Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get back on the road

Options
  • 24-06-2019 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all I'm 37 years old , my bike licence has lapsed with about 10 years , I know I have to do theory test and IBT .
    My question for you guys is what size bike am I restricted to drive , I have my eye on a Harley Davidson street 750, am I only dreaming or could I drive it once I have required training done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

At 37 do the theory test get your class "A" permit, do the IBT and you're only restricted to what the insurance companies will quote you on.
    At your age shouldn't be a problem getting quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Darranj85

I have my eye on a Harley Davidson street 750, am I only dreaming or could I drive it once I have required training done.

Id imagine the power to weight would be low enough to drive that yoke. See if you can get the specs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Welcome back! Try and find the time and money to get some lessons from a professional instructor, ideally do some advanced riding lessons. One of the biggest risks to you as a 'born-again biker' will be habits you've gained from driving cars for the past few years and a few lessons will re-calibrate your reactions.

Theres no reason not to get the Harley but I'd always advise spending a few months on something lighter and more responsive while you develop your roadcraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,021 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Darranj85 wrote: »
    Id imagine the power to weight would be low enough to drive that yoke. See if you can get the specs

OP can get a class A learner permit, so no restriction on cc, power or power/weight.

Might not be able to take the class A test on that bike, though.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

OP can get a class A learner permit, so no restriction on cc, power or power/weight.

Might not be able to take the class A test on that bike, though.

Doubtful you'd be able to use it for full as a standard 883 is only A2 compliant,
    Sure can always rent a school bike for a few quid

• Advertisement

Welcome back! Try and find the time and money to get some lessons from a professional instructor, ideally do some advanced riding lessons. One of the biggest risks to you as a 'born-again biker' will be habits you've gained from driving cars for the past few years and a few lessons will re-calibrate your reactions.

Theres no reason not to get the Harley but I'd always advise spending a few months on something lighter and more responsive while you develop your roadcraft.

He'll have to do the whole rigmarole of theory test, permit, ibt, 6 months then full.
    So he'll have to do lessons regardless, can't get your full without an ibt now and insurance isn't valid .

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

I'm trying to understand this. I haven't owned a bike in many years, but my current licence, issued in 2011, still shows A category intact.

How come people are losing the category, and should I be worried?

Breezin wrote: »
    I'm trying to understand this. I haven't owned a bike in many years, but my current licence, issued in 2011, still shows A category intact.

How come people losing the category, and should I be worried?

If you had the full with a full car and kept renewing when required the you won't lose it. If however you let a licence/permit laps for a specific period of time you can't just renew it you've to go through the process all over again.
    If you have a full licence with let's say a bike, car and lorry, as long as you renew you'll keep them if you let it laps you won't

• Registered Users Posts: 34,021 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When you renew your licence, make sure it has all of the categories your old one had

For some strange reason, motorcycle entitlement has been known to be "accidentally" left off...

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

I wonder why they would accidentally on purpose drop them? Seems rather mean-spirited to do it on the sly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hi all I'm 37 years old , my bike licence has lapsed with about 10 years , I know I have to do theory test and IBT .
    My question for you guys is what size bike am I restricted to drive , I have my eye on a Harley Davidson street 750, am I only dreaming or could I drive it once I have required training done.

My neighbour just got a new Street 750 and can ride it on a learner permit. Nice bike.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement