Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building a modern farmhouse

• 21-06-2019 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Currently planning a new build on farm.

I’m new to this lifestyle so am seeking advice on what type of designs work and features best for farming lifestyle eg storing wellies, wash area inside the back door etc. I’ve heard that having office for blue cards etc close to kitchen can be handy.

So it’s this sort of advice and tips I am looking for and any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Teach30 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Currently planning a new build on farm.

I’m new to this lifestyle so am seeking advice on what type of designs work and features best for farming lifestyle eg storing wellies, wash area inside the back door etc. I’ve heard that having office for blue cards etc close to kitchen can be handy.

So it’s this sort of advice and tips I am looking for and any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Friend of mine connected the house to the garage via a kinda glass walkway kinda thing...
    Fierce handy - throw off the wellies, leave the worst of the muck in the garage... handy for getting sticks then as well, don’t have to be going out in the outside...

A shower downstairs inside the back door can be handy, depends on what kinda farming you do...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

A big utility room inside the back door, with shower, wc and basin. Put the freezer, washing machine and dryer in there too. We put the fridge there too as it's cooler, had an integrated fridge in the kitchen but it didn't last long.

Another tip is a sliding door near the woodburner so a bag of sticks can be dropped at the door.

Make the kitchen big enough for a tv and a few comfy arm chairs, it needs to be wide if you want an island unit.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with the build.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Similar here.
    Inside back door there is utility with storage for coats, boots etc, off that wash room/toilet with washing machine, tumble dryer sink and toilet.

Our kitchen is smaller for food prep only with minimal seating. Living/dining area is 9m x 5m. Dining table one end and sofa and seating the other end with stove and tv.

Small office/study on ground floor.

Then just for some 70’s nostalgia we have a sitting room too separate to living room. It gets lots of winter use but we watch little to no tv over summer so it’s less used then.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

blue5000 wrote: »
    A big utility room inside the back door, with shower, wc and basin. Put the freezer, washing machine and dryer in there too. We put the fridge there too as it's cooler, had an integrated fridge in the kitchen but it didn't last long.

Another tip is a sliding door near the woodburner so a bag of sticks can be dropped at the door.

Make the kitchen big enough for a tv and a few comfy arm chairs, it needs to be wide if you want an island unit.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with the build.

Perfect some great ideas thanks.

Apparently new builds are not allowed burn fossil fuels so no stove or fireplaces will be accepted our architect has said. Unsure as to whether or not we can get around this.
    I am also keeping kitchen separate from sitting/living room as I don’t like open plan but hoping to have plenty of space for island and a big kitchen table.

Great points on utility an trying to convince himself it needs to be quite big!

Apparently new builds are not allowed burn fossil fuels so no stove or fireplaces will be accepted our architect has said. Unsure as to whether or not we can get around this.
    I am also keeping kitchen separate from sitting/living room as I don’t like open plan but hoping to have plenty of space for island and a big kitchen table.

Great points on utility an trying to convince himself it needs to be quite big!

We built a house before there was any plans for farming, and the utility is very small and it’s a disaster...
    Big utility and lots of storage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Romaine

Totally separate office space from utility/boot storage etc. imo, or at least a large space that is foremost an office, not stuffed inside the backdoor.

In a perfect world I'd go with self contained utility/kitchenette/shower/office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

That's not true about the stoves anyway. Stoves are fine once they have their own external air supply. I'm building atm and have two. House will be A2 or A3

Open fires wouldn't work though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

First I heard about that rule. And we are right in the middle of a farmhouse build!

Our back door opens into the farmyard. Utility room there with a toilet and shower. Kitchen/dining room off this with living room on the far side. Bedrooms and main entrance on the other side of the house facing a small garden/courtyard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Definitely an office somewhere. If it’s not right beside the kitchen, I’d still have a designated cupboard in the kitchen or utility for farm related paperwork that somehow makes it’s way into the kitchen.

