Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this?

Options
  • 05-05-2019 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Found this guy struggling to get up off the ground in the greenhouse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Picture?

Working on it. My phone is acting the eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Cockchafer beetle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cockchafer bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Thanks. It sounded like someone driving a Honda 50 when it eventually took off. Cool looking thing.

"They live underground for four or five years, feeding on the roots of plants and getting steadily larger. At this stage they can be a bit of a nuisance because the roots they eat include things like potatoes and carrots.

Early in the autumn, mature larvae pupate and, about six weeks later, turn into beetles. The beetles stay underground; sometimes in cold weather they will burrow as deep as a metre below the surface. Then, the following May when the soil warms up, they make their way to the surface and fly off to look for a mate. Another name for them is May Bug."

Yep..It's May! Hope the larvae are not feeding on the roots of all my stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Otherwise know as May bugs :)
    The larvae are weird looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and whats this...

beetle.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

hello good people...

i see these tiny insects (2mm long) in & around my window sill each morning any idea what they are..

insect.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Unfortunately it's a Furniture Beetle or Woodworm Beetle, they emerge from infected timber around this time after spending several years happily eating away at it.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_furniture_beetle

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

thats strange my window sill seems solid, any treatment you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

They're most likely emerging from infected timber within the house and flying to the 'light' of the windows. Once they've emerged the damage is done, you have to try stop eggs being laid and treat any larvae still ensconced. They're possibly coming from an old item of furniture that may be easy to treat or dispose of. Worst case would be if they are in the roof timbers of the house, professional treatment is the recommended route to go then.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Is this friend or foe?

484608.jpg

484609.jpg

484610.jpg

It's maybe three or four mm long. Is it some sort of grasshopper larva?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

vine weevil larva, i think. did you find it in loose soil?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes, it was in a large bag of soil I had in the shed.

Shall I throw it in the grass for the birds to find and give it a chance to escape, or should I squish it?

Advertisement