Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ardamine Beach

Options
  • 24-06-2019 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

I do be down on Ardamine quite a bit but have never done any fishing, currently have a small 8ft rod and multiplier not been used in a while. Just wondering would this be any use for fishing from the rocks down there. Want to travel as light as possible, rod, reel and lures if possible. What the possibilities of catching anything with this setup or am I clutching at straws?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭.red.

FixitFelix wrote: »
    I do be down on Ardamine quite a bit but have never done any fishing, currently have a small 8ft rod and multiplier not been used in a while. Just wondering would this be any use for fishing from the rocks down there. Want to travel as light as possible, rod, reel and lures if possible. What the possibilities of catching anything with this setup or am I clutching at straws?

Cheers

Don't know anything about the beach but an 8ft rod and multiplier sounds like boat gear.
    Maybe the rod is fine(maybe not) but you will probably struggle to cast lures with the multi, it's not impossible but if your not used to the reel, and the rod isn't suited to casting light lures you will get loads of birds nests and end up spending more time clearing them than fishing.

Pic of a nest below in case you don't know what it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

.red. wrote: »

Cheers

Don't know anything about the beach but an 8ft rod and multiplier sounds like boat gear.
    Maybe the rod is fine(maybe not) but you will probably struggle to cast lures with the multi, it's not impossible but if your not used to the reel, and the rod isn't suited to casting light lures you will get loads of birds nests and end up spending more time clearing them than fishing.

Pic of a nest below in case you don't know what it is....
    Cheers for the reply, I think I have a normal reel that was bought for pike but never used( still in box) or would i be better just picking up something suitable, and if so any recommendations? Dont do alot of fishing so just something cheap and cheerful to do the job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Cheers for the reply, I think I have a normal reel that was bought for pike but never used( still in box) or would i be better just picking up something suitable, and if so any recommendations? Dont do alot of fishing so just something cheap and cheerful to do the job :)

Anything in the 15-40gr range unless you plan on going for big fish, the above will handle all the normal size wrasse, coalie pollock bass etc. Ideally 9 or 10 ft

Something like this in the 9ft 20-50.

Agility

for a reel, anything around 4000 size, Shakespeare agility 2 salts are quite good as are the mitchell, both have sealed drags to prevent salt corrosion but wash down all gear after being out or itl turn white and fall apart!

Salty

Saltier

I am jut going for generics above - I have no idea where you are going or what its like. There are loads of other options - you could go 10-30 gr with the weight if your into your light gear, I just prefer heavier metal lures when fishing.

If you have any specifics let me know - pm anytime

ardinn wrote: »

Anything in the 15-40gr range unless you plan on going for big fish, the above will handle all the normal size wrasse, coalie pollock bass etc. Ideally 9 or 10 ft

Something like this in the 9ft 20-50.

Agility

for a reel, anything around 4000 size, Shakespeare agility 2 salts are quite good as are the mitchell, both have sealed drags to prevent salt corrosion but wash down all gear after being out or itl turn white and fall apart!

Salty

Saltier

I am jut going for generics above - I have no idea where you are going or what its like. There are loads of other options - you could go 10-30 gr with the weight if your into your light gear, I just prefer heavier metal lures when fishing.

If you have any specifics let me know - pm anytime
    Cheers mate will have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

You’ll get bass, smoothound, codling, doggies, gurnard, eel, flounder and whiting there using bait.

• Advertisement

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    You’ll get bass, smoothound, codling, doggies, gurnard, eel, flounder and whiting there using bait.
    What would be the best bait to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Ragworm mainly, peeler crab a close second.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Ragworm mainly, peeler crab a close second.
    Cheers mate

Advertisement