I wouldn’t bother with an island, it would just become a dumping ground in this house anyhow. I’m forever clearing off the kitchen table, if we had an island I’d be clearing that off too.

I’d also have somewhere under cover for drying clothes in winter. Whether that’s a shed or a utility room, whatever is best.

arctictree wrote: »
    First I heard about that rule. And we are right in the middle of a farmhouse build!

Our back door opens into the farmyard. Utility room there with a toilet and shower. Kitchen/dining room off this with living room on the far side. Bedrooms and main entrance on the other side of the house facing a small garden/courtyard.

Yes it’s NZeb regulations coming into effect in November. You are lucky to avoid it, we are hoping to somehow include a stove at least for effect. Still no idea how my oil aga will be fueled.. afaik if you can offset the energy usage in some way with an energy efficient alternative it might be allowed. I must do some more research. It’s a minefield all the new regulations.

Architect is v good but I still need to keep it practical and functional it’s not all about the look!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Plumb a seperate washing machine into the utility/mud room/whatever.
    Firing in a pair of jeans with grease/slurry/diesel on them on top of the Mrs's glad rags seldom en-dears you to them......
    If I was doing it again, the stairs and first floor would be concrete instead of wood.
    Kids tearing around upstairs sound like they are breaking in an arab stallion or something...(or an elephant)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Yes it’s NZeb regulations coming into effect in November. You are lucky to avoid it, we are hoping to somehow include a stove at least for effect. Still no idea how my oil aga will be fueled.. afaik if you can offset the energy usage in some way with an energy efficient alternative it might be allowed. I must do some more research. It’s a minefield all the new regulations.

Architect is v good but I still need to keep it practical and functional it’s not all about the look!
    My advise would be to build a large utility room with en suite (shower) and a annex off it with a radiator along one wall where you can hang wet coats, leggings etc and a rack where boots and wellies can dry out. An office/study is a must within the main house as if they are located in a shed/garage everything gets musty, damp and mice move in and eat your paperwork.

Re your oil fired AGA - get it converted to electricity or buy an electric one and power it with solar panels from your roof.
    http://www.agaliving.ie/our-products/aga-range-cookers/electric-aga-range-cookers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Base price wrote: »
    My advise would be to build a large utility room with en suite (shower) and a annex off it with a radiator along one wall where you can hang wet coats, leggings etc and a rack where boots and wellies can dry out. An office/study is a must within the main house as if they are located in a shed/garage everything gets musty, damp and mice move in and eat your paperwork.

Re your oil fired AGA - get it converted to electricity or buy an electric one and power it with solar panels from your roof.
    http://www.agaliving.ie/our-products/aga-range-cookers/electric-aga-range-cookers
    BP that's a very good idea - have you got this setup working yourself?.

gozunda wrote: »
    BP that's a very good idea - have you got this setup working yourself?.
    No but a wealthy friend of my eldest siblings had his 4 oven AGA converted to electricity several years ago. I understand that it cost a small fortune to run as he kept it running 24/7 even if he was out of the country. A few years ago he got a company in to insulate and retrofit his rather large home and as part of the works they put in solar panels and set up with battery storage that power the AGA. He also has a different circuit within the house that is powered by the batteries and if there isn't enough power in the batteries he switches to conventional ESB iykwim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭White Clover

I'd advise that that drying room that you're talking about should be in the garage or else you will have a distinct farming smell in the house 24/7!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭maisiedaisy

Consider a back hall with utility/bootroom off it instead of having the back door directly into the utility/bootroom, particularly if you have a lot of visitors coming in through the back door rather than the front!

Consider a back hall with utility/bootroom off it instead of having the back door directly into the utility/bootroom, particularly if you have a lot of visitors coming in through the back door rather than the front!

