recent update. From yesterday, but only saw it a few hours ago myself.
    Thank You

A month ago, we were all pretty nervous. After almost two years of struggle, we faced a do-or-die situation. There was no other chance to get financing for our game than doing a crowd-funding campaign. No publisher was willing to risk their money on a weird, historical game for a “niche” audience. No investor was going to step in without proof that their investment was going to pay off.

It wasn’t all hopeless; we had research that proved that the ideas of our game were resonating with gamers. But other voices were skeptical – “Kickstarter’s popularity is waning.” “The Olympics will sap our coverage.” “We’re not true indies – Kickstarter isn’t for people like us…”

I was very nervous. I had done my homework. I had studied all the unsuccessful campaigns that asked for more than US$500,000, and I knew a lot about the campaigns for projects similar to ours that managed to raise way over one million dollars. Those that didn’t had done something wrong, or their games just weren’t good enough. But was our game good enough?

And what about the press? Were they going to like it? Hadn’t they seen things much better behind closed doors? Some unannounced, next-gen, big-budget RPG we could never compete with? Were they going to be interested in a weird game from a little studio from some small country far, far away?

Then there were our fellow citizens in the Czech Republic – the most skeptical and sarcastic nation on the planet: “You are crazy! Who is going to be interested in history! In OUR history! Nobody cares about us!”

Hell, we even had problems finding a PR agency to represent us. We tried to hire several two months before the campaign, but everyone basically ignored us. Everyone told us that they don’t do Kickstarters – that press doesn’t cover Kickstarter projects anymore. Luckily, we met Corey Wade from US agency Sandbox Strategies, who believed in the project and quickly brought in Claudia Kuehl and Patrick Schroder from DELASOCIAL to focus on Germany. They got us in front of the press and thankfully the journalists responded positively and posted thoughtful previews of the game early in the Kickstarter campaign.

It took us a whole weekend to shoot the Kickstarter video with me telling the story. It was a last minute recording, and we did it in English knowing that, if my accent was too thick, it could have a terrible impact. I’m not a native speaker - how could our video compete with their awesome work?

That’s what was in our minds when we pressed that green PUBLISH button on our Kickstarter page one month ago…

The day we launched our campaign, I woke up in the morning to find we were the lead article on the front page of GameSpot, with our artwork all over the screen. Wow. And there was so much more to come. The response from gamers was even better. Better than we could ever wish for. It became clear that there are quite a few people out there who have similar tastes in games to our own.

The main “reason” we were rejected by all the publishers turned out to be totally false. Not only do people not need fantasy or magic or dragons to enjoy a game, they desperately want games without them! Along the way, we were fortunate to receive support and promotion for the game from such personas as Chris Roberts, Brian Fargo, Sven Vincke, and others. It’s really been one helluva ride.

We have raised almost 400% of our original goal. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is among the 30 most-funded Kickstarter projects of all time and in the top 15 of videogame projects. We have 35 thousand backers, with an average pledge of US$52. Our YouTube channel has more than a million views.

Simply said: You are awesome! Thank You!

So, what’s next? Now we have to make the game! We feel a lot of responsibility and obligation to deliver on our vision after so many people put so much of their trust into our project. It’s going to be hard to satisfy all those expectations, but we will do all we can not to disappoint you.

I will finally have time to sit down with the designers and start writing the quests and storyline. Next month, we will be joined by twelve new colleagues (some of them quite experienced senior developers from the recently disbanded 2K Czech studio in Prague). In just a few months, we plan to grow to more than 50 people, so we can make the big game we first dreamed of.

Of course, we will continue to openly blog about development, as we have in the past. Since we don’t need to hide anything anymore, it should be even more interesting. You can follow our blog here.

And if you want to stay informed about what is going on, please follow our: Facebook page, Twitter and YouTube channel.

We will also continue to raise money on our own webpage, where you will be able to get most of the same, terrific rewards and early access to the game, if for whatever reason you didn’t or couldn’t pledge in the past month. Our shop will accept PayPal and Amazon Payments, as many of you asked. We will continue to add new stretch goals as we can.

