Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing bath taps

Options
  • 24-06-2019 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello, seems the washer in my shower diverter is kaput. The taps appear sealed in to place and I can’t unscrew the diverter to replace the washer. The bath is also tiled on the side panel. Is the only option to unseal the taps and replace the whole thing? Only quote so far is €250 so trying to work out if YouTube and patient would have to right
    Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,907 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Bath taps can be a tough job for a plumber let alone a DIY person. Personally I'd get a plumber to do the work. You might get a better quote.

Regardless of who does the job (you or a plumber) I'm betting you'd like to save the bath panel. If you have or hire an angle grinder with a good skinny blade then you might be able to cut out an access hatch that can fit back in when the job is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Bath taps can be a tough job for a plumber let alone a DIY person. Personally I'd get a plumber to do the work. You might get a better quote.

Regardless of who does the job (you or a plumber) I'm betting you'd like to save the bath panel. If you have or hire an angle grinder with a good skinny blade then you might be able to cut out an access hatch that can fit back in when the job is done.

+1

Even if you can cut the tiled panel you will end up with undesirable vertical cuts on some of those full tiles because their stretcher bond. It's not an easy job, especially trying to loosen those tap back nuts with a standard adjustable basin wrench.

Advertisement