The boots will just be left in the hall then;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Put a large canopy outside the back door.... better still extend the roof out so you have a decent covered area.... had one in the old house with walls on 3 sides open to the south.... invaluable as a play area for kids on a wet day, drying clothes, bbq, turf bucket, put a decent bench in it and take off the boots / wellies outside...
    +1 on the hollow core floor also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'd advise that that drying room that you're talking about should be in the garage or else you will have a distinct farming smell in the house 24/7!

+1
    We never let wellies, boots or waterproofs into the house........ in fact anything that stinks of the farm isn't brought in to the house.
    A lot of our english cousin insist on us taking off our shoes going into their houses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

wrangler wrote: »
    +1
    We never let wellies, boots or waterproofs into the house........ in fact anything that stinks of the farm isn't brought in to the house.
    A lot of our english cousin insist on us taking off our shoes going into their houses

Where do you put boots/wellies.
    I hate cold boots, if there was some way of keeping them warm and leaving them in the yard I'd happily do it.
    We currently dont have a utility room, it's in the pipeline but not for a while yet. A wet day is the worst, waterproofs and wet jackets are dropped in the kitchen which is open plan and everyone knows how they smell!

• Advertisement

I hate cold boots, if there was some way of keeping them warm and leaving them in the yard I'd happily do it.
    We currently dont have a utility room, it's in the pipeline but not for a while yet. A wet day is the worst, waterproofs and wet jackets are dropped in the kitchen which is open plan and everyone knows how they smell!

We've a small shed near the house that has the Kerosene tank and we have boots and waterproofs there, it's only twenty foot from the back door, hate wellies in the dwelling house they fairly stink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Could you use a plastic coal or stick bunker outside the door for the time being?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Put a large canopy outside the back door.... better still extend the roof out so you have a decent covered area.... had one in the old house with walls on 3 sides open to the south.... invaluable as a play area for kids on a wet day, drying clothes, bbq, turf bucket, put a decent bench in it and take off the boots / wellies outside...
    +1 on the hollow core floor also...

Always liked American styled porches. Great especially on wet days. Strange houses here never really had something similar tbh ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Farmer friend built last year and his utility room is nearly as big as the kitchen. He has washing machine, freezer and dryer in the utility room. The best thing he said is having a shower and toilet just off the utility room. He also has an extra washing machine for the farm clothes. Covered clothes line as mentioned is also handy.
    He has office just off the kitchen but he put in an entrance to office from farm yard so he wouldn’t have to walk through the house to get to paper work.

I myself find a big functional kitchen a must , TV , stove and a few armchairs or couches. We spend majority of family time in the kitchen.
    Oh and he put extra controls for heating and water just inside door of the utility room.
    If I was building now I would definitely include a den/TV/playroom for the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If I was building a farm house now I would look at heating it with a W2W heat pump, making use of the supply from your own well in an exchanger. You could use underfloor heating or aluminium radiators. IWT with that renewable set up you'd be allowed have a wood stove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No but a wealthy friend of my eldest siblings had his 4 oven AGA converted to electricity several years ago. I understand that it cost a small fortune to run as he kept it running 24/7 even if he was out of the country. A few years ago he got a company in to insulate and retrofit his rather large home and as part of the works they put in solar panels and set up with battery storage that power the AGA. He also has a different circuit within the house that is powered by the batteries and if there isn't enough power in the batteries he switches to conventional ESB iykwim

Can this be done with a Stanley? Currently on oil.

Can this be done with a Stanley? Currently on oil.
    I don't know tbh.

We've Pat Smiths company doing us a price for doing this at the moment....... should be interesting.
    40% grants at the moment

We've Pat Smiths company doing us a price for doing this at the moment....... should be interesting.
    40% grants at the moment

Will you keep us informed as to how you get on please Wrangler. I’d be very interested...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

40% grants at the moment

Grants for converting an aga?

C0N0R wrote: »
    Grants for converting an aga?

