Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban on fur farming

Options
  • 24-06-2019 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

Is this the start of vegan and animal rights groups banning farming.
    Will pig and poultry farming be next maybe dairy farming if they are to be believed that cows are being raped and baby calves being stolen from their mothers.
    The IFA would have protested about this once but it seems ok now to close down an Irish farming sector and put hardworking people out of work.
    Another attack on rural Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Its horrifically unethical tbh....and offers nothing positive to the world

Ever been on a fur farm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

https://www.truthaboutfur.com/en/fur-farming
    No l haven't but spoke to someone who worked on one in Norway.
    I have been on pig and poultry farms and hear a lot of bad press about that and also about dairy farms and have found in all farm sectors animals are well cared for and looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Much of the same objectors are against the shearing and keeping sheep.

Been a couple of high profile campaigns on this in recent years. The objectors reckon that shearing sheep should be banned and that wool is not needed.

My personal objection to fur farms is that the introduction of non native species which come from wild populations (non domestic). Once these ex predators escape or as is the case have been deliberatly released by antis they wreck havoc on our native wildlife. That said the remaining fur farms are properly one of the most inspected and regulated sectors in the country.

But yeah we have eejits protesting against all types of farming. And some of these are violent thugs who will do anything to achieve their aims. That's the we live in.

Why don’t Ms Coppinger and pals do something useful. Like ban sulky racing. After all, she claims to be against animal cruelty.

Much easier to go after something that was on the way out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Why don’t Ms Coppinger and pals do something useful. Like ban sulky racing. After all, she claims to be against animal cruelty.

Much easier to go after something that was on the way out anyway.

Sulky racing is quite popular the world over and in some countries more popular than horse jumping

It just needs regulating imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Wouldn't sulky racing be apart of a protected ethnic culture?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Is fur farming considered part of rural ireland? Not in my part anyway, never even heard of it until all the mink were released in the north a little while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I don’t like the idea of animals being caged 24/7/365.

However I think banning sectors of farming without proper research and basing it on what others are doing that looks popular is a very worrying trend by this government.

They did the same when declaring the climate emergency, Varadkar admitted it was a stunt a sort of solidarity thing rather than an actual emergency, other countries were doing it and he wanted to be making the same populist noises but without any of our own research and evidence.

This is a worrying trend with this government. It’s all optics and sound bites rather than evidence based solid decisions. I’d worry for any sector of farming that some do gooder group can make enough noise about, this government will listen and react without proper thought or insight.

There was a retired fur farmer of 30 years on mat cooper this evening and I thought he spoke rashly and represented it poorly.

His main argument was fur farming couldn’t be cruel because he’d spent 30 years doing it and he wouldn’t be doing cruel stuff for 30 years, but we know serial killers can operate for that long so it was a poorly thought out argument.
    He also said it was ok because mink are just mindless animals, bad choice of words.

He should have had the Cork based TD who was speaking against him bang to rights and he’d been campaigning to stop fur farming but admitted he had never ever visited an Irish fur farm to see the animals or even spoken to anyone who had, he was basing his opinion on YouTube videos which apparently works as research for government policy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Base price

gozunda wrote: »
    Much of the same objectors are against the shearing and keeping sheep.

Been a couple of high profile campaigns on this in recent years. The objectors reckon that shearing sheep should be banned and that wool is not needed.

My personal objection to fur farms is that the introduction of non native species which come from wild populations (non domestic). Once these ex predators escape or as is the case have been deliberatly released by antis they wreck havoc on our native wildlife. That said the remaining fur farms are properly one of the most inspected and regulated sectors in the country.

But yeah we have eejits protesting against all types of farming. And some of these are violent thugs who will do anything to achieve their aims. That's the we live in.
    +1

I have no objection to anyone wearing fur or skins and imo most objectors have never worn them. My favourite winter attire is a coney jacket that I have for nearly 30 years. I occasionally get berated by vegans/veggies etc and tbh when I ask them how much fossil fuel is used to make their synthetic clothes they shut up.

Pic that I took a few mins ago of my coney jacket. It's as good as when I got it first and still fits me :)

Advertisement