Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairline crack around inside of patio door frame

Options
  • 22-06-2019 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭

I have a large sliding patio door and have noticed a hairline crack around teh inside of most of teh frame, and in one or two places a small piece of plaster (maybe 2-3mm wide and 15mm long) has popped out. Should I be overly concerned about this? It is probably just normal shrinkage/movement I am hoping, but what would be the best thing to fill it with? Something like decorator's caulk / flexible filler like this?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002NKS30E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A1D8KIFGI9PTVE&psc=1

Sorry, if it's a stupid question - am pretty new to DIY! :o
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Is it new in? I wouldn't be to worried it does happen is the render painted? If not you will need some sand and cement to patch up the big ones. But if your not too fussy pollyfiller will do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Thanks Keith - no it's in about 12 years now. It's painted alright - will give it a go with the filler and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

If its only 2/3mm along the frame it might be easier run a 4mm bead of silicon around frame where it meats the plaster. The frame probably moves a fraction when sliding the door closed amd the filler will possibly pop out again when it does

Advertisement