As promised, we will release an Alpha version in about six months to all those who pledged Baron-level support and higher, and we’ll be carefully looking at your feedback on our forums, which are open to all of our backers. By mid-2015, we should release the Beta, followed by the final version of Act I.

So, on behalf of the whole team, thank you again for your generous support and enthusiasm. Now, if you’ll excuse us, we are going to have a little celebration!

Cheers!

Dan Vávra Creative Director, Warhorse Studios

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Julian Gollop, creator of original X-Com and more importantly, Laser Squad, has a kickstarter on the way for a remake of his brilliant Spectrum game Chaos.

Loved the original so will probably back this.

Chaos Reborn

http://www.chaos-reborn.com/

http://prefundia.com/projects/view/chaos-reborn/256

I am a BIG fan of the original and have downloaded every remake out there even one called Chaos Reborn which is pretty good
    I solely have a Spectrum emulator on my phone for this game
    I am also playing a multiplayer version called sorcerers on android

These guys now have a public alpha available at that link.
    The day has come when Heart&Slash becomes more than just a Kickstarter video. If you check the main Kickstarter page, you'll see four new links towards the top. Those link to our very first public Alpha!

As a developer, I can't but be nervous about taking this step. On one hand, many of you have showed amazing support for this project, and it's only fair we show you how far we are in its development.

However, it's true that an alpha is a very unfinished piece of software, full of errors and unpolished pieces. Much like reading an early draft of a movie script, playing an alpha and been able to see the game that lies at the end of the way, takes experience and skill.

We are making the Alpha public because it's the fair thing to do. But when you play it, if you want to play it (if you have backed and are not that interested in given feedback, I would recommend waiting for the final game so that the experience is not spoiled, or even for the Beta) remember this is not how the final game will look, play or sound. It's only a draft of the game, with most systems implemented and working, but still not feeling as they should feel. If you notice a floaty animation, a shotgun without punch, a wandering AI that gets stuck sometimes... Believe us, we have noticed those too, and want and will do our best to improve those aspects until we can be happy with our work!

I want also to mention sound specifically, since in a way releasing the alpha as it is now is a disservice to our awesome sound designers, who are working hard at implementing the first layer of sounds into the game. However, we could not merge the two working versions on time, and thus, we decided to release the alpha with really bad placeholder sound. As soon as we get hold of the real sound files, we will be fast in updating this alpha so that you guys can listen to it.

Also, we will be reading all feedback you guys want to provide on the alpha, and will be reading it very carefully, for this alpha also gives us the first chance at seeing what people think of the game and that feedback will be fundamental in helping us improve the game!

With all that said, if you can understand what an alpha is and want to have a first (uneven) taste of Heart&Slash, go to our Kickstarter main page and download it!

I hope you enjoy it,

Juan Raigada

Lead Developer - Heart&Slash

There is a new tier which includes all 7 episodes. Costs $150 (98.50 euros).

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1763303301/ashen-rift-a-man-and-his-dog

(That's a different vid than the one of the Kickstarter page. An older one.)

Edit: Some Kickstarter stats after reaching the milestone of a billion dollars in pledges here: www.kickstarter.com/1billion?ref=promo&ref=PromoNewsletterMar0314

they've just reached 1 Billion on Kickstarter

billion.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anyone know what's Kickstarters take of that billion?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

pixelburp wrote: »
    Anyone know what's Kickstarters take of that billion?
    If memory serves 30% or something close to it. Of course that's not 300 mil net profit for Kickstarter because they also need to deal with the credit card fees etc. but it's still quite a bit of pocket change :)

• Advertisement

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1763303301/ashen-rift-a-man-and-his-dog

(That's a different vid than the one of the Kickstarter page. An older one.)

Edit: Some Kickstarter stats after reaching the milestone of a billion dollars in pledges here: www.kickstarter.com/1billion?ref=promo&ref=PromoNewsletterMar0314

they will need to heavily rework the gun system as it looks and sounds like a popgun with no meat to it.
    They will have to either add some impact animation or increase the blood on the aliens/creatures as well as they were very clunky

Advertisement