Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Herd test completion date

• 24-06-2019 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Are the dept. Strict on the date they specify the herd test has to be completed by, supposed to have it done by the end of next week but under pressure with other stuff on. If it was a week late would they kick up a storm or penalise somehow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

k mac wrote: »
    Are the dept. Strict on the date they specify the herd test has to be completed by, supposed to have it done by the end of next week but under pressure with other stuff on. If it was a week late would they kick up a storm or penalise somehow.

No, a wek late be grand in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I was a week late a few times and there was no problem. If it went on too long they could lock up your herd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I was a week late a few times and there was no problem. If it went on too long they could lock up your herd.

You will get locked up if test is not complete with the 1 year date. You can buy in but not sell out. However not a huge issue. I was 3-4 weeks late one year. I think now they backdate it like an NCT. The test is valid only form 12 months from your last test end date

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

They do give a bit of lee-way. One year I hurt my ankle and wasn't able to get a neighbour to help for a couple of weeks. I rang them with my tale of woe, ended up with my test being almost a month over the completion date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

They are OK enough about it, once you have it booked they tend not to get to concerned about it. The only snag is if they are paying for a spot test then they might not pay for it if you don't have it completed by said date. As said above once it goes past the completion date your herd will be restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

k mac wrote: »
    if you ring up with a valid excuse they will defer it for u; got it done a few yrs ago was put back a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

High bike wrote: »
    if you ring up with a valid excuse they will defer it for u; got it done a few yrs ago was put back a month

I got mine put back a month this year. I rang the DVO and gave them plenty of notice. My reasons were I was just after finished lambing and too much to do at that time of year. DVO granted it however they locked me up for the month.

I am hoping the new test date will be set annually now.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭k mac

Am going to book it now for 2 days after the completion date so once they are read it will be only 5 days over so think i wont bother ringing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Aravo

Have herd test each summer. It's a right pain rounding everything up, for the test and then the retest. It would suit much better to test during the winter as all would be indoors. Would I encounter any resistance from dept. on this. Also another pet hate. The vet is old school with a pen and book and muggings here doing the writing. Do most vets use tag readers at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Aravo wrote: »
    Have herd test each summer. It's a right pain rounding everything up, for the test and then the retest. It would suit much better to test during the winter as all would be indoors. Would I encounter any resistance from dept. on this. Also another pet hate. The vet is old school with a pen and book and muggings here doing the writing. Do most vets use tag readers at this stage.

With as long as I have my place my vet used am input reader. He puts in the last 4-5 numbers. This bring up the applicable animals. If it is a heifers or s bullock's he is able to select the animal. If 2 animals have the same last digits he checks the rest of the numbers..
    65 animals on two places,10-12 miles apart done in less than 3 hours. Slap bang thank you mam.
    Any body knows what that means PM's only

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

If you can’t complete Annual Herd Test on time is it best to contact your Vet first and arrange an alternative date as soon as possible after original Dept date or should you contact the Dept first to explain that test will be done after the one year completion date.

Thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Slap bang thank you mam.
    Any body knows what that means PM's only

Wham Bang, Thank You Ma'am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWuqWElB8Ic

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

If you can’t complete Annual Herd Test on time is it best to contact your Vet first and arrange an alternative date as soon as possible after original Dept date or should you contact the Dept first to explain that test will be done after the one year completion date.

Thanks for any replies.

Contact the Dept, give a reason and ask for an extension.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

greysides wrote: »
    Contact the Dept, give a reason and ask for an extension.

Thanks....pm sent.

Advertisement