No, For alternative energy

This is teh company we're talking to at the moment,
    http://localpower.ie/smart-solar-power/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

If designing from new,
    Downstairs bedroom
    Office
    Internet (Cat5) connection to every room and farm buildings from office
    A drying press, whether inside or outside a press with a radiator to dry wet coats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

Seai do community projects if you have one in your area or can set one up you can get grants of up to 90% depending on your situation and the amount of works undertaken. I got it done on my house and went above grant on a few items. The pv panels are a complete waste of time imo.

Who2 wrote: »
    The pv panels are a complete waste of time imo.

Oh, why so Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Internet (Cat5) connection to every room and farm buildings from office

I don't know if this essential now. Have them here but don't use as have Wi-Fi. 2 routers, one up, one downstairs (hollowcore floor).

Have setup as many have promoted boot room, downstairs shower room and large utility/laundry room. Tbh l don't use that shower as strip all off and head for ensuite in bedroom. Rarely organised enough to have a change of clothes downstairs.
    It will be handy in years to come when using bedroom downstairs.

Another small diy thing l did for convenience was fit a pir photocell sensor on boot room light. When open back door now on dark winters night the light comes on. No looking for switches hidden behind jackets and leaving paw marks on wall with dirty hands. Handy in a space you are just briefly in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Muckit wrote: »
    I don't know if this essential now. Have them here but don't use as have Wi-Fi. 2 routers, one up, one downstairs (hollowcore floor).

Have setup as many have promoted boot room, downstairs shower room and large utility/laundry room. Tbh l don't use that shower as strip all off and head for ensuite in bedroom. Rarely organised enough to have a change of clothes downstairs.
    It will be handy in years to come when using bedroom downstairs.

Another small diy thing l did for convenience was fit a pir photocell sensor on boot room light. When open back door now on dark winters night the light comes on. No looking for switches hidden behind jackets and leaving paw marks on wall with dirty hands. Handy in a space you are just briefly in.

Yea we do the same.
    WiFi throughout the house will run everything you need.
    Even coax cables are essentially redundant now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

My Tuppence worth,
    We built on the farm six years ago about 60 metres from the main yard. We built what is referred to as the 'upside down' house by friends kids. Kitchen, living area, small bathroom, office and kids playroom all upstairs and bedrooms, bathrooms, large utility room and dedicated mud room all downstairs.

The thinking behind it was to maximise the views as we overlook the sea and mountains and spend most of the time in the kitchen, living areas and want to see the views. It's fierce handy too for looking stock, seeing whats going on in fields and keeping an eye on things rather than being on the ground floor and having a restricted view.
    It also means the majority of the washing to be done, bed linen, clothes etc. are all on the same floor as the washing machine and don't have to be carted around the house, large hotpress on the ground floor too.

The washing machine sits on a plinth about two feet off the ground, the wife has a bad back and it reduced bending and lifting and means you just pull the washing out of the machine straight into the linen basket below the opening. The utility room has also three small clotheslines to take advantage of the ufh, we have no tumble drier. It has a chest freezer and full length worktop with sink which is handy when mixing beistings or milk for lambs, washing dirty hands.

The mudroom is solely for me/farm stuff, it has a washing machine only for farm clothes and a shower and boot rack and all the kids boots, hurling stuff is in there. It means i just come in the back door and go straight into the shower and change before i enter the main domain of the house, everything dirty is contained in this area.

Outside the back door is a covered walkway about two foot wide so you can take off your boots staying dry and also access the bins without getting wet.
    There is a set of external stairs with access to the kitchen, so you don't have to go through the house if you just want to go in for tae.

Bison slabs definitely needed if you go upstairs living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

My Tuppence worth,
    We built on the farm six years ago about 60 metres from the main yard. We built what is referred to as the 'upside down' house by friends kids. Kitchen, living area, small bathroom, office and kids playroom all upstairs and bedrooms, bathrooms, large utility room and dedicated mud room all downstairs.

