Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a block shed, advice please

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Metalrobe

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hardly a shed, more like an aircraft hanger! I wish I had the space for that, looking great.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Block work is coming along

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Metalrobe wrote: »

tidy blockwork

• Advertisement

Ya I've spoken to a few people around town and they reckon the two lads doing it are very good. Im not going to plaster it inside so they have pointed it for me so very tidy.

Roofer is coming tomorrow and the lads are finishing off the gables

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

When you moving in to your new house ?

hahaha! Ya its a fair size alright. Its going to be a home gym over lockdown and I need the storage in the loft for all the crap upstairs in the house. I will post a few more pictures over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lumen wrote: »
    Normal damp courses operate above ground level, they're designed to stop damp rising.

DPMs under slabs are also designed to stop damp rising (into and through the slab), but are not designed to stop water passing through walls.

Below ground level you're looking at tanking internally, sealing exterally or simply putting drains round the perimeter to carry the water elsewhere (downhill!). Any water coming sideways or downward should simply follow gravity rather than seeping through the wall.

Drains require some maintenance and enough slope to get the required falls.

You're making things more complicated by going below ground, but that's what makes it fun, right? :D

It's not below ground it you remove the ground from around it :)
    That's what I'm planning to do, then french drain against the walls and backfill with gravel.

Also make sure that the gutter is bringing the water somewhere else, you dont want to make problems for yourself.

For the block layers, at what length would you start to need piers?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Metalrobe wrote: »
    Ya I've spoken to a few people around town and they reckon the two lads doing it are very good. Im not going to plaster it inside so they have pointed it for me so very tidy.

Roofer is coming tomorrow and the lads are finishing off the gables

Wait, what? Two lads? Roofer coming?

DIY fraud!!!!! :D

Only joking, it's interesting nonetheless.

• Advertisement

Roof is nearly there now. Waiting for the gables to be finished and then I can felt and lat the roof.

Roof is nearly there now. Waiting for the gables to be finished and then I can felt and lat the roof. I've put boards here and brought up a few blocks to keep the block layer sweet so he might come tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 piotr_ts

Very nice job!
    I plan go ahead with a garage build myself but not sure where to start.
    Where did you get your plans from before applying for planning permission? Did you have "of-the-shelf" plans or is it a custom design?

Advertisement