The thinking behind it was to maximise the views as we overlook the sea and mountains and spend most of the time in the kitchen, living areas and want to see the views. It's fierce handy too for looking stock, seeing whats going on in fields and keeping an eye on things rather than being on the ground floor and having a restricted view.
    It also means the majority of the washing to be done, bed linen, clothes etc. are all on the same floor as the washing machine and don't have to be carted around the house, large hotpress on the ground floor too.

The washing machine sits on a plinth about two feet off the ground, the wife has a bad back and it reduced bending and lifting and means you just pull the washing out of the machine straight into the linen basket below the opening. The utility room has also three small clotheslines to take advantage of the ufh, we have no tumble drier. It has a chest freezer and full length worktop with sink which is handy when mixing beistings or milk for lambs, washing dirty hands.

The mudroom is solely for me/farm stuff, it has a washing machine only for farm clothes and a shower and boot rack and all the kids boots, hurling stuff is in there. It means i just come in the back door and go straight into the shower and change before i enter the main domain of the house, everything dirty is contained in this area.

Outside the back door is a covered walkway about two foot wide so you can take off your boots staying dry and also access the bins without getting wet.
    There is a set of external stairs with access to the kitchen, so you don't have to go through the house if you just want to go in for tae.

Bison slabs definitely needed if you go upstairs living.

Well done, sounds a great house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

AntrimGlen your giving me good motivation to start work on the upstairs here, for which I had a very similar idea, living space all on that level for the views and keep an eye on the farm!

Some wow ideas thanks everyone.

It seems an area to dry off clothes is a must I was hoping the aga in the kitchen could be used for this at night, my cousins do this. Garage isn’t attached to house but I’ll see if a cover over back door is possible. V unusual and lovely idea to have kitchen upstairs for the views but wouldn’t be for me - I’m not that adventurous!

It’s v difficult to avoid having a corridor inside back door if you don’t want to go straight into utility, I’m trying to come up with a way for himself or visitors to washup before coming into kitchen and not use up my pantry/kitchen/utility space at same time.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions v much appreciated.. I’ve a long road ahead of me to get it all right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Some wow ideas thanks everyone.

It seems an area to dry off clothes is a must I was hoping the aga in the kitchen could be used for this at night, my cousins do this. Garage isn’t attached to house but I’ll see if a cover over back door is possible. V unusual and lovely idea to have kitchen upstairs for the views but wouldn’t be for me - I’m not that adventurous!

It’s v difficult to avoid having a corridor inside back door if you don’t want to go straight into utility, I’m trying to come up with a way for himself or visitors to washup before coming into kitchen and not use up my pantry/kitchen/utility space at same time.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions v much appreciated.. I’ve a long road ahead of me to get it all right.

They say that by the time you build your 3rd house you'll have everything sussed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I built in last two years. Built what I call a mud room separate to the house. Has a shower toilet wash hand basin and a laundry room for dirty clothes. Tiled it al and sloped everything to two drains in the middle of each of the rooms so cleaning is easy.matter of mopping and hosing. It is heated with a small condenser boiler. There is never a farm smell in the house which is great. It was expensive to build at the time but i’m Glad now I did. Also handy for hiding out in

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Pod123

Some fantastic ideas and best of luck to everyone who is building.
    One thing we did is to have a hot and cold tap out side.
    Hands boots etc washed before coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

I have my sh!£ty clothes hanging up on a coat rack pants hoody jacket body warmer, wellies and boots on d ground. Loose tracksuit and runners takes me to the house, no smell of ****e in d house. We made a mistake not building the kitchen big enough, should have built it 30' x 18'. Our utility is 15'x 7' gud size contains washer, dryer, 900 integrated freezer and tidy sink. Alot of people make the mistake of skimping on the size of the utility. An idea for an office (just brainstorming): square room with door in the middle. Run worktop seamlessly along 3 walls with drawers underneath, drawers from IKEA and basic worktop would allow you to space different forms and literature out around d room easily on the cheap.
    Not long finished building here, best of luck with it and try to enjoy it.

I have my sh!£ty clothes hanging up on a coat rack pants hoody jacket body warmer, wellies and boots on d ground. Loose tracksuit and runners takes me to the house, no smell of ****e in d house. We made a mistake not building the kitchen big enough, should have built it 30' x 18'. Our utility is 15'x 7' gud size contains washer, dryer, 900 integrated freezer and tidy sink. Alot of people make the mistake of skimping on the size of the utility. An idea for an office (just brainstorming): square room with door in the middle. Run worktop seamlessly along 3 walls with drawers underneath, drawers from IKEA and basic worktop would allow you to space different forms and literature out around d room easily on the cheap.
    Not long finished building here, best of luck with it and try to enjoy it.

Thanks some really practical ideas there. So far the ground floor is at 152sq m and I still feel it’s tight on space for utility and kitchen. I’m not v good with sizes and so far the kitchen is 4500 x 4250 and the utility is 3000 x 4250 - I’m clueless as to how big this is but at the minute we’re trying to get layout right and then look at room sizes.

Himself now thinks a separate shower/toilet in utility would be useful and have another one in hall for visitors.. I’m of the opinion we won’t be having that many visitors so it’s a waste to have two and means more for me to clean.

Also the architect is very keen on putting in a playroom we have no children, and no plans for them so this drives me mad. I never had one growing up but I’ve been told it’s useful for a few years, but at the minute I’d prefer to see that space used elsewhere if necessary...

House is apparently a good size but on paper everything seems so tight for space and I’m scared it’ll all seem claustrophobic!

Would it be easier for you to visualise feet and inches?
    Can you get a spray can and draw out the ground floor plan on a concrete yard?
    What is the actual ground floor width and length?

blue5000 wrote: »
    Would it be easier for you to visualise feet and inches?
    Can you get a spray can and draw out the ground floor plan on a concrete yard?
    What is the actual ground floor width and length?

14,750 x 10,050 I think, would that make sense. Yea drawing it some evening on the beach might help.

I don’t know anyone else who had built a house so v difficult to get info, thanks everyone who has contributed here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Just on the back toilet /wash room area. Where ever you plan on washing your hands, make sure the was Hand basin is big enough to get you elbows into for a good wash.
    Made the mistake here and basin is way to small to the extent I would destroy the place if any more than a rinse. Her self gave up and I now use the kitchen sink to give the arms a good wash.

Since we renovated and moved into the farm house. I leave all wellies wet gear etc down the yard in the parlour plant room where it is a bit warmer, I gave clean work boots and a light jacket to change into when going up to the house. Nothing worse than trying to get past a back door full of dirty gear and sh1t stains every where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Thanks some really practical ideas there. So far the ground floor is at 152sq m and I still feel it’s tight on space for utility and kitchen. I’m not v good with sizes and so far the kitchen is 4500 x 4250 and the utility is 3000 x 4250 - I’m clueless as to how big this is but at the minute we’re trying to get layout right and then look at room sizes.

Himself now thinks a separate shower/toilet in utility would be useful and have another one in hall for visitors.. I’m of the opinion we won’t be having that many visitors so it’s a waste to have two and means more for me to clean.

Also the architect is very keen on putting in a playroom we have no children, and no plans for them so this drives me mad. I never had one growing up but I’ve been told it’s useful for a few years, but at the minute I’d prefer to see that space used elsewhere if necessary...

House is apparently a good size but on paper everything seems so tight for space and I’m scared it’ll all seem claustrophobic!

If the ground floor is 152 sqm, it’s big. You won’t be tight on space. The house will need to be cleaned and maintained, and you can only be in one room at a time! A playroom is a good idea, or even a room downstairs that could be a playroom now if you plan on having kids, (obviously if you don’t, that’s a different story), and later a spare bedroom, that could be used by yourselves if you needed downstairs accommodation later in life.

